May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is going to more than likely wreck the beaches where I live. I will be out a lot next week...but for now I am worried about my house haha. We are leaving tomorrow on a planned vacation so I should be 3 hours inland when it hits. We were supposed to leave later in the week but decided we should get out before the rush late thurs/fri. Just hoping it stays at a Cat 2 or lower when it does hit or just goes out to sea. I love hurricanes for the surf and detecting but hate when they hit. I guess its what I get for living at the beach. My house is about 1.5 miles inland and 20ft above sea level so my main concern is really the wind.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This enhanced satellite photo of the hurricane is rather scary. Looks like a skull. image.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Wawa convenience store. GREAT store. Fresh made subs, great coffee. Will be sold out of everything in Florida by morning.

Take the hurricane SERIOUSLY. Roads will be closed. Houses removed, tornadoes spawned, and general misery.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all over Maryland, Delaware and PA. Much nicer than a lot of their competition. You should drive down just to visit one. Isn't THAT far from Minnesota.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family lives on the Treasure Coast of Fl and everyone is evacuating over the bridge except my Dad. He's determined to stay. The last Hurricane that hit their beach in 2005, my Dad stayed while everyone left for Orlando. That storm went "off track" and actually hit very badly to where the rest of my family evacuated. My daughter called me to say how upset she is that he won't evacuate but I told her he will do what he chooses and thats that. This storm is to hit his town late Thursday night and most of Friday...This Friday is his 86th Birthday! What a way to spend your birthday. Anyway...hope I have cell phone contact with him as I did with the last storm and can keep him updated to weather reports.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My family lives on the Treasure Coast of Fl and everyone is evacuating over the bridge except my Dad. He's determined to stay. The last Hurricane that hit their beach in 2005, my Dad stayed while everyone left for Orlando. That storm went "off track" and actually hit very badly to where the rest of my family evacuated. My daughter called me to say how upset she is that he won't evacuate but I told her he will do what he chooses and thats that. This storm is to hit his town late Thursday night and most of Friday...This Friday is his 86th Birthday! What a way to spend your birthday. Anyway...hope I have cell phone contact with him as I did with the last storm and can keep him updated to weather reports.

Yeah common thing.. many of us stay. Problem is, when you realize you shouldve gone, its too late. If a tree lands on you and you call 911 (if you can) nobody is coming. Even if you get on the radio, noone is coming.

Hope he does ok.

My brother and sister in law are heading over here (west coast) from st. Augustine.
They have a baby so its the safe thing to do.

I'm hoping to go back with them and hit the beach when it passes !

Assuming they even let us out there.. and there are useable roads remaining.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I am in charlotte now. Easy travel yesterday. Tons of people from GA/SC at my hotel that evacuated. My hometown of wilmington looks safe but FL looks bad. I am supposed to head home from vacation sunday so hopefully the storm has passed by then

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good wishes for my Dad. I will let you know how everything turns out. I too told my Dad that I might fly down for a week after the storm passes to go detecting near Sebastian Beach. I told him he may need more than a few gold coins to clean up around his house after his 5 super tall palm trees blow down. He's 5 blocks from the ocean and one block from the river.

That last storm I was watching CNN up here in Michigan right after the storm passed and they interviewed my Dad on TV as he was the only person on the beach that day! I was pretty shocked to see him on TV...I told my kids..."Hey!, your Grandpa is on CNN right now"! It was good to see him for sure.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Have fun on your vacation (well as much as you can without worrying about your house). Then may the hurricane be good when you go out hunting and leave you many wonderful things on the beach.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I just went to a Publix supermarket here in Orlando. Not a single loaf of bread, forget water or milk. People are in full on panic mode.
The 9 foot storm surge plus waves will take out the wood stairs that lead down to the beach on the treasure coast. Wind tomorrow 145.
I just hope A1A does not get washed out anywhere. Access may be restricted to those who can prove they have property.

GLTA

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have proof for NSB but Casselberry won't be looking good. Can't imagine the condo on 27th....

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Not going anywhere here in Fl. We are now under curfew until Saturday morning. Hunker down time.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you kcm, I'm from Texas too and now live in Japan and remember my sister praying for a storm to come through to bring some rain a few years ago. Even here in Tropical Okinawa, The Typhoons are needed to cool down the water for the reefs in the summer, if the water gets too hot for too long the reefs start to bleach and die, We also need rain for our reservoirs here. Storms are natures air cleaners too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread