Just a quick question about the deeper water

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am barely broken in with water detecting, and would call this my first real year. Although I only got to water 6-7 times. The basic question is.............. Do those Scuba guys that can go into deeper water do significantly better than the "water to your chest" guys ? I can"t see length of time as a factor, as anyone can shallow detect all day if he wants. So is going that extra bit of depth a significant advantage for the under water crowd ? I feel that there must be something to this, as most serious beach/lake swimmers seem to swim a bit further out from the crowds. At the same time, there must be a jewelry "cut off zone" were it just doesn't make sense to go past, which is likely too deep for me as a wader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The top ring finders are the ones who wade in shallow to deep but we also do the time, other then scuba diver, who has 50
So far for 2016

OBN0414.jpg

Location is the key...And playing the tides. Here's a great location...

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting out deeper for a few different reasons
1) fresh water spots were getting hammered in shallow by guys with land machine that either hunted up to just below the box or they found a way to detatch the box of their land machines and put it inside their waders - then the first long shaft water machines started coming out (they hand small hand held ones for divers for years) so these guys started hunting with waders and bathing suits in warm weather - up to the limit of their waders or up to their chests without them. The same started to happen in salt water - but guys in waders were/are limited if salt water is rough - I would go to spots and if there were many hunters already there - I would try to go where they weren't - so I started wearing a wet suit and mask and going out beyond where they did. ...and I found gold and other goodies. Yes at some spots I found less than the people hitting in close as far as fresh drops go - but I was hitting areas that others just did not get out to ---so when the season was over - they would clean the new drops out but I could still go deeper and get some new and still some old.
2) I believe the waters are rising - anyone that lives by or detects the oceans I would hope would realized it too. There I spots I went to as a kid where the water was 100 yrds from the parking lot and its now only 50 yrds away . I have many spots that I could walk out 20 to 40 yards from the shore at low tide and get out to certain points that now even at a great negative low tides I can not any more. WHat this means at some spots - specially the ones that go out real gradual - places 20 yrs ago where at low tide you would be standing in waist deep water - you may now be in chest deep water and where you would have been in chest deep water at low tide then - you'll be over your head now. Many of our salt water beaches they put the swim buoys in closer so they can use less life guards - less area to cover - less distance for people to get out to... years ago - I don't remember any limits or buoys when I was akid - I also remember more drownings. So I hit out at some spots as far as I can and I get gold and other goodies way way out there still. other hunters cant believe how far I go out and though I don't find a ton most times - I seem to get a few gold and silver out there.
3) almost every fresh water spot and most saltwater spots I went to as a kid - they all had diving platforms or floating rafts in deeper water - ideally - if you can find these spots and believe me its not that hard if you take time to do some research - these areas are gold mines for any one that dives, but if you can find the areas in front that people swam to get to them you can do good using snorkeling or hitting at extreme low tides or extreme draughts.
up here 99% of these structures are gone - once again due to drownings mostly
examples
9088d99db.jpg 238090474.jpg MA.ONST.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On an ocean beach, no, the Scuba guy has no advantage.

On a lake where boaters gather and there are swim and dock platforms in deeper water, yes, the Scuba guy has an advantage.

:occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOPE TO PROVE YOU WRONG ON MONDAY - I'll be hitting an ocean beach that had platforms in deeper water and a pier that went out far from the beach and gave small steam boat rides in the early 1900s - (Ive actually hit there years ago with hookah and found old silver and old gold out there)
this place is pretty darn cleaned out from chin deep at low to the shore - so advantage Casper Im hoping - will be using snuba if conditions are good

On a lake where boaters gather and there are swim and dock platforms in deeper water, yes, the Scuba guy has an advantage.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liking this Good reading, especially with my first cup of coffee.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'll be looking for where these were - on Monday - it wont be hard - I think they left the cement blocks that held the platform-
though there were other platforms at this bch over the yrs - these are the oldest - circa 1905 I think
attachment.php

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'll be looking for where these were - on Monday - it wont be hard - I think they left the cement blocks that held the platform-
though there were other platforms at this bch over the yrs - these are the oldest - circa 1905 I think
attachment.php

Man at the research,,,,,where do you find all these old site specific photos? After all these years Casper, and after all the different weather that has come and gone since, would not most targets
get relocated , or too deep, etc. ? Very interesting and can't wait to hear and see your outcome on this one....GL

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW ENGLAND HAS LOTS AND LOTS OF COVES AND BAYS - THERE ARE ONLY A FEW THAT GET WRECK BY STORMS - UNLESS THERES A HURRICANE - MOST STUFF JUST SINKS - THIS IS AN OCEAN SPOT BUT AS IN PIC - MOST DAYS ARE CALM LIKE THIS - I HUNT IN ALL METAL THERE IS STUFF HERE DOWN 2 FEET - AND IVE GOTTEN BUNCH IN CLOSE AT THAT DEPTH - USED TO HUNT HERE WITH A PI - BUT EVEN IF I CANT REACH THE DEEP STUFF - THEY HAD PLATFORMS OUT THERE INTO THE 70S I THINK - SO I MAY FIND NEWER OLD GOLD NOT QUITE AS DEEP - I WENT THERE LIKE 14 YRS AGO WITH A HOOKAH A FEW TIMES AND HUNT FOR JUST A SHORT TIME IN LIKE 6-7 FEET OF WATER BOUT 100 YRDS TO THE RIGHT OF WHERE THESE PLATFORMS WERE - I GOT BARBER COINS AND 3 OLD GOLD ALONG WITH ALOT OF GREENIES - BACK THEN I WAS NOT WEIGHTED PROPERLY AND HAD HARD TIME USING A HANDSCOOP - I USE A BIG KNIFE INSTEAD AND USE PLENTY OF WEIGHT NOW A DAYS - HOPING TO SHOW SOMETHING GOOD - IF CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT
I MAY EVEN TRY DOING A VIDEO

Man at the research,,,,,where do you find all these old site specific photos? After all these years Casper, and after all the different weather that has come and gone since, would not most targets
get relocated , or too deep, etc. ? Very interesting and can't wait to hear and see your outcome on this one....GL

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, much appreciated. You were easy on me considering that I was asking to be spoon fed, and too lazy to research.............much appreciated indeed.:icon_thumright:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Shallows are hammered here in the fresh water lakes. I go where others can't or don't. I clean up on old gold. This picture was 3 months of playing.

This picture was 3 months of playing this year:

As OBN said, you have to put in the time no matter where you hunt. You are probably not going to find new drops out deep. Once the old stuff is gone, it is gone.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i dive 90 percent of the time but find 90 percent of my gold wading....still love to treasure dive tho, been doing it since 93, if your gonna do it do it cuz you love to dive and if you find gold....bonus

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read fellas.. I hunt freshwater only and do find nice stuff deeper just not as much....Agree most easy stuff /pickins gets snagged first.. still wading only ...looking to progress to snuba ..or similar in future when I can get more playtime...Retirement if that ever happens..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread