Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Detector(s) used
Excal II 1000, Aquasound, Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi,
My wife wears her Excal II on a chest harness and one inherent problem with that (according to Minelab Repairman) is that the wire in the cable will eventually break (not at the end that screws into the battery, but in the middle of the cable).
Does anyone know where this cable can be purchased (complete), or at least the cable size and compression fittings? I can find the three-prong connector, but need the other parts (cable, compression fittings) to make a complete cable from battery to control box.
Thank you,
Bob

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
My wife wears her Excal II on a chest harness and one inherent problem with that (according to Minelab Repairman) is that the wire in the cable will eventually break (not at the end that screws into the battery, but in the middle of the cable).
Does anyone know where this cable can be purchased (complete), or at least the cable size and compression fittings? I can find the three-prong connector, but need the other parts (cable, compression fittings) to make a complete cable from battery to control box.
Thank you,
Bob

The short can be at the ikelite connector to the battery, at the endcap where it enters the controls or anywhere in the cable in between.

Minelab does not sell parts so your going to have to custom make that cable, plus you have to pour the correct kind of resin in the back of the endcap to make it water proof, pour the wrong kind of risin and it will delaminate and leak then you just trashed your mother board. I recommend you have it repair professionally.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know how the MOUNTING would make a difference with that cable....... it can with the coil cable. Like TH said dont assume its the wire. Open the make connector.... and clean it. Also, spread those prongs a bit.... they may not be making a good connection. What kind of sound are you getting? Some believe its their battery cable.......when in reality its their headphones.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew is correct, make sure there is a gap between each half of the power pins, if they touch your not getting a good conection. Could also be corrosion in the ikelite connector itself where wires connect to the lugs.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Last edited:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Bob if you are sure about it being the power cable, I would check where the compression rubber squeezes the cable at the 3 prong plug, the other end has a stress relief on it. I had my 1000 cable fail there, The Ikelite connector comes apart and can be rewired and only losing less than 1 inch of wire, so no need to replace the whole wire and get in to a can of worms.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,
Thank you,
Bob

Yes very comment on the xcal II's, I use this cable but it is not color coded, just numbered and
the best cable I have found for the job since it is used in robotics, and perfect in size, .24... https://www.mcmaster.com/#9936K16
Take notes and pictures and triple check all before hooking back up to the battery, if you do decide to do yourself...
Not a easy fix and this one I would recommend Kellyco.
OBN0101.jpg

OP
OP
B

bobamis

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hi Dew,
Yes, I can't figure out why the mounting would make a difference, as the battery cable seems like it would be independent from the mounting, and like you wrote, it would seem the coil wire would be more affected. But, the repairman at Kellyco, before I sent it in but told him of the problem, the first thing he asked was, is it hip-mounted? I said chest mounted on a harness and he said a break in the middle of the battery cable was a common problem with chest/hip mounts. He even told me to tell my wife to stop using the chest harness mount.
I just got back the Excal with the problem fixed, and I have another Excal (our back-up unit) needing the same repair. Checked the Ikelite connector and it is fine . . .

OP
OP
B

bobamis

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the Ikelite connector, it is fine (I've had them go bad and replaced them myself). We have 3 Excals. The break in the battery cable happens near the middle of the cable. I just got one Excal back from Kellyco and have another with the same problem ready to go into for repair, if I can't figure out how to do the repair myself.

OP
OP
B

bobamis

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hi TH,
Yes, I checked the Ikelite connector for corrosion and did spread the pins. We've got three Excals and I've replaced the Ikelite connector due to corrosion several times. This time, however, the break was around the middle of the power cable. Kellyco says this is common with hip or chest mount. Just got one Excal back from Kellyco with the repair, and have another Excal needing the same repair (Ikelite connector taken apart and connections are fine).

OP
OP
B

bobamis

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks, OBN, for the info. What I was looking for, now just need to decide if it is worth the risk of screwing it up by doing it myself, or pay for a professional. Just had one repaired (professionally) and have another needing the same repair.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the Ikelite connector, it is fine (I've had them go bad and replaced them myself). We have 3 Excals. The break in the battery cable happens near the middle of the cable. I just got one Excal back from Kellyco and have another with the same problem ready to go into for repair, if I can't figure out how to do the repair myself.

this is where it failed , at a flex point with no strain relief. the connector was fine.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
B

bobamis

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Jim, this may be where the break is, close to the Ikelite connector. Checking on it now. Thanks!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are more likely to get that battery cable breakage from constantly putting it on and off. Check to see that the ikelite isnt broken on the tube too. I had one cracked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread