Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I did this several years ago, 2010 I think, of Chuck in Miami.. Casper has some of the best details I would imagine, but he is away at the moment so give him time and I am sure he can chime in.........

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one and because of the amount of air held in the full face mask, don't expect to get too far down.
So much air makes it buoyant and keeps your head UP! I had a hard time on the bottom of a pool at the 3 foot mark, I could not imagine getting much deeper. This is annotated in many of the articles I have read. That being said, I love the mask - no mouth piece and no fogging - NICE. I would guess trying to get much deeper the mask would tend to pull if off your face. Enjoy in the shallows.

OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. For some reason I can't open the video.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOT OF PEOPLE THOUGHT I BOUGHT ONE TO HUNT DEEPER WATER (AND SOME BOUGHT ONE FOR THAT REASON)
- I BOUGHT IT CAUSE I THOUGHT THEY WERE COOL
I WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE FIRST PEOPLE IN THE U.S. TO OWN ONE - HAD MINE OVER 2 YRS AGO - THEY WERE ONLY SOLD IN EUROPE
BACK THEN - I HAD SOME ONE GET ME ONE FROM PORTUGAL - IT IS GREAT FOR ANYONE AFRAID OF THE WATER - MY GAL GOT ONE NOW
SHE HAD HARD TIME WITH REGULAR MAS & SNORKEL - SHE LIKES HERS - I LIKE IT FOR COLD WATER HUNTING - KEEPS MY FACE WARM
IF YOU WERE TO USE WITH A WEIGHT BELT TO HUNT OUT DEEPER - MIGHTWORK - THE AIR IN IT WANTS TO BRING YOUR HEAD UP - IF YOU LEARN TO REGULATE YOUR BREATHING AND EXHALE BEFORE DIVING DOWN - YOU CAN GO DOWN EASIER - I PRACTICED WITH IT IN POOL THAT WAS 10 FEET
AND COULD TOUCH BOTTOM BEFORE COMING UP - ITS GOOD FOR ANYONE WITH FALSE TEETH OR THAT WOULD HAVE HARD TIME WITH A SNORKEL
YOU CAN INHALE OR EXHALE THRU MOUTH AND OR NOSE - YOU HAVE MORE VIZ THAN NORMAL MASK WHICH IS A PLUS FOR SOME
THE ORIGINAL HAVE ORANGE SNORKEL - THE ONES WITH YELLOW ARE USUALLY CHINEESE RIP OFF

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about getting one, but thought that sometimes when I stay down too long, I come up and want to drop the snorkel out of my mouth to get a full lung of air. Yes, need lots of weight, especially if you are trying to pick or dig on the bottom, it tends to push you away from the bottom and the more weight you have the better, just be safe"
th (34).jpeg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great pic Casper,,,,,guess the little ones run off crying seeing you on the beach......:alien:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper do you have any articles or videos on techniques? How deep do you go using a snorkel?

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost bought one at the big flea market at the Aloha bowl on Oahu, but I figured they were knockoffs, they were calling them ninja masks, I never thought of them scaring off the kids or I would have bought one for sure. Pesky brats!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting back to the OPs original post about snorkeling with one of these abominations, DONT DO IT. If you're plan is to simply use it to put your eyeballs under the water to see better while scooping, it could work for that. These are meant for people to float around the surface looking at the underwater world, that is the only thing these masks are made for.

When you talk about "snorkeling" it generally is meant to include diving down to the bottom as well. With a traditional snorkel, you simply blow the water out once you reach the surface. If you REALLY need to, you spit the snorkel out and just take a breath. If you get water inside this, there is no spitting it out, there is no clearing. Water inside this could result in drowning.

If you are interested in actually snorkeling while detecting, then yes you need a weight belt. You also generally dont use a scoop. Once you have a target you pinpoint it, get a visual fix on the location, drop down and fan the sand away to reveal the target. You will learn quickly that you can move a LOT of sand with a little fanning. At time when I don't have a weight belt, I have used my foot to fan the sand away with acceptable results.

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Ha,,,i just bought the exact same mask to snorkel in the ABC islands...bringing my detector with me..wish me luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread