CTX 3030 using 6" coil @ Beach ?

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As title says, CTX users, have you tried the 6 incher at the beach? how do you feel with it? I own the 11 and 17, but thinking in adding the 6" just for the sake of better target separation in the iron infested beach I go to hunt, or should I just save my $$ and ditch the idea? Cause 6" at a beach would be like ... 8 hrs for 50 sq yards lmao

Also to do things a bit challenging for the CTX, the $1, $2 and $5 peso coins are bi-metallic, the outer ring being stainles steel and even though I've made a custom program to detect them still keeping the iron out, the composition of this coins might fool the ctx sometimes Id say ? Thats why I have the idea of the 6" in my head.

Thanks in advance! HH

EDIT: Also add the 10x5" if used at the beach or is it still very small?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can not imagine a beach that's so "iron-infested" , that it mimics ghost-townsy environments. That merits a hockey-puck coil like that. The only beaches I've seen that fit-that-bill , are pocket beaches (bays and inlets) that are protected from the normal in/out action of the surf. And that are right-butted against heavy pedestrian usage. With burned-down piers/wharves, etc...

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As title says, CTX users, have you tried the 6 incher at the beach? how do you feel with it? I own the 11 and 17, but thinking in adding the 6" just for the sake of better target separation in the iron infested beach I go to hunt, or should I just save my $$ and ditch the idea? Cause 6" at a beach would be like ... 8 hrs for 50 sq yards lmao

Also to do things a bit challenging for the CTX, the $1, $2 and $5 peso coins are bi-metallic, the outer ring being stainles steel and even though I've made a custom program to detect them still keeping the iron out, the composition of this coins might fool the ctx sometimes Id say ? Thats why I have the idea of the 6" in my head.

Thanks in advance! HH

Heck, just go for it......if it works, it works.....if not, no huge loss. Just another coil to add to your arsenal for future applications.....8-)

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Inhave have hunted with the stock cool now for almost two years. I ran into one spot with lots of small aluminum foil. Lots. I wanted the 6" coil then. Pretty much the only time I ever saw the need.

Its a a good coil. It's just site specific. On the beach you can use it, but you might want the coverage of the 11 inch coil.

You might prefer the coiltech 10 x 5 little better at pp and not as much loss of coverage.

Gl -Joe

Thanks in advance! HH

Maximilian

Oct 13, 2014
Montenegro
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Excalibur II,Equinox 800, Goldscan 4...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have CTX , but if i have it i will get 6''coil .Several beaches i hunt r heavily infested with iron , mostly nails. And only thing u can hear it from Excalibur is nulling. This will not be that much problem if they r not hotspots.
In around 50m of beach we dig out more than 50 rings in one year in low /high tide area. On dry sand is not problem i use deus , but near by water deus is not best choice. I was present when my detecting buddy find gold ring in wet sand with my deus between 2 holes i make around 40 cm one from another . No way that my Excalibur coil didn't go across that ring , but he was masked with some iron. And he was using big coil on deus.
On this spot we apply specific technique , take shovel and dig hole without detector, when u dig enough grovel then take detector and search the sand we dig. Then repeat the process . It is very fiscally demanding so we use it only when conditions on other areas r very poor.Multiple gold targets were dig out using this method . In this case we prefer to use deus to search grovel we dig since Excalibur will null and not react on small gold chains. So now i am waiting new deus high frequency coil for this application to see how it will work.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks in advance! HH

I use the 10 x 5 instead of the 6 inch round because of the coverage, best place is high tide line, especially when the beach was recently eroded and is now filling back in. It hits nicely on stud earrings/chains at beach entrances, around beach chairs, and in volleyball courts. You can easily run it hot if you want.

It is handy to have, as it gives you targets on an otherwise sanded in/quiet beach or at high tide. But it is not a substitute for the 11 inch coil ( not enough depth for most mid/low beach areas ).

HH.

Charles

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
For me, it depends on beach conditions. If the beach is sanded in I'll hunt the towel lines. When I do I take the 17. Maximum coverage with no real care about depth even thought the 17 still goes WAY DEEP. When it's water time I go to the 10 or even better I use my excal.. No worries about numbers or deciphering whether or not I should dig. If it pp's and it discrims I DIG IT! Sometimes the CTX is simply over complicated... I love em both though.

OP
OP
M

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah I'd guess it all narrows down to beach conditions and area I'm interested in detecting, pretty sure I'll be getting the 10x5, thanks everyone :)

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
if you think it can work go for it. i have the 17'' coil on mine and my 11'' is still sitting in the box brand new. Im still waiting for a time when i can justify using it

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it depends on beach conditions. If the beach is sanded in I'll hunt the towel lines. When I do I take the 17. Maximum coverage with no real care about depth even thought the 17 still goes WAY DEEP. When it's water time I go to the 10 or even better I use my excal.. No worries about numbers or deciphering whether or not I should dig. If it pp's and it discrims I DIG IT! Sometimes the CTX is simply over complicated... I love em both though.

If you are even looking at your screen when water hunting with a CTX, you are using it wrong. You set the disc pattern and responses you want, and then you dig everything that beeps, just like the excal. The CTX is a land machine that just happens to work well in salt water, it doesnt mean you have to use it the exact same way

As for beach hunting with a 6 inch coil, that would be a very, very hard call. It would have to have some great possibilities to move to a tiny coil like that. I suppose if you think there is a lot of gold and silver hiding there among a ton of nails, then go for it and see if you are correct. You may be the only one willing to hunt through the trash.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The thing is this ... the Mexican $1, $2 and $5 pesos are bimetallic, the outer ring being stainless steel and the center is a bronze alloy, the small 5c and 10c are stainless too, and the 20c and 50c are bronze alloys though they are now being made of stainless as well since 2009! (WTF cheap a$$ government). So the CTX does a frickin AMAZING job by being able to discriminate this coins, even having the stainless ring and even the full stainless ones out of junk and garbage Iron, though I'm 99% sure it might be fooled a lot of times if there is a lot of targets in the ground using a big coil, just the nature of FBS tech, cant be perfect in every way, so thats why I was thinking in a smaller coil.

monedas-mexico.png

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is this ... the Mexican $1, $2 and $5 pesos are bimetallic, the outer ring being stainless steel and the center is a bronze alloy, the small 5c and 10c are stainless too, and the 20c and 50c are bronze alloys though they are now being made of stainless as well since 2009! (WTF cheap a$$ government). So the CTX does a frickin AMAZING job by being able to discriminate this coins, even having the stainless ring and even the full stainless ones out of junk and garbage Iron, though I'm 99% sure it might be fooled a lot of times if there is a lot of targets in the ground using a big coil, just the nature of FBS tech, cant be perfect in every way, so thats why I was thinking in a smaller coil.

View attachment 1364308

Reminds me of the last time I used a PI detector. It was in Grand Cayman, and that country switched to an iron core coins with a nickle cladding. They null out on everything, but of course the PI picks them easy as can be. Those iron coins were the ONLY thing I found on the beach that trip. Obviously I was hunting behind someone with discrimination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread