Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
Both my Excalibur pods (original and spare) have developed cracks this past year and no, I never dropped them.:icon_scratch:
One pods is original with my Excal (around 97-98) and the other I bought from Kellyco around 2005 just before I came back to the UK (:unhappysmiley: ).
As I say both were ok until this year. I'd replaced the original clapped out ni-cad batteries in one about 3 years ago and decided to change the
ni-cads in the spare pack as they weren't holding charge for long so got one of the new Li-Po EX 300 packs to put in.
Although they (the old ni-cads) looked fine they were a b*stard to get out so they must have swelled slightly causing the hairline crack along the pod and one at the bottom.
So I am assuming other people have had cracked pods and my question is what have you used to weld/seal the cracks up with? I've looked at various plastic fixes of flea-bay etc. Plus after I've done whatever I can I will put some sort of marine sealer (like they use to hold glass fish tanks together) over the cracks.
I don't dive but do (or did when in Florida) wade waste/chest deep) so there wont be much pressure in that regard.
So any good tips? I'm not shelling out extortionate minelab prices for new pods.
Cheers Martin.
p.s. please send some sunshine.:laughing7:

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll come in on this one, I'd love to see a huge conversation here.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I'm not sure I have any value add here. But I have friend that used PVC, wire barrels and epoxied it in a nipple and made a waterproof battery pod. Can't see thru it, but other than that it works like a champ.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll come in on this one, I'd love to see a huge conversation here.
...So you write 1 sentence?? C'mon DADS, you can do better than that! :laughing7:

I know nothing about that detector, so will need a little more info please. The "pod" that you refer to holds the batteries, correct? And this "pod" is supposed to be waterproof? How much space is there on the outside of the pod (where the cracks are) when installed? Also, any idea what type of plastic it is? Some epoxies will stick to some plastics, but not stick to a few.

There's a recent glue I've heard about that is supposed to put super glue to shame, and also doesn't need the moisture of a poly glue. Has a really long shelf life also. Ah, here's the article:
FARM SHOW - “The Last Glue” You’ll Ever Need

Another idea would be to take out your pod and try out various different glues on it, one drop at a time. Let the glue droplets set up, then see how hard it is to get them off using a small pocket knife. If any refuse to come off, then use those for your fix.

To fix, get some small scraps of thin but strong fabric, such as from a handkerchief. Place a layer of glue down that will cover the crack and, if possible, the entire side of the pod. Next, lay fabric into the still-wet glue. Let set. When cured, go over the fabric with another layer of glue. If there's still ample room inside, you might want to make the patch 2-layers thick.

NOTE: Again, I'm trying to get over being sick, so not sure if this sounds as good as it does to me (at the moment), but hopefully worth a shot, right?

...Possibly Gorilla glue? Maybe that would stick well. Otherwise, there's a tube of 2-part epoxy that is meant just for plastics. However, it might get a little messy to work with. Might want to have latex (surgeons) gloves on regardless of what method you try.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend you get get housing replaced, one leak into the housing on the motherboard and your going to end up needing a new motherboard sooner or later. Once you get salt water on the motherboard even if treated it is going to fail eventually.

Housings are $25, decal is $10 and a hour labor charge to swap it out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's the battery pod that cracked, I just used plastic epoxy on mine. I just use it for the surf though, as I don't think it would hold up to any extra pressure. The epoxy might, but, the rest of the old pod would probably just start cracking in a new spot. If your crack is in the control pod, I'd get a new one before you have a leak.

OP
OP
L

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
Thanks all for the replies.
Treasure Hunter, its not the main housing, its my battery pods. Luckily!
KCM, yes the battery pods/housing. No, there is no room inside for any sealer really. The batteries go in tight against the sides. prob' why one pod at least cracked as batteries would only need to swell a couple of thou to crack the pod.
I doubt very much water would ingress through the cracks just being in the surf but don't want to risk it so I will seal em.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies.
Treasure Hunter, its not the main housing, its my battery pods. Luckily!
KCM, yes the battery pods/housing. No, there is no room inside for any sealer really. The batteries go in tight against the sides. prob' why one pod at least cracked as batteries would only need to swell a couple of thou to crack the pod.
I doubt very much water would ingress through the cracks just being in the surf but don't want to risk it so I will seal em.

Be sure you seal it good, if it floods and battery shorts it is possible to damage circuits on your motherboard.

OP
OP
L

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
Be sure you seal it good, if it floods and battery shorts it is possible to damage circuits on your motherboard.
No worries there. I'll do a good job.
Plus the likelyhood of me wading much in the sea over here is not very often unlike when I was over in Fl. The sea is normally too rough and too cold!:eek:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
...So you write 1 sentence?? C'mon DADS, you can do better than that! :laughing7:

Well old friend, anything that looks like it might cost me money from here forward, I just kinda like a wee bit of forecoming. Since I've 2 Excals, I really do need to pay attention. As we all should. We need to know just what we need to navigate through with our machines. You take the fact that I've a CTX and 2 Excals? Got some money in these guys.

To me that means I need to be VERY VERY aware of the issues I need to guard against.

And so should we all :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battery pod cracks, generally two main causes in the main part of the pod. The first is a slightly oversized rechargeable battery pod, those that have to be pressed into the pod. When these pods go from hot to cold they contract and expand, which can cause the cracking. I quit using rechargeables a long time ago as AA are cheap, they can be found anywhere, they last, etc. They just workout better for me.

The second cause is generally associated with the endcap, caused by either over-tightening the connection or allowing the pins/receivers to become corroded enough that they fit too snug, again causing cracks between and around the female receivers in the endcap. It only takes a little additional pressure to cause these cracks so always keep your male/females super clean.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Major cause of cracks on housing is not being careful with the pod and allowing it to be hit or knocked around. The collars under the knobs is where most leaks come from, cracks there can compromise the seals.

Another issue on battery pod is sinking the allen screws too far in the end cap. Allen screws should be flush with the body on endcap end, not counter sunk in.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used the 5 second UV curing filler with great success. The liquid is a liquid that seems to like to fill small cracks and then when cured it is one outstanding fix. You have to follow the directions, it NOT your typical "glue". I have used it to seal several polycarbonate voids, most notably the control posts in the old Sword Excalibur. The post were a separate piece, not like the molded in ones of the 800, 1000, and Excal II housings.
I have also used it on the original Sword battery pods, they have a glued in bottom piece. Again unlike the newer pods that are molded in one piece. The instructions elude to the fact that this system is not a "glue" but rather a "filler" and proper curing is necessary.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WW.... ive never used the UV glue, but did get a note on it, seemed like liquid plastic.

BS.... i also found a cause for those battery tubes cracking is the rubber is to thin. I make my own now with a punch,leather punch, and auto rubber.. Never had a tube crack yet.... but like BS said those older machines like the blues or swords have 700mah batteries and with that age they start letting you down in a few hours. People get these new smart chargers and they DONT shut off because there may be one or two cells bad. That means they get real hot..... dont leave um exposed to HOT sun say in the back of a truck then jump into the COLD water either.

Id use 3600 lbs marine clear glue...... well no i wouldnt, id buy a AA battery pod.... you arent diving. Like was mentioned........ anyone using a machine in the water had best EXPECT them to need repairs.

OP
OP
L

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
As I have said, I've not dropped the pods and they didn't have any cracks until recently. One is 20 year old the other 11, so I imagine, plastic, like it does when it gets old gets brittle and the original ni-cad packs being a tight fit inside the pods swelling slightly is probably what caused the minor cracks in one (which has a new 1300mAh Ni-MH pack now) and one long crack in the body of the other, which I just took the ni-cad pack out which was a bast*rd to get out leading me to believe that is what caused the crack(s).
I have a new Ex300 (3000mAh) Li-Po as I say which slides in easier and by all accounts from other users gives weeks of use on one charge not a few hours like the ni-cads.
Oh I've seen the UV glue/fillers. was going to try one but have ordered some plastic glue to try first. Melt the crack together then I'll seal over the pod too.
cheers, Martin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions