Choosing A Beach And Water Machine - PRIORITY #!

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great info,, who is "Joe" I am planning on buying one very soon

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great info,, who is "Joe" I am planning on buying one very soon

"OBN" in these forums, though he's retired from doing the mods and simply enjoying the extra and well deserved hunting time now.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look up Robert Ferguson on YouTube, he recently had his Excal modified for the pinpoint button. You could probably comment on his post and get info on who did his mod.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ML stopped making the 8" machines. Joe (Ole Beech Nut) has a LOT of u-tube videos with great details on how to do the work. These mods can transform the Xcal to a different more capable machine. A great pair of headphones can make all the difference for our type of hunting and the PPer gets you a little more depth (more sensitivity can be run and little to no recovery time) using reverse disc to speed up recovery.

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "reverse discrimination"?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "reverse discrimination"?

Many hunters hunt in disc mode and then use pinpoint to isolate the exact location of the target. Reverse disc is just what it implies, hunting in pinpoint and then using disc mode to identify the quality of the target that is detected in pinpoint. In pinpoint you generally get a little more depth, which is why some hunters prefer to hunt in pinpoint mode all the time, switching to disc mode only after a target has been encountered. Hence, "reverse discrimination."

Also, something to try that will often work when you encounter a lot of interference while trying to hunt in disc mode, switch to pinpoint and see if it the issue goes away, sometimes it will. Disc mode utilizes more frequencies which makes it more susceptible to interference.

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense. Another question - In discriminate mode the threshold has a steady hum but in pp the tone varies especially at the ends of the swings. Is that variance normal of do I need to tune better?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense. Another question - In discriminate mode the threshold has a steady hum but in pp the tone varies especially at the ends of the swings. Is that variance normal of do I need to tune better?

With my 3 Excaliburs, it's the other way around. In pin point, they all have a steady threshold. In Disc, the threshold will change with every target.

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's interesting. As I learned it in a vacuum by myself perhaps I'm missing something. I need to find an on site teacher.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's interesting. As I learned it in a vacuum by myself perhaps I'm missing something. I need to find an on site teacher.

Is your volume maxed out? On the excal it is the volume switch that gives you the various tones and the volume is strictly the target volume. In desc you get the various tones, in PP all targets should give you the same tone. Excal is deeper in manual than auto, volume should be maxed out and no discrimination.

In pp if you turn your threshold down to were it is first becomes audible it will allow you to hear real deep targets you want here if you turn the threshold up. With 10" coil I hear targets over 18" deep in pp that in discrimination you will never hear, you have to remove one or more scoops of sand before you start to hear it in discrimination mode. This is the reason we hunt in pp mode, it is much deeper than in desc mode, and even deeper when you use a larger coil. I have 3 excals, one has 15" WOT, one has 12"x15" Detech SEF Butteryfly coil and last one has a 12"x13" Nel Tornado coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you?

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for heads up on the Excal!

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in St Martin for 3 months. Many of the beaches are just too rough to hunt. The sea takes 3 feet of sand off the beach one week and puts it back a week later. I know there has to be volumes of valuables out there but getting to them is very difficult. But I cant complain. I'm here.

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these pointers are appreciated. Gives me things to try. Thanks everyone.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in St Martin for 3 months. Many of the beaches are just too rough to hunt. The sea takes 3 feet of sand off the beach one week and puts it back a week later. I know there has to be volumes of valuables out there but getting to them is very difficult. But I cant complain. I'm here.

You pay my expenses and I'm happy to come give you some lessons! I have a current passport! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread