Hitting the beach

treasureaddict

Apr 17, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be south of Sebastian inlet looking for Spanish treasure, 60 80 winds , strong surf and low tide at 7:01 in the morning Saturday, not getting any better then that image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck! I have a friend that used to work at a Bait Shop on Sebastian Inlet named Jeff Shames. If you ever run into him, tell him hi from Steve Sims.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless you live there, your not even going to get close to there until 2 to 3 days after the storm.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they shoot looter in Fla.

OP
OP
T

treasureaddict

Apr 17, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you may be right Mr. lord, I've lived here my whole life and fished the inlet quite often, hopefully the storm turns a little west and misses the whole east coast for all our patriotic friends.
see u there, you trying to deter me btw?lol

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the damage the island maybe closed to anyone but specific personal, I know here on the treasure coast the island was closed after Francis and gene till crews could come in. Be safe either way and patient

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll see soon. Hope it's not like Hurricane Andrew.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Be Safe n Good Luck, Dean cleaned house a few years ago...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WAS DOWN THERE YRS BACK - ONLY ONES ALLOWED TO HUNT DAY AFTER WERE THE POLICE - OTHER POLICE WERE KICKING EVERYONE ELSE OFF
THEY WERE TOWING DETECTORISTS CARS THAT WERE PARKED ON SIDES OF THE ROAD OR GIVING TICKETS

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
unless you live there, your not even going to get close to there until 2 to 3 days after the storm.

Quick question. Would 2 or 3 days later be to late? I'm pretty new to the hobby and I'm off work next week trying to figure out if going to the east coast is worth it.

OP
OP
T

treasureaddict

Apr 17, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent Thread, Aquanut
I hope the storm turns east and settles down

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question. Would 2 or 3 days later be to late? I'm pretty new to the hobby and I'm off work next week trying to figure out if going to the east coast is worth it.
the storm won't be here until Friday and they have all ready shut down all the beaches on the east coast of Fla. that ott to tell you some thing. On Thursday at or around 12 PM is high tide with +4 normal ,but with this storm most of the east coast will be under water at 12PM.at least 5 to 10 feet. In coming tides are always bad on this kind of storm. Good luck east coast of Fla.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was close I would offer help and assistance like we do with the floods here. Everyone helping.Be hard to not want to detect after everyone is ok. Good luck. We have many members in that area.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful. May be a war zone in parts of Florida. Downed live power lines can ruin your whole day.

Deltanimal

Oct 2, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck. This storm looks like it is going to bring decent waves to stir up the bottoms!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Every storm is different but several years ago Bill hit OC MD and I was there with in 12 hours. First day was like a turkey shoot, rings, coins every where. Second day less, third day things were getting bleak, fourth day you could not buy a target, that bad.. so I would say ASAP, but be safe. I ended up with 7 or 8 gold rings, several silvers.. I think my total ring count was 21...

Timing is everything...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron is correct, they close the bridges to the beaches down so you have to be there before they are closed down. You don't want to be sitting in a car during a cat 3 or 4 hurricane either so you need a place to bunker down too...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

jsturg

Mar 18, 2005
Eldersburg, MD
Detector(s) used
Brain
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've been there during and after storms but nothing of this magnitude. I talked to someone on the beach near the cabin wreck on my first trip there. She was trying to sell a small beachfront house there and I certainly considered it. I was there just after a hurricane (forget which one) and that house was reduced to matchsticks. Unless you live on the barrier island south of Sebastian Inlet, and can prove it, you're not getting in there for a bit. It's under mandatory evacuation.

This is looking like it could be catastrophic to the 1715 beach area. Yes - very good for moving sand and treasure. I'm sure there will be great finds eventually. Know that it isn't quite like what you may have read. You read the high points but don't typically get the rest of the story. The crossovers will likely be destroyed. Debris will be everywhere. Everywhere! Big debris, nails, wood with nails partially buried in the sand. If you envision escudos scattered on top of the sand, you could be right somewhere along a 20 mile stretch of beach... but you will mostly see lumber, tires, wire, shingles, doors, shoes, you name it. Your detector will go mad among all the metal debris. Some of the homes in that area cost more than I'll make in a lifetime. You can bet on needing a good reason to be there. Parking will be iffy at best. It is on a good day. I've had to be extremely creative in the past and unless you know the area well, count on parking to be minimal or risk being towed. Not fun when your cell phone battery is dead and there is no power in the area. You're stuck and now taxing already taxed resources.

It will be dangerous for some time. Heed all warnings you've seen on here so far. NEVER turn your back on the surf in these conditions. 16 foot surf is no joke. Wearing headphones and looking down is not conducive to situational awareness, safety, or even life. Finding the queens jewels is worthless if you're struck by lumber in the surf and killed while scooping it up. You're trapped if you're between a huge cut and the surf. See pic of cut and imagine the possibility. The other pic is at the cabin site during an unusually low tide. That first reef is pretty much on the beach. Just like people on those galleons, you don't want to be caught up in that during/following a storm.

Not saying don't go but go when appropriate and safe. Wish I could get down there but I'm in a new job and have no vacation hours. :(

Thoughts and prayers to all those in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_3714.JPG
    IMG_3714.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3719.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread