Excalibur ii pinpoint problem...

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
20161128_084839.jpg
20161128_085047.jpg
Well I finally did it.! Picked up this excalibur off eBay for a reasonable price, considering it has all the mods I was wanting. Everything came as advertised and the machine seems to work fine. But.. the wire for the PP is to short, so from where it comes out of the back of housing it makes too tight of a bend and has caused a split... The guy I bought it says mods were done by KellyCo. Which he sent the invoice that shows everything but the PP it's self. But it did come with PP installation instructions... Anyway I guess what I'm asking is should I send it back to KellyCo or is there something I can do? Or is there someone on here that does this kind of work..? I'm just ready to get in the water but not at the cost of my machine! Thanks for any advice

Upvote 0

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet suit repair from a dive ship may cold vulcanize the split closed but you probably want a better solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Does not look good. Do you have a picture of the handle and switch. If it is one of my kits I will fix it for free...but you will have to disconnect all and send the handle and endcap. I did several kits with the double heyco's a few years ago. Now I do the m12 connectors just for this reason so if anything goes wrong you can unscrew the connector and I can do another to swap out.

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
20161128_122518.jpg
20161128_122502.jpg
OBN, thanks for the offer. If not your work, what would it cost me to have you do it right?

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Let me know if you need more pics

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're just wading, RTV black works fine for a temp fix. You might want to try that first and use the machine for a while. That way you can make sure it doesn't have any other problems before you send it in for repairs.

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Yeah I thought about that. Just wanted to get it setup right so I wouldnt have to worry about it. But if I were to tape it for wading and water was to get in, all I should have to replace is the PP switch, right? I mean it shouldnt hurt the main board or any other parts should it.?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN, thanks for the offer. If not your work, what would it cost me to have you do it right?

Your welcome, and that is a Kellyco switch, the Cherry KCA. I try and take care of all I've done over the last three years. On what you have there you would need to take the endcap off, the handle and head phones in one unit and send. Now the other thing I won't be doing any work until Jan 1, then to March 1, and only on PP kits and endcaps. No installs or repairs done to any machines. I find it much easier to do kits and a limited amount since I love hunting for treasure more. And I cover my kits for three years use if you do decide to go that route. Sending you a pm on the price since I don't think I'm allowed to post that..

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I thought about that. Just wanted to get it setup right so I wouldnt have to worry about it. But if I were to tape it for wading and water was to get in, all I should have to replace is the PP switch, right? I mean it shouldnt hurt the main board or any other parts should it.?
I wouldn't use tape either....even Rescue tape, which I like very much for other waterproofing projects. RTV is a liquid sealer used extensively in the automotive industry. It dries to a nice flexible rubber consistency. Just make sure you clean the cable completely around the cut. Use alcohol or acetone. This is just a temporary fix to use while running the Excal through it's paces. You want to make sure there are no other problems before going to the trouble of sending it in for repairs. If water got inside the cable, it could migrate down inside the control pod, so, you would want to do a proper repair for continued water use.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cable looks funky for some reason to me.

Low grade... AKA... not correct IMO.

Any idea to the age of this unit ?

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
The mods were preformed in Aug of 2015 by KellyCo. The previous owner said the machine had never been submerged under water, and by the looks of it I would agree.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mods were preformed in Aug of 2015 by KellyCo. The previous owner said the machine had never been submerged under water, and by the looks of it I would agree.

Then I stand corrected. heh

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1386027
View attachment 1386028
Well I finally did it.! Picked up this excalibur off eBay for a reasonable price, considering it has all the mods I was wanting. Everything came as advertised and the machine seems to work fine. But.. the wire for the PP is to short, so from where it comes out of the back of housing it makes too tight of a bend and has caused a split... The guy I bought it says mods were done by KellyCo. Which he sent the invoice that shows everything but the PP it's self. But it did come with PP installation instructions... Anyway I guess what I'm asking is should I send it back to KellyCo or is there something I can do? Or is there someone on here that does this kind of work..? I'm just ready to get in the water but not at the cost of my machine! Thanks for any advice

There looks like there is enough slack in the cable in your picture, previous owner may have rearranged the cable and taken out the slack. I talked to Dave at kellyco, he said if you send it in to Kellyco, he will fix it for 1 hour labor. ($75) If you don't want to send it in you can fix it by spraying it with plasti-dip, about 4 coats.

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
TH, thanks for the information. And tell David thanks also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread