Disscusion and Conclusions

Maximilian

Oct 13, 2014
Montenegro
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Excalibur II,Equinox 800, Goldscan 4...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I write these mostly for myself in case of sudden amnesia ļŠ but I think that someone else also can find this useful and maybe trough discussions we can reach some new conclusions and ideas. These r conclusions I come on recent hunt so any comments or opinions r most welcome.
It possible that some conclusions r wrong but I will stick to them until they r proved wrong.
I am not experience water hunter but on beach I have quite enough experience since I go often as I can to hunt. Until this hunt I was missing something to connect some dots so finally my last hunt was revelation for me and which shape understanding of gold moves at beach . I will try to present only things that I never find anywhere before written. Well known things I will try to skip. Here r some of my conclusions:
1-24k gold have high tone on Excalibur, totally opposite then 18k or lower purity gold. Tone is similar to silver and aluminium but still little different. Since Excalibur is made for ring finding and most of rings r 10-18k his sounds is adjusted for that. I think this tone switch start from 20k+. So if u r on place where u can expect 24K jewellery dig all high tones.
Only once I dig 14k ring who make high tone , I didnā€™t think it is ring until I look it, even on surface he was not giving low tone .I suppose because is made with some specific alloy , silver perhaps.
On my last hunt I follow advice of experience hunters and go for cherry picking looking only for high tones but still I dig low tones , this low tone eventually produced tiny women white 18k gold ring with ice .So even I was looking only for 24K targets I couldnā€™t stop myself to check some of characteristic low tones which eventually give result . So follow ur instincts.
2. Not all rings sink at some rate. It depends from gold percentage and shape. 10K ring will sink at much lower rate than 14k and so on. 24k will sink like at most higher rate I would say 25% faster than 14k. Wedding band will sink faster than rings especially faster then rings who have something wide on top I call it parachute. So in wet sand should be higher percentage this parachute rings and 10k.
3. Since i try to find gold between numerous silver ring I increase sensitivity on Excalibur , it didnā€™t work I get dipper silver rings but still not gold. But I notice that audio response change so I cannot separate pull tabs any more from good targets . So if u change sensitivity during hunt better dig all good targets . Since ur ear is used to standard response with sensitivity u use most when u change it targets start to sound different and u need some time to use to it . Same if u r already tired u canā€™t separate targets so well so batter make small rest then to miss some good target because fatigue.
4.Targets can be masked not only by iron but also with pull tab so sometime u need to remove pull tabs before u can reach good targets. The gold I find on 3rd day in first 2 day was covered with pull tabs so I miss the gold but when high tide washed pull tabs on 3rd day I got 3 gold targets in just few meters.
5.Few targets nearby each other will produced strange signal and need to be inspected.
So on the beach u r looking for characteristic gold sound and strange signals which r masking gold since gold is most rare metal at beach. Most common signals almost sure r not gold. Now if gold is at edge of detection range it will give different sound but experience hunter can smell gold in this area and will dig every possible target.
5. Lights rings 1-2gr act similar like pull tabs and often can be find in same area and line.
6.Excalibur is not slow machine , Excalibur is slow recovery machine so when u get in area with targets then u need really to slow down.
7.I just recently find out how to avoid my Excalibur for losing battery capacity rapidly,
When I finished hunt and I know that left battery is not enough for next hunt , when I come home I turn it on in some far room so he can property y discharged . However I will migrate to Li-po battery soon since they r much more simple to use with larger capacity. My only consideration is new airport rules who forbid caring lithium batteries in check in baggage .
But since original housing will be same I think airport security will consider it like NIMH.

8.This year I come to conclusion that lower beach is most similar to escalator.
Latter when I read it that Gary Drayton share sane view I know I was on good track.
But with one major difference , bottom part always move items who sunk down to water
And upper part do the same 99% of the time. Targets r then transported slowly to the water during wave activities. So all targets r deposits nearby water line or few meters in the water until shore line reach sea bottom. This under water belt usually in 2-6m wide which varies from beach to beach and high/low tide conditions. From my experience most of gold is deposit in this area in or under this escalator belt.
9.Now , my revelation, in my last hunt I find numerous silver rings but just few very lightly gold items. In areas with silver rings was very obvious absence of gold items and versa.
Then I I got it that all items I find on dry and most of in wet sand(where hard bottom is out of reach) who r not recent drops r washed down from upper beach . Just small percentage of detectable gold I think no more than 15% is lost in dry sand . And without huge wave activity is almost impossible for heavy gold items to go up.But this happen from time to time but not very often.
Why I didnā€™t find any heavy gold in this hunt, cuts simply was not big enough , probably there is some heavier gold item in the area but they sunk deeper and waves couldnā€™t washed them down.
10. Most of the gold is lost in water and wet sand , but basically wet sand is water since usually is covered with water and very liquid. I never find heavy gold item in upper beach.
For shure there r some of them there but they r very deep and out of detecting range until sand is washed out.
My finds and I believe finds of other can prove this.
11. Most of waves during the year just washed sand in and out and uncover already deposits item moving them slowly to the water line. Just once per year or once in couple years when beach is hit with huge waves who r supported with right wind and tide new items form water r deposited on the upper beach.
12. How big this deposit waves should be according my experience not less than 5m and only with right wind and tide they will make new deposits of gold on upper beach.
I am thinking that break line of this waves must be on or after usual sea line so they can take out gold items from bottle and drop them on the beach. This still need to be verified .
13.Not all waves have same energy , I didnā€™t know this until recently . I found this when I was looking for surf predictions . I come to some suffers website who also include this parameter surf conditions . It depends from wave interval , the longer wave interval is the higher energy wave carry. I think this can very valuable information in prediction of beach
erosion combined with wind and tide info.Here is the website :
South Beach (Miami) Surf Forecast and Surf Report
They also have Wind state stats, since English is not my first language I am not sure I get it right it seems that describe wind direction/high relative to the beach??? It will usefully if someone clarify this.
14. How cuts r created. I always wondered but didnā€™t come to any reasonable exploitations
Until last hunt.From what I concluded they r caused by waves and high tides but main forces in their creation is water flow parallel to the beach . Think about them like Grand Canyon with just one side. Once water is pushed higher on the beach strong side wind push water parallel to sea line washing the sand and creating the cut. This also can be caused by water flow from higher part of beach to some part who is already lower from same reason, previous wave activity, wind blow send or human activityā€¦
15.How vertical trench on the beach r made in. Waves who hit beach under some angle makes trenches , they also can be made by strong winds who changes water flow at beach
So water donā€™t turn back directly to the sea forcing it make u turn before goes back down.
16. I am closer to opinion that targets who show up near high tide mark r washed out from upper part or some layer of send covering them is removed with high tide. Since water high tide at mark can have just little energy which is not enough to move heavy objects. But easy can wash 10cm of sand which is invisible change to our eye and make them detectable.
17.Hoewer high tide still have lot of power under water line and can push ā€˜ā€™escalator beltā€™ā€™ higher to the beach uncovering few meters of sea bottom who was covered with belt.
This area should be most rich targets but this I need to confirm yet
18.I have notice that beach in summer and winter looks quite different but I didnā€™t know that there is some scheme behinds these. When reading Golden Old threads I notice that this change start with minus tides , this can be very intrigue and I will look for some answer regarding this.
19. No matter how good is ur search technique and how much u overlap u will always miss some spot so rechecking spots will always make some result.

Any comments even brutal ones r most welcome.
Thanks for reading.

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
About Li-Ion / Li-Po batteries: Those under 100WH (Watt Hour) rated are only allowed in your carry on, not in checked baggage.
All Samsung Note and 7 phones and all E-cigarettes are band and may not be carried aboard an aircraft whether in checked or carry-on baggage.

Wonderful observations, now to put them to use. It is still exciting to find an unique target in your scoop when not suspected. I.e. a gold ring and not a pull tab or U.S. nickle. A foreign coin is always a pleasant surprise.

May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop!

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your insight. Good Luck!

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
MĆ©xico
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beaches are always changing, thats the challenging part, need to know where to hunt depending on the condition, some days you will find almost nothing due to sand being deposited not only by waves but by the wind as well, we need to keep an eye open to details the beach is giving us and focus our time in parts where you know you have higher chance to find items, only experience will help you out in the end, and knowing very well your detector.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread