depwraith

Jan 10, 2017
Pinellas Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and a
Detector Pro Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have an old headhunter pro diver that has seen better days and thinking about a new machine. Will be used almost exclusively at beaches/shallow saltwater west of Tampa. Looking at the Deus (not sure on version), Etrac, Excalibur 2 and of course the CTX 3030 (not sure I want to spend that much though).

Any recommendations from those of you that have hunted the same area or conditions?

Upvote 0

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pondered this for 3 months and went with the dual field, and I think the thing that swayed me to the dual field was after reading the owners manual on both machines, the Whites just seemed simpler to set up , threshold, gain. Done.

The guy I met on the beach day1 of my beach detecting used the Whites dual field. I'm not sure there is much difference in depth between the two machines. He's definitely better at picking up the deep tones compared to me. But any time he's called me over to see if I can hear the tone on my machine, I'm able to hear it on the shark.

Having another person to detect with is really great when you're new to the game. It's really helped me better understand not only my machine but also how the tides and swells effect my area to better anticipate where the next cut is going to be.

As far as difficulty, I don't think the shark is that much different. Gain is pulse width, threshold is threshold. Turn it on into normal mode and you're done.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy I met on the beach day1 of my beach detecting used the Whites dual field. I'm not sure there is much difference in depth between the two machines. He's definitely better at picking up the deep tones compared to me. But any time he's called me over to see if I can hear the tone on my machine, I'm able to hear it on the shark.

Having another person to detect with is really great when you're new to the game. It's really helped me better understand not only my machine but also how the tides and swells effect my area to better anticipate where the next cut is going to be.

As far as difficulty, I don't think the shark is that much different. Gain is pulse width, threshold is threshold. Turn it on into normal mode and you're done.

One of my hunting buddies uses the White's Dual Field also. I use either my E-trac/NEL 15" coil setup, or, Excalibur with the same coil. When it comes to depth, the dual field will go a slightly deeper than the E-trac, but not as deep as the Excalibur. I've compared it other PI machines (Sand Shark and Sea Hunter) and the Excal is deeper than those two also. The only machines that are consistently deeper than my Excal is the Garrett ATX, Minelab SD and GPX series, and the GPZ7000. If you're willing to dig lots of iron, there's nothing wrong with using a relatively in expensive PI machine......just don't use depth as a justification, because a properly set up Excalibur will go deeper......at least here on our SoCal beaches.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my hunting buddies uses the White's Dual Field also. I use either my E-trac/NEL 15" coil setup, or, Excalibur with the same coil. When it comes to depth, the dual field will go a slightly deeper than the E-trac, but not as deep as the Excalibur. I've compared it other PI machines (Sand Shark and Sea Hunter) and the Excal is deeper than those two also. The only machines that are consistently deeper than my Excal is the Garrett ATX, Minelab SD and GPX series, and the GPZ7000. If you're willing to dig lots of iron, there's nothing wrong with using a relatively in expensive PI machine......just don't use depth as a justification, because a properly set up Excalibur will go deeper......at least here on our SoCal beaches.

Not sure I would agree about the excal being deeper than a pi machine if you don't mind me saying, I have just bought a Sea Hunter and it's quite a bit deeper than my CZ21 but that's just my experience.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I would agree about the excal being deeper than a pi machine if you don't mind me saying, I have just bought a Sea Hunter and it's quite a bit deeper than my CZ21 but that's just my experience.
With a 15" DD coil on excal, hunting in all metal using reverse discrimination I hit targets over 22+" deep with mine and I still dig no iron. With stock 10"coil using same method I can see 18" buried quarter in my test garden.

A lot of people just do not know how to tune an excal for max depth until taught, those of us experienced with it using large coils and reverse discrimination know I am telling the truth.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Last edited:

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 CTX's, 1 Excal and several PI's plus an AT Gold. If you are going to be strictly hunting water then I would recommend the Excal. Do the straight shaft like others have stated. Some beaches have lots of iron and you are going to get sick of digging 2 foot holes with a PI for a nail while others are out there are finding rings. For non trashy beaches the PI is good way to go. If you are going amphibious then get the CTX. My CTX is my main land machine and it works great at the beach....however I have found that the Excal gets targets just as deep and maybe even slightly deeper then the CTX especially in black sand. I bought my Excal with 8"coil for black sand/trashy beaches here in California where the CTX has a little trouble. Good Luck and HH

strick

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
Hey Soda pop, I live in swfl and have a Tigar shark vlf and a White duel field pi. When you get down here I'd be happy to show you both machines. I really enjoy both, I found when I had my Tiger shark at the beach I was always running in all metal and decided to get the pi. There is a difference , it's just how much effort (deep digging) your ready for.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Regarding AT Pro (otherwise great machine) - Not for use on salt water beaches with black sand (iron) added in as in west coast of Florida...It will constantly talk to you (not in a good way).

Last edited:

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a 15" DD coil on excal, hunting in all metal using reverse discrimination I hit targets over 22+" deep with mine and I still dig no iron. With stock 10"coil using same method I can see 18" buried quarter in my test garden.

A lot of people just do not know how to tune an excal for max depth until taught, those of us experienced with it using large coils and reverse discrimination know I am telling the truth.

Wasn't trying to say you are wrong buddy as I've never had an excal, just surprised as everything you read and hear says a PI machine is usually always deeper. Sounds like you have your machine well dialled in! Good hunting bud.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't trying to say you are wrong buddy as I've never had an excal, just surprised as everything you read and hear says a PI machine is usually always deeper. Sounds like you have your machine well dialled in! Good hunting bud.
No problem, I didn't mean to imply you were, just posting my view based on my experiences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions