Newbie:Which of the low end MDer provide decient results on a saltwater beach?

keeplooking

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2007
Newbie:Which of the low end MD'er provide decient results on a saltwater beach?

I have been looking at MD'ers for a while and would like to buy one that would be a good general, all around use. I live in RI so I would probably be using it on several of the saltwater beachs, 30-40% of the time. The rest would be in the local area, woods, parks, etc. I am looking to spend in the range of $2-300 and I have been looking at Garrett Ace250, Whites Prizm 2 (maybe 3), and a couple of the low end Teroso and Fishers.

At the present time I can not afford a PI type detector do to cost. From what I have read, the PI is basically a beach and wet sand MD, so for my first, I don't think it would be a good choice right now.

What would be your recommendation in the low end market of MD'ers that would give me a good start and some reasonable results?

Thank,
JC :)

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Newbie:Which of the low end MD'er provide decient results on a saltwater beach?

The Ace 250 would be fine for the dry sand and land use. In the wet sand, it would be unstable since it doesn't have a ground balance or saltwater mode. Many have turned down the sensitivity to some help.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Re: Newbie:Which of the low end MD'er provide decient results on a saltwater beach?

keeplooking

many of the low end machines can't handle the mineralization of the salt in the wet part of the beaches. Dry sand they do ok... but not in the water. you might want to see about finding a used water machine, but that'll still cost you more than what you're currently looking to spend. You might want to find one of the hobby shops that sells detectors and test drive a few.

On a side note... where in RI are you. (I'm in coventry). There are several detecting clubs here (I am not a member of any of them ;D). If you want to take my Excal for a spin, drop me an email. I warn you, however, once you use it, you'll be extremely spoiled and probably won't settle for anything less.

steve

OP
OP
K

keeplooking

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2007

Steve,
I'm in Coventry, Off Rt.116 on the Hope line. Feel free to email me @ [email protected]

Thanks,
JC

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldn't invest in a PI machine unless I intended to do a whole lot of water hunting. Most of your standard machines have submersible coils, but if you drop the electronics into the water you are out of business big time. If you are mainly interested in dry and wet beaches, any of the more well known detectors with a manual ground balance should serve you well. You need the manual ground balance feature to counteract the salt and minerals in the wet or black sand. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread