PI machine advice

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I've decided to go with a PI machine for the shallow water area and low tide area at my beach instead of something like an Excalibur. I've taken a bounty hunter to my local beach and while there is trash, there isn't a ton of it to make me want to quit digging things. Should I expect the shallows to be less trashy?
I also really like the warranty of the sand shark... is there any1 with bad experiences with those? Would any1 recommend anythinginstead of the sand shark? Any advice is appreciated!!
Also, would the sand sharks ability to find stuff be just as good as say a at pro/gold in the dirt? Better? Worse?
Thanks in advance!!!

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Of all the Shark owners never have I heard anyone complain about it. Good Luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sand Shark is one of the best saltwater beach PI detectors you can buy. It is deep and sensitive, and much better in 5'+ water than the Whites Dual Field because of its pulse delay. Whites users will argue (like Ford and Chevy owners) but I've used the Garrett Seahunter, the Dual Field, and the Shark, and only kept the Sand Shark. I use the 8" coil, because it is deep enough to find anything that is there, is lighter, and cuts through the water like a hot knife through butter. It "flips up" less in the shallow surf wave action, and is much easier to manipulate while SCUBA diving or snorkeling.

OP
OP
C

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses u two!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice finds you have there. One thing on the sand shark is it is not too heavy. My Dual field was way front heavy all the time. I finally had to go to a straight shaft and mount the electronics behind the elbow. That payloader in your video must have blew out the Sand shark speaker...... <grin>

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Enjoy being a beach cleaner :) oh and btw don´t forget to buy a good sand scoop ! spend once in a good one than twice or 3 times in junkers, any one will agree on this here.

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't afford the CZ21 so I went for the Whites Dual Field PI. Digging everything but double beeps required a good scoop. So, I ordered a Stealth 920i and a "Raptor" handle. The raptor handle sure made it easier to lift a full bucket of wet sand,feels like 30 lbs,out of the hole without damaging your wrist. Since July 2016 I found 4 rings. a small silver with diamond chips and fire opal (wet sand) a tungsten band (wet sand) a 12 gram 14K size 11 mans ring (chest deep) and a Tiffany Plat950 size 12 6mm wedding band about 20 inches deep in wet sand plus coins and plenty of junk. With the Gain at 3 o'clock position and the pulse delay at 7 o'clock position you won't miss a thing. I'll be ordering an Anderson straight shaft to see if that helps to keep the coil near the bottom while in the water as it wants to float ( stupid design) If that doesn't do it I can also order the coil weight Anderson makes for this detector. I'm hoping Whites will come out with a better vlf water machine than the BHID 300. I would like a two or three freq. machine with more power and a battery compartment completely waterproof separated from the electronics section and a "real" neutral bouyant coil.If they don't, It will be the CZ21 unless Fisher comes out with something better

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, there is less trash in the water than in the dry sand. That's all relative however. Some washout areas I've hunted were loaded with iron and/or aluminum junk. Just depends on conditions and what kind of bottom you have and how the targets are concentrated. I gave up on PI machines in our area because of that. A machine with discrimination is so much easier to pick and choose your way through all that junk. I hear lots of newbies say that they don't mind digging everything, until they do it for a while. With the Sand Shark, you will dig everything, so, be careful what you wish for! :laughing7:

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, there is less trash in the water than in the dry sand. That's all relative however. Some washout areas I've hunted were loaded with iron and/or aluminum junk. Just depends on conditions and what kind of bottom you have and how the targets are concentrated. I gave up on PI machines in our area because of that. A machine with discrimination is so much easier to pick and choose your way through all that junk. I hear lots of newbies say that they don't mind digging everything, until they do it for a while. With the Sand Shark, you will dig everything, so, be careful what you wish for! :laughing7:

Well said I'll second that having been there. That being said if that's your budget go for it it's a great machine easy to learn and your finds can pay for the next machine if you so choose. Good Luck

OP
OP
C

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price point does come into my decision quite a bit... nearly triple the price of the sand shark is the Excalibur...
However I am currently 10-2 and favored +25 points in my fantasy football league and if I win this week I'm guaranteed at least nearly half the cost of the Excalibur in winnings... guess it will all depend on the outcome of Sunday/Monday's games LOL!!!
But at least if I have to go with the sand shark it appears to have good feedback from you all.

Wish me luck!!!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chase...there are pros and cons to PI vs VLF...I'm sure you've done abit of reading re: differances already. That being said... I AM a Loyal Tesoro fan I will admit... I bought a Tigershark for freshwater recoverys 3 years ago, and it paid for itself in the first hour of use. It's since paid for a Seahunter II and an Excaliber...as well as the last 4 or so dive vacations!!

You WILL dig everything with a PI detector. I LOVE my Tesoros...bulletproof, simple to operate, and outstanding warrantee. They just freakin WORK. But....there IS something to be said for the Excaliber....it's a VERY versatile machine....but it does take some time to learn what it's telling you.

My 2 cobs?...Get a Sandshark, and a GOOD scoop ( don't scimp there) and work the snot out of here. She WILL finance other machines if you let her!!

Best of luck and keep swingin!!

ag

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price point does come into my decision quite a bit... nearly triple the price of the sand shark is the Excalibur...
However I am currently 10-2 and favored +25 points in my fantasy football league and if I win this week I'm guaranteed at least nearly half the cost of the Excalibur in winnings... guess it will all depend on the outcome of Sunday/Monday's games LOL!!!
But at least if I have to go with the sand shark it appears to have good feedback from you all.

Wish me luck!!!

I love the Excal because it gives you the option to dig everything if you want.....unlike a PI machine where you have to dig it all. My machine paid for itself in less than a month.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Nothing wrong with a Sand Shark ... but I prefer the Dual Field's sound..and I have two of them now. Should sell the Sand Shark for sure.

As far as scoop...VERY important to get a good one. It'll pay for itself in the long run.

Joe

OP
OP
C

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear the Excalibur will miss some gold and if I'm looking in the surf I sure would hate to miss some gold ring... also hear that the headphones are awful on it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most detectors, it might miss a small gold stud earring or chains with tiny links , but, it's not going to miss a ring. I've found really small toe rings with mine, even with the huge 15" coils. I've found my share of chains (with small links too) and earrings, so, I doubt you're going to miss much. Headphones are all a matter of personal choice. Some like them, some don't. I changed to the GGA's and find they're not as comfortable as the stock ones. The sound quality is better, however, and having a volume control is a definite plus. IMO, the stock blue phones don't sound too bad, but the yellow ones aren't as good. They're a bit tinny sounding. Both are comfortable enough to me. There are some headphone mods out there that you can make. Peltor ones come to mind. You might want to do a search for some how-to info. I think OBN has some tips on that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hear the Excalibur will miss some gold and if I'm looking in the surf I sure would hate to miss some gold ring... also hear that the headphones are awful on it.

What you probably "hear" : That gold the Excal may miss is talking about things like earing studs, tinsel thin chains, etc... NOT "some gold rings".

And I can understand your feeling of "not wanting to miss those earing studs or thin gold chains". Afterall, an earing stud could be mounted with a diamond, eh ? But bear in mind, when you have a machine that is sensitive enough to find dainty items that small in wet salt, you've now entered the arena of pulse machines. And as you can see from multiple other responces here, that comes with a price: You will dig all iron . Unless you try to 2nd guess tones all day and night. But nagging doubts will send you digging a bunch "just to be sure".

And the average newbie will then say "I don't mind digging some iron, if it means not missing any dainty gold" right ? For some touristy clean beaches, perhaps this is a good method/tactic. And perhaps the price is worth it (not much iron where you're at). But I have seen over and over again on the beaches near me, where a pulse guy comes down to join us on a storm eroded beach. Quite happy that he "won't miss a thing" and can effortlessly tackle any black sand, goes deep, etc... But after 20 minutes he's sent packing, to head to other beaches, to look for greener grounds. Why ? Because he was averaging 20 nails per each conductive target. And while those of us with standard machines are digging conductor after conductor, he's pulling his hair out, trying to discern single vs double beeps every foot (since targets abound after storm erosion).

Then a few days later the same guy shows up again for more erosion. THIS time he's sporting a standard discriminator.

Here's one way I've heard it put:

The positive side of beach pulse machines
: "They're so sensitive, you can get a bobby pin at a foot down !!"

The negative side of beach pulse machines:
"They're so sensitive, you can get a bobby pin at a foot down !!"

:tongue3:

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much appreciate the surf MD experienced information!

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
The Sand Shark was my 1st serious detector! It has served me quite well in all areas. Service is 1st class! If you hunt a trash area, be prepared to dig a lot! After a while I got to recognize hair pins, hooks, small wires. As Terry mentioned it does run deep. My complaints about the SS are that mine seems to sing a higher pitch at the end of each swing (farthest from my body) as if there is a shallow target. My other issue is in the surf, my coil seems to flip up more than I feel it should. I do hunt the ocean where 2-4 foot waves are almost everyday. I plan to go with a straight shaft this year. The SS is also very light and cuts through the water with very little resistance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread