My Garrett ATP Will Fund My New Minelab Excalibur II Metal Detector For the Surf

Dec 4, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:
I think this is how to get new equipment and not worry about what the wife will think or where the money comes from...So what I am doing is leaving a large 5 gallon plastic water jug in the living room so my wife can see it everyday and i am filling it with all the CLAD finds to fund my new purchase of a Minelab Excalibur II Metal Detector for beach hunting in the water this coming summer...Just so she knows I am not spending money foolishly by her seeing the jug filling each week...! I have done this in the past to buy other detecting items and furnish my once a year long trip journey to somewhere cool I research and want to detect. All husbands should have a slush fund like we do...lol.Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
med_662355227edf550dbc.gif

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:
I think this is how to get new equipment and not worry about what the wife will think or where the money comes from...So what I am doing is leaving a large 5 gallon plastic water jug in the living room so my wife can see it everyday and i am filling it with all the CLAD finds to fund my new purchase of a Minelab Excalibur II Metal Detector for beach hunting in the water this coming summer...Just so she knows I am not spending money foolishly by her seeing the jug filling each week...! I have done this in the past to buy other detecting items and furnish my once a year long trip journey to somewhere cool I research and want to detect. All husbands should have a slush fund like we do...lol.Happy hunting!

I absolutely love this idea! I have an AT Pro as well that I use on the beach and my next upgrade I hope to be an excal as well. I was just considering this idea earlier when hearing of others gold find and large amount of clad found along the beach. Good Luck to you! I am sure the excal will be worth it; I know it will be for me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't need a 5 gallon one to do that. I've got one half full and it has to have $1500 in it by now. I need to run them through the Coinstar, so, I'll let you know how much that comes to! :laughing7: And that doesn't include the jewelry value.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd not personally seen this, but I've heard over and over about how the ATP can't handle black sand.

This past weekend I went to the coast for some water hunting. I'd given my cousin my old Ace250. Yep, that's a shade below the ATP, but the Ace is a child of the ATP. Time after time my cousin called me over to check signals with my Excal.

He had a whole lot of falsing going on in that black sand.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea, if it works for you. I have a checking account that is in a different bank than where the family primary account is. It is MY hobby fund with PayPal attached. All my clad gets cashed in at the end of the season minus the halves and dollars and is deposited. I use this money for upgrades, repairs and other MD related necessities. In 2014 I dug over $500 in face value, last season it was about $360, and I will be close to that again this year. The only money that goes through the coin star now are the pennies, the rest gets cleaned, rolled and deposited.

I have yet to sell any of my finds even though my brother-in-law made me a great offer for my Key Date IHC. Someday I might sell it and and cash in my gold rings.

I keep my eyes peeled on the local classified ads and craigslist. Over the past few years I have bought detectors on the cheap and sold them for a minimal profit, leaving some meat on the bone for the buyer to make a profit if they choose to. Those funds also go into the hobby account. There are great deals to be had if you just look for them. I bought two $1200 detectors for $400 each, a $700 detector for a little over 10% of retail. My water detector was bought at about 30% retail cost. Call me cheap, but it works for me. Heck I even traded my boat for a metal detector (XP DEUS). The boat had set idle for 5 years. If the wife didn't do so much around the house, I'd be tempted to trade her for a CTX 3030. :tongue3:

One of the ways I save money is that many of the items I need for this hobby go on my Christmas list. Santa has been very good to me the past 2 years. In 2015, my birthday present was a NEL 15" x 12" butterfly coil.

What Santa is bringing this season (2016)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/523251-what-s-your-christmas-list.html

What Santa brought me last year (2015)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...y-christmas-all-what-did-santa-bring-you.html

Good luck on funding the Excal, I am certain it will happen since I can sense you are as obsessed with this hobby as I am.

P.S. One way to lose money is to become emotionally attached to your gear. I see some people who have every detector they ever bought. If I don't use a detector anymore, I sell it before it depreciates.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My better half Loves jewelry so she said enough spare change finds and bought me my Excal II. Going to be an interesting 2017, if and I mean if I find anything good with my new machine I may not even get time to even take pics before she grabs up my finds

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck and one nice find will put you in Excalibur Heaven, hopefully a nice big diamond, Mans ring.

OP
OP
S
Dec 4, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right thats why I hope to find enough CLAD to fund my new Minelab Excalibur...plus I want to hunt underwater and not worry if I am at 10 feet depth. I found a few old swimming holes that I am hoping have not be searched yet.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seekanddestroy-

Great plan actually!! My first detector ( Tesoro Tigershark) was bought in 2013 for the sole purpose of trying to locate a wedding band a newlywed dropped while fishing....it paid for itself 59 minutes into it's first outing!! It has since funded a Garrett Seahunter II and an Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, and clad finds have funded my last 4 dive trips... I keep a big ol water cooler bottle next to the door and empty the pockets every time I walk back in the door.

May wanna enlist the wifes "help" in any jewelry finds...she'd probably LOVE to "appraise" any good stuff ya find!! Remember..a happy wife is a happy life right?

Good luck!!

ag

OP
OP
S
Dec 4, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Stuff...!!! More ideas to fund and my wheels are turning now. Thanks and I am sure it will help others..truth be known I am new to this site but have been MDing since the 80's...I sold off some detectors and bought new ones and traded the whole nine. Then i took a few years off due to time commitments at work and home but here I am again so it is in my blood. Happy hunting!

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but you know you'll get that excal and then want a CTX. You'll get the CTX and they'll come out with a CTX 4040 right after you get it. Plus people aren't buying gold jewelry anymore - just stainless steel and tungsten. The diamonds you find you won't be able to sell. Global warming is screwing up our weather/erosion patterns and covering the good stuff.

Of course I don't let my wife know any of the above or what I spend on my detection hobby. I don't hunt enough to make the water jug thing work. I'm in line with Loco-digger. I looked for deals on all my detectors and bought many in not working, water damaged state and fixed them myself or had the manufacturer fix them. It is always nice to move to a new detector that eliminates problems or has added features missing in the last. About two years into the CTX the used pricing got down sometimes to half of retail and I got one. I have yet to see one for sale with issues - kind of bizzare given all the griping about its design faults. Excals are different - you can find deals on them quite often and get into customizing yours.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just feel bad for everyone who fears their wife and/or needs to make an "excuse" to do whatever you want hobby-wise.

GL & HH

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I put this jar on top of the fridge last year. It is now a receptacle for my clad, although I just took it down to snap a pic and there is a $5 IOU in it from my wife!
IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0725.JPG

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I love to dream, thus I love to see dreamers out there!

I don't know if I'll ever recoup the money I've spent on detectors. Good Lord, I think it's like 16 detectors I've purchased. All but one (and the five I have right now) I've given away to family or friends who I wished would get into the hobby - AND hunt with me! Encourage me on! Only one stepped up.

Keep the faith!

Be patient with the Minelabs. I'm a believer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread