Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally at the tail end of the season I got my baby back and put her to work. Thursday I hit a fishing beach and got a pile of quarters, junk and a 61 ben franklin half dollar. Friday I followed up on a lead for multiple lost rings and took my duckie (inflatable kayak) to a boating beer drinking beach. The beach had either been cleaned out or sanded in or both. No desirable sounding targets so I dug a few pull tabs and bottle caps and a small pocket spill of clad. This is another one of those spots that get hit hard by hunters so I figured it would be cleaned out this late in the season but I had to follow up on the lead to put my mind at ease. On the way back I got into that rain squall that blew through and pulled into another fishing beach. Targets were plentiful and sounded great. Non-stop nickels, fishing weights and coins were everywhere. I worked about twenty targets in a half hour and then paddled the rest of the way to my put in in the growing darkness and rain and hiked all my stuff out in the dark.
Sunday I headed to a swimming beach and got a junk ring three targets in. I worked the area over hard and pulled an ugly golden nugget. A 2g 10K "grill" fake teeth thingie. The battery read 11.9 before I left the house so I knew my time was limited but estimated I could make it the 2.5 hours to dark. I was close. She gave me the hi scream warning and gradually faded into the high buzz with a half hour of daylight. I grabbed the safari and headed out as deep as I could but couldn't get any good sounding hits. Off one battery charge I got about ten hours hunting
1 1961 half dollar
25 quarters
18 dimes
12 nickels
34 pennies
1lb+ fishing weights (15 est)
50-60 junk targets (aluminum, bottle caps, pull tabs, fork, brass boat hardware, unidentifiable)
1 junk ring
2g 10k grill
2 earrings (studs)

So roughly 3.5 minutes per target. That's swinging over a desirable one and getting it into my hand. I gave up on a few I started realizing they were junk and I should waste less time on pennies but since I have gotten some "Indian head" pennies near these spots I didn't want to miss anything interesting.
The Excalibur is performing as well or better than when I got her used seven plus years ago. Over time the wire from the coil to the machine has taken some wear and tear and been hung up and yanked which seems to have gradually worn down on the depth I could get. Feedback on if this is possible is welcome. Having used other excals I wondered if my machine was just not too "hot". I could get better depth with the safari than the excel in wet salt sand. I knew I would probably lose the summer sending it in in July but a shallow Excalibur is no fun either. It took some time as they have been slammed with machines but here she is better than ever. I look forward to comparing the machines again and determining the amount of improvement. Subjectively she definitely gained a lot of depth. The half dollar sounded like a beer can at six inches. I have to give a shout out to Marty and the Kellyco folks! I appreciate the care in the repair. I'll get a pic on if I can.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you put the Hammer down and did some good time out. I seen three hunters the other day, one had a ponytail? Was that you? The other two were old goats like me... I think we have took on a hole new crowd of water hunters in the last year, You did very good! Congrads on the gold !!

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats the Excal rocks and so does Kellyco and the crew. They really give excellent service when you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty is the man.:icon_thumright:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If the world goes as it should, I'll be down there in a few days and will shake Marty's hand! Kellyco did me good. They took quite a loss last year, very sad time. The first detectors I bought in early '81 were from Kellyco, and I gave them more money in exchange for GREAT service. My Fisher 1260X came from Kellyco

I've a very critical eye, hate thieves - but history always proves quality of service. I'm glad Kellyco is still with us! We have history here with us, proven service.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah OBN, I was making up for lost time and enjoying every minute of it! I didn't see anyone else hunting or even out on the water. Were you in OC? I was on the bay. I always wear my faded black visor, home made white PVC water scoop n excalibur with a straight shaft. I wish I had a ponytail. Not enough hair left these days lol. Oh n my spring suit has ridiculous orange and neon shoulders. Next time theres a good blow I'll be down OCMD in my full suit with hood or brown waders. I hope to see you out there like a gold guru!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I met Treasure_Hunter this afternoon when I rolled into Orlando. Just as I expected! A straight up man of integrity. Got me a room at a Motel 6 and tomorrow I'm heading to Kellyco and I'm going to meet Marty.

It's kinda likely that I'll leave some of my money with them. I don't know if I'll be able to resist all the toys they have there :) It will be my first visit to their store.

Thank heavens I brought my old laptop, no thumb typing on my cell tonight.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
285839,xcitefun-congrats-4.gif

Top Member Reactions