depwraith

Jan 10, 2017
Pinellas Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and a
Detector Pro Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have an old headhunter pro diver that has seen better days and thinking about a new machine. Will be used almost exclusively at beaches/shallow saltwater west of Tampa. Looking at the Deus (not sure on version), Etrac, Excalibur 2 and of course the CTX 3030 (not sure I want to spend that much though).

Any recommendations from those of you that have hunted the same area or conditions?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal II and CTX 3030 only two that can be used in the water. I would consider the excal first then the 3030. The etrac will work but not water proof, if used at beach in wet sand it will work but will need an environmental cover and be sure it is used or you will get corrosion from salt mist in the air entering through the speaker openings..

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Hunter is right; those 2 are your best choices.

If you will do ANY dirt hunting, get the CTX.
If you will do ANY scuba diving, get the Excal.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher just lowered the MAP pf the highly regarded CZ-21 to$1299.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the time tested and proven Excal, eventually upgrade with the modifications.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet! My suggestion is the Excal II and if you want to try out a CTX you can get top dollar for the Excal should you wish to sell it. Also consider you may want to get a straight shaft for the Excalibur for comfort and balance.
Good luck!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excal and CTX...period. And if you're handy you can build a custom fit straight shaft from aluminum stock found at any marine store for under $20 (like I did). GL and SH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or, you can get real and get a $600.00 Tesoro 10.5" Sand Shark and never look back. :skullflag:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice production terry

OP
OP
D

depwraith

Jan 10, 2017
Pinellas Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and a
Detector Pro Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see how the sand shark is any better than my head hunter, but thanks for the suggestion.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is good for shallow water as well.

Not salt water though, mx sport will do salt water. but if your concentrating on the beach there are better machines than both of these

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see how the sand shark is any better than my head hunter, but thanks for the suggestion.

Why not stick with that (or a newer one)? I love my DP HH Underwater, fresh or salt doesn't seem to matter. So glad I didn't get the ATpro. And it's half the price of the Excal. Can dive to 100' (I don't dive), all electronics are in the headphones, straight cable, light weight (no box) for water detecting. Only 8" coil, but I've had no problems with it. Tone and dig machine, but the non-ferrous targets sound off nice and clear. Any click to it and it's iron. And the shaft is 3 pieces for easy travel.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Now THAT's Funny! :laughing7: I wonder if Eric Foster is still laughing? :tongue3:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like never digging iron, that is one of the big reason why I love the excals...

OP
OP
D

depwraith

Jan 10, 2017
Pinellas Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and a
Detector Pro Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT's Funny! :laughing7: I wonder if Eric Foster is still laughing? :tongue3:

Meaning will the sand shark help reduce the number of iron digs any more than my current machine? I'm looking for advice, not sarcastic responses that don't help. Thank you to those that have replied with reasoning.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Shark is a pulse inductive machine. It doesn't discriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous metals. In other words, a beep and dig machine. It gets great depth and the price is a bargain compared to many others, but, too frustrating to use where there's lots of iron targets.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have an old headhunter pro diver that has seen better days and thinking about a new machine. Will be used almost exclusively at beaches/shallow saltwater west of Tampa. Looking at the Deus (not sure on version), Etrac, Excalibur 2 and of course the CTX 3030 (not sure I want to spend that much though).

Any recommendations from those of you that have hunted the same area or conditions?

Look at all the past recoveries posted in these forums and there will be one very constant machine, the Excal. It's been around a long time, it's a proven machine, and it performs well in most any beach environment. Most experienced hunters who own other machines still have and use an Excal, and there's a reason for that. There's a reason why it's still top dog on the beach. And if you eventually upgrade the machine with the recommended modifications there just isn't another machine that can offer you so much performance in a wide variety of conditions. It's the one beach & water machine where you really can't go wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread