May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is going to more than likely wreck the beaches where I live. I will be out a lot next week...but for now I am worried about my house haha. We are leaving tomorrow on a planned vacation so I should be 3 hours inland when it hits. We were supposed to leave later in the week but decided we should get out before the rush late thurs/fri. Just hoping it stays at a Cat 2 or lower when it does hit or just goes out to sea. I love hurricanes for the surf and detecting but hate when they hit. I guess its what I get for living at the beach. My house is about 1.5 miles inland and 20ft above sea level so my main concern is really the wind.

Upvote 0

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
I was thinking the same thing, great opportunity for beach detectorists for sure, I hope everyone stays safe and no harm to anyone, we (beachers) just want some sand removed ! HH !

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, good luck with the house and everything and good hunting. Just had a typhoon pass here but dd not get the heavy winds on this side of the island, but did get some sand moved around.

Take Care

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just plain hate all tropical storms and I'm 1000 miles north of you.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
While tropical storms cause much damage, they also bring much-needed rain to areas that, at times, had been stricken with drought all year long. If the storms/hurricanes suddenly stopped, many more folks (and animals and nature) would suffer in much worse and prolonged ways.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While tropical storms cause much damage, they also bring much-needed rain to areas that, at times, had been stricken with drought all year long. If the storms/hurricanes suddenly stopped, many more folks (and animals and nature) would suffer in much worse and prolonged ways.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm born and bred Texan. Been through my share of hurricanes "DURING" the fact as an emergency responder - fire dept. Yes, I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying that hurricanes are a good thing. But there are LOTS of not-so-good things in this world that are very much needed. Another case in point - who the hell likes maggots?? However, they are a much-needed part of nature.

Another example - I absolutely HATE all the skeeters up here!! Never had many in SE Texas - was too hot and dry for the most part. However, there are many animals that feed on skeeters. Therefore, while not "liked", they are necessary.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Just a few years back, there was a very bad, horribly dry year in the deep south. Actually, seems like it lasted for 3-4 years (really bad), but was especially bad during this one. About 4-5 years ago, much of Texas was having never-before-seen record droughts. In BOTH instances, it was the tropical storms and hurricanes that brought much needed rain back to those areas. Without that vital water, much more life would have died.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Good luck to all of you that have to deal with this monster. On the flip side may your scoops be filled with 100s of years of lost treasure. Yaaaaaar

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two words: Hurricane Andrew. Buggers can ruin lives.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, they certainly can. While stationed in San Antonio, I went to the far side of town to volunteer at a shelter. Can't remember what hurricane it was, but it was so bad that they were sending people that far just to have room for all the refugees. That had to be the absolute WORST time I had ever spent during a hurricane! All I did was to show people to a bare spot of floor when they'd arrive. Was such a small thing that I felt rather useless. Fortunately, the people needing help didn't seem to care how I felt. They were just very thankful for any help offered!

In the fire dept, I helped with water rescues, downed trees, medical calls (even though I only had basic first aid training), even directing traffic. It's really something to be out in the middle of a south Texas thunderstorm during a hurricane directing traffic!! GEEZ! Some of those strikes sounded like bombs going off! Rain going horizontal and, sometimes riding the wind upwards into my face. Makes for some "interesting" memories, but certainly feel for those that have picked up where I left off!!

Ain't no hurricanes in Minnesota! :headbang: ...And way up here, not even any venomous snakes!!
Happy Dance.gif

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
The south doesnt need this rain. We have gotten too much lately so our ground is moist and ponds and rivers are near their peaks...this is one of the reasons this storm is coming at a bad time. However it looks like its going out to sea

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not looking forward to this... need to stock up on beer, got gas yesterday, wife did this morn and WAwa was packed at 6am.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
New models are showing the storm doing a loop and hitting FL again next week. NHC updates at 8, 11, 2, 5pm today. We are leaving today for vacation. No idea what I am coming home to on Sunday.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The latest model I have up right at this minute shows the eye just off the coast in the Orlando area Friday morning. So looks like Thursday evening the coast from Miami up will be raging, a lot depending on what category it hits as. Members here have a whole lot of friends down there, and quite a few well respected members here may see some very hard times.

While we relish replenished beaches, we need to give our best wishes to our friends. Hard times coming for them.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New models are showing the storm doing a loop and hitting FL again next week. NHC updates at 8, 11, 2, 5pm today. We are leaving today for vacation. No idea what I am coming home to on Sunday.
Right now things sure look better than they did yesterday. Hope it does nt do a roundhouse and get us twice. Be safe on your vacation. Fl does nt look good right now.

Last edited:

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping it's long gone and the island open to traffic by Sunday. Would really like to hit those beaches after the storm. Will be my first time on the Treasure Coast !

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Most of the barrier islands have mandatory evacuation starting tomorrow. My good friend from Cocoa, with his 2 broken ankles, was evacuated with everyone else in the hospital.
This storm is no joke. As much as I would like to be the first one on the beach, it is more important now to help friends who might have no good place to go for a few days. The bridges and causeways will be closed. Disney is still open... At least they are not collecting tolls westbound on the B line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread