First 90 minutes with the Excalibur11

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As this MD is heavy I decided to put it in a Bungee Harness, this was ok but I have a bad habit of pushing the MD out in front of me to far so my arm is still doing all the work and carrying all the weight. After an hour my arm was aching a lot, anyway when I got home I adjusted the Harness and as long as I swing it close to me and let the Harness carry the weight I think it will be fine. I just need a bit of time to get things setup correctly. The Excalibur itself worked great, I used it in pinpoint mode and switched to discrim as I found the targets and it did reject everything it found. It really makes some strange sounds, I got a really high pitch sound that the discrim rejected so I dug it anyway and sure enough it was a new coin that now have tin in them. With the old coins it does not reject them so this is ideal, and to top it all I never saw any rust at all (luxury). Going out again this afternoon for another 2 hours or so and I hope to be better setup for it, so far so good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Paul, I just pulled mine out of the stock shaft. Most people use 1/4" plastic bolts for the control pod and the spring clip thingy for the battery. The handle is a handlebar extension for a bicycle. The heavy duty armcuff is from Plugger via Fleabay. I bought the aluminum tubing at welding supply house.
The angled handle helps balance the machine out to almost neutral and it hangs on index finger for perfect swinging setup. View attachment 1360893
Thanks I have got all the parts on order and I think I may have got the same handlebar part as yourself. How long is the shaft you used and I see you have everything mounted behind the armcuff, how is that for balance? I see a lot that have the handle and cuff over the controls, whats best?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks I have got all the parts on order and I think I may have got the same handlebar part as yourself. How long is the shaft you used and I see you have everything mounted behind the armcuff, how is that for balance? I see a lot that have the handle and cuff over the controls, whats best?

Look up the sizes anderson/plugger use and then measure/test to customize for yourself. Behind the elbow was 10x better than under the elbow. I tried them both. The under the elbow was no better than stock for me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Behind the elbow has more counter balance, the length of the shaft is personal preference. I like mine longer as it allows a wider sweep which means more coverage per pass and less steps to cover a specific area.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Make's sense guys just need to find out the best length for the shaft.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474314464.796641.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474314480.428721.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474314492.213427.jpg

These measurements are from lower rod end and should get you in the ballpark. Overall length is 43".

(Disregard all the extra holes, it is also drilled to fit a DualField machine)

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Thanks Fletch the tube I have ordered is 1m or 39" so I think I will need it all. When I ordered it I was going to put the controls under my arm not behind it.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Think I better order a 1.2m to make sure.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Good Luck paul. Nothing beats a nice custom homemade shaft for the Excal...

IMG_3672.JPG

Think I better order a 1.2m to make sure.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
My 7/8" tube arrived today 22.2mm with 1.6 walls = 19mm ID yes, no not this one, this one= 18.5mm and don't fit. So I used part of it to make a hip mount so I can get out this weekend and not have a lot of arm ache. I have ordered another tube that will arrive next week. 004.jpg 005.jpg

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paul, I mount the unit on my back (belt line). The headphone line is on my digging side and the power and coil wire on the swinging side. When I'm digging a target, I rest the unit against my side. Make sure to leave plenty of cord so you don't stress any connections. If the unit falls to the ground, there is still slack.

The photo is a velcro modification I did to prevent any stress on the wires. As Treasure Hunter correctly advises, this will cause you an expensive repair bill. I have 100's of hours on the unit set up this way. I found using the hip mount on my side caused too much contact with the unit after about 5 minutes. I also very rarely switch modes but I've perfected the behind the back technique.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474587621.320688.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474587646.722629.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Thanks that looks good.