No finds just a question.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much lead is in a normal weight belt for diving?I have 9+ pounds I processed into bars 100_6117.JPG 100_6118.JPG .Does the amount of lead change the heavier you are.Might be a dumb question, but I would think a heavier person would be more buoyant????Is there a chart somewhere that tells you how much by your weight, how much your weight belt should be?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I wear my heavy wet suit - I have to wear 70lbs to keep me on the bottom you have to realize theres a difference in what you would wear to regular dive I wear less and when I dig - Im to buoyant and I will move - the 70 keeps me right on the bottom firm but that's me

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on how fat you are.

Put some on, see if you achieve neutral buoyancy, add or subtract until you find the right amount for your body structure and what you are trying to accomplish.

Salt or fresh water, what garments are you wearing- all of it makes a difference.

~oh, and I should add that these don't appear to be typical dive type weights. How do you intend to carry them?

YOU MUST have some easy and fast quick release system to drop the weights.

If you do not, and can't, it makes it easier for rescue divers to find your body because you won't float away with the tide or currents.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting partner, Indian Steve, uses 50# of lead in his belt and seems satisfied with that.

OBN surprised me with a belt in the mail! Thanks my friend! What a cool and decent individual!

I'm still looking around for weights to populate it. I guess I have time, as it's 22 degrees out there this morning!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 22 pounds on my belt and with shorts on it keeps me grounded in neck deep fresh water but with a wet suit on, I need more. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to point out...

How much those look like Jesuit silver bars.

I know where the door is, I will show myself out now...

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to point out...

How much those look like Jesuit silver bars.

I know where the door is, I will show myself out now...

LOL why yes, yes they are.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 22 pounds on my belt and with shorts on it keeps me grounded in neck deep fresh water but with a wet suit on, I need more. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs.

Alas, I'm slipping into dementia! I thought Steve was using 50#.......

Oh the sorrow of aging America....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to point out... How much those look like Jesuit silver bars.

Well that sounds like a good idea for stuffing my belt!

I guess it would if I actually had some poundage :(

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what I am gathering from the post is that it does vary on body size, conditions and I assume the water, whether salt or fresh will make a difference on buoyancy also.Yeah I haven't come up with a belt yet but it will definitely be quick release we have way too many drowned individuals in our area to not have thought about that one.I don't hunt saltwater and no waves to worry about pretty much always calm and don't think I will be trying it out until next summer just wanted to know how much more I was needing to collect.Thanks for the responses guys.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what I am gathering from the post is that it does vary on body size, conditions and I assume the water, whether salt or fresh will make a difference on buoyancy also.Yeah I haven't come up with a belt yet but it will definitely be quick release we have way too many drowned individuals in our area to not have thought about that one.I don't hunt saltwater and no waves to worry about pretty much always calm and don't think I will be trying it out until next summer just wanted to know how much more I was needing to collect.Thanks for the responses guys.

Also depends on your wetsuit thickness and age too. I'm 225lbs and need 22lbs in the cold Cali waters with a 7mm farmer john type wetsuit. I've also dove in Honduras with no wetsuit and 6lbs

Ugly J

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight belts require a special mold so the weights can be strapped to the belt. Your mold might work for a vest type BC with pockets but not a dive belt with a quick release system. Safety is a priority when in the water with weights. For added safety you can buy a manual inflating life vest. Little pricey but worth your life. IMG_0341.JPG

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all depends on how FAT you are.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is 10 pounds but I'm a lite weight at 190, Then extra weights are added once I go from wetsuit to drysuit for the winter under garments which hold more air. The basics are everyone is different so one must test and retest before the perfect balance is found.

OBN0021.jpg

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In water weighting depends on ALOT of variables...salt vs freshwater, wetsuit and or undergarment thickness, your bodys personal density, and an individuals "tension" in the water...IE...how relaxed are you?
I generally use 2 pounds per MM for wetsuit thickness..a new wetsuit is much more buoyant than an older compressed suit...good place to start would be average 10% of your body weight in lead and go from there...but remember...have a way to ditch it if ya need too in a hurry!!

I'm 6' and alittle over 200 pds... in a 3mm suit diving, I use 4-6 pounds...in a 7mm with hood and gloves..16 pounds.. you'll probably want more if your just wading neck deep to stay fairly anchored. Might want to look into a DUI drysuit type weight "harness" for detecting. Keeps the lead off your hips and distributes it ALOT more evenly.

You'll wanna experiment abit...surge, depth, how hard your breathing,wave action, wind..all will effect how much lead you'll need on any given outing. But remember...whatever you use in the water will weigh 30X's more out of the water lol...or at least feel that way!!

Good luck!!

ag

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In water weighting depends on ALOT of variables...salt vs freshwater, wetsuit and or undergarment thickness, your bodys personal density, and an individuals "tension" in the water...IE...how relaxed are you?
I generally use 2 pounds per MM for wetsuit thickness..a new wetsuit is much more buoyant than an older compressed suit...good place to start would be average 10% of your body weight in lead and go from there...but remember...have a way to ditch it if ya need too in a hurry!!

I'm 6' and alittle over 200 pds... in a 3mm suit diving, I use 4-6 pounds...in a 7mm with hood and gloves..16 pounds.. you'll probably want more if your just wading neck deep to stay fairly anchored. Might want to look into a DUI drysuit type weight "harness" for detecting. Keeps the lead off your hips and distributes it ALOT more evenly.

You'll wanna experiment abit...surge, depth, how hard your breathing,wave action, wind..all will effect how much lead you'll need on any given outing. But remember...whatever you use in the water will weigh 30X's more out of the water lol...or at least feel that way!!

Good luck!!

ag

Very informative thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread