What's your parking cost?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The parking fees here on the west coast of Florida keep going up.

St. Pete Beach is $2.50 an hour. Clearwater is going up, all of it is climbing yearly. There are a couple of spots left at $1.50 an hour, but they won't last much longer and are getting hard to find.

Just about every non metered spot at a hotel, restaurant or private property is posted. The contract tow trucks salivate at the opportunities available to tow...

I see people parking at shopping centers and walking a couple of blocks to the beach, so it's getting hard to find those spots now as well.

Is it just us, or is everyone getting to feel the pain?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I was down there years ago, I decided to head over to St. Pete beach to do some detecting. I promptly turned around and left when I saw that you had to feed a parking meter every hour. Not only was it likely to be a money-losing trip after all the parking costs, I didn't want to stop and trudge all my gear back up every hour just to feed it.

Greedy local governments trying to squeeze every cent they can get from people.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One park charges $3 in the winter, $5 in summer. Delaware park is $10 but not in Dec, Jan, Feb.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Two places cost me 150.oo a year.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Our house in Italy is right on the beach, however I do hunt other spots of the beach that requires driving to. I would rather bike to it but Italy has laws against parking a bicycle on the beach or even pushing one down the beach. Parking can range from 5 Euro and hour to 8 Euro an hour. I do not have Italy plates on my truck so I risk the 10 Euro ticket. I have had many parking cops tell me that they would not waste their time giving me a ticket because they all know my truck. So I asked them what about other out of country plates, they tell me that it really is not worth it because if they do not pay directly then no way will Italy get mailing details to send a ticket to another EU Nation.

EU is sort of backwards with Tickets, so much to the point that I would rather pay the ticket than follow the law. If it is a speeding ticket then it is work related and the police figure that out when they run the plates to mail me the ticket. If it is a parking ticket, then I just pay the fine, the fine is cheaper to pay once in a blue moon than always paying for parking.

My first parking ticket I got overseas was in Germany many years ago, the lady said it would cost me 10 Marks, I was so shocked that the tickets where that cheap, nothing like Texas at all, I told her I would never pay to park and just get tickets instead.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't park at my favorite beach here, its cheaper to take a cab!

15min – 1 hr: $12.00
1hr – 2hrs: $14.00
4hrs – 24 hrs: $22.00

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I was told that you could get a season pass to the zoo (Near Oakstreet?) for under 300. which includes 6 hours of parking per day.. Chicago has some Crazy pricing...But some Great Treasures!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most beach parking lots here in San Diego are free. The exceptions are State Beaches which are on average $8 per day, and parking meters in some areas and some adjacent towns. Their rates vary and some allow all day or hourly pay. Most of the meters are in commercial areas which you can understand. The businesses need to have parking for their customers. Residential areas are usually free. You can usually get a yearly parking pass for the State Parks. The senior rate isn't too bad. If you can get a handicap plate or plaque, parking is usually free just about everywhere there is a marked space.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$10 a day in the summer, Sept and Oct $8 on weekend,free after that.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been known to walk a bit extra to avoid paid parking! :tongue3:

I can get a $20/year permit for 2 hour free parking on out wharf and they don't start charging until after 10:30AM.

Also, starting October 1 the areas that are permit only in the Spring/Summer become available for free!8-)

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

You're just trying to make me feel better, right?

'cuz them prices should be illegal.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in my own little Twilight Zone when we were there. I didn't realize our parking had cost you so much, too stewed in my own soup so to speak. All I saw was the hunt. I'd send you some play money if you'd PM me your address!

But I know you won't! Men of integrity kind of thing there.

I do thank you immensely for the adventure.

I'm worthless today, hiding up my holler far from that white sand beach!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in my own little Twilight Zone when we were there. I didn't realize our parking had cost you so much, too stewed in my own soup so to speak. All I saw was the hunt. I'd send you some play money if you'd PM me your address!

Never gunna happen my friend. It would have been nice to show you around a bit more, but time was limited.

Your next trip will be a bit more adventurous. Perhaps we can slip the boat from the slip- and go for the gold.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't pay as I have handicapped plates, but I don't like walking to the beach. I prefer to drive - so from May until Oct, I pay for the beach permit that costs $20. During the winter, you don't need a permit. Just hunt an area, hop in the Jeep and move on to the next area. 16 miles of vehicle accessible beach provides plenty of sand to pass my coil over.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was working in south Texas and they have miles and miles of open beaches you can drive on, no pay. Only when you are in a town or village do they charge to drive on the beach.

I found lots of neat stuff there.

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been known to walk a bit extra to avoid paid parking! :tongue3:

I can get a $20/year permit for 2 hour free parking on out wharf and they don't start charging until after 10:30AM.

Also, starting October 1 the areas that are permit only in the Spring/Summer become available for free!8-)

Wow, really? Can people who live outta town get the $20 annual permit?

The parking is one of the bummers about beach hunting and I'm trying to figure out all the dirtbag angles. The meters are expensive in Santa Cruz!! The Boardwalk wasn't operating the last day I was down there and parked in their lot for $5 for the day which seemed reasonable. I was thinking of trying the $5/day lot that looks like a 5-10 minute walk to the sand.

Whereabouts is the free parking during the winter?? That would be great.

I've noticed that parking enforcement seems to ebb and flow with the days of the week. Municipalities use parking as a major revenue source and on weekends, you can bet they'll be working the lots and writing tickets. Week days, not so much.

Some of the pay lots in places like Half Moon Bay are $8/day and depending on who owns the lot can be strictly enforced. State Park Beaches are like $7-8/day for access and up north that will get you into several beaches for the day.

Some of the better days I've had on the beach have been at places that charge for access whereas the free parking places I can't get a tone. So there's that.

Last edited:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Code:
I dream of the day when parking fees will be abolished maybe a boycott of towns with fees.{knowing full well this will never happen].
A day when Toyotas, Hondas, Pick up trucks, minivan, Mercedes etc. can park for free.
And we can come together in this great nation and raise our voices and say" free at last ,free at last, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY IM FREE AT LAST.
On a serious note it grinds on me to be penalized for having the audacity of owning a vehicle

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods they decided to be like Clearwater and have paid parking, pay machine , no gate attendant. They didn't take into account that there are no sand dunes to protect the machine. The last storm submerged the machines. Salt water is not kind too electronics. They now have a gate attendant.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, really? Can people who live outta town get the $20 annual permit?

The parking is one of the bummers about beach hunting and I'm trying to figure out all the dirtbag angles. The meters are expensive in Santa Cruz!! The Boardwalk wasn't operating the last day I was down there and parked in their lot for $5 for the day which seemed reasonable. I was thinking of trying the $5/day lot that looks like a 5-10 minute walk to the sand.

Whereabouts is the free parking during the winter?? That would be great.

I've noticed that parking enforcement seems to ebb and flow with the days of the week. Municipalities use parking as a major revenue source and on weekends, you can bet they'll be working the lots and writing tickets. Week days, not so much.

Some of the pay lots in places like Half Moon Bay are $8/day and depending on who owns the lot can be strictly enforced. State Park Beaches are like $7-8/day for access and up north that will get you into several beaches for the day.

Some of the better days I've had on the beach have been at places that charge for access whereas the free parking places I can't get a tone. So there's that.

The parking permit on the wharf may be available for non locals, not sure?

The parking is on many of the side streets near the Boardwalk. Be sure to check the signage.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHen I go down to Fla. - which I will be doing soon - my gal drives and I will usually have her drop me off and I will run in with my mask and jump in at a spot quick - if I see good bottom - I go back and tell her we are staying and we'll pay the meter
- if sanded in - we move to the next one - till I find one I like - some times we can find a spot we don't have to pay away from the beach - I will have her drop me and she'll park and then walk to the beach and I will hunt my way to her - most times we try and get a hotel that is away from public parking - so locals can not hit spots I do easily without a good hike - to me most times its worth the $10 for the day at other spots I do have to pay
up here at spots in season - if you get in before the attendant - sun rise - you can get away without paying or after 5pm its usually free
right now its free :tongue3: for anyone that wants to come up and water hunt - water is like low 50s right now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread