My Letter to Minelab

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 / Tesoros Deleon & Sand Shark
My Letter to Minelab - GOT CONNECTOR & FINAL UPDATE!

Fellow pirates, although I visit here from time to time, I realize I don't post here often and I apologize for that. However many of you have known me for years from another forum. After getting my Excal 1000 a few weeks ago, I had done tons of reading, research and watched lots of videos on its use and operation. I saw many, if not all, of OBN’s modding videos and few others as well. My friend Jim, that’s an electronics wiz, did all my repairs on my detector. The only thing he did not replace because I was unable to locate one was the cracked Ikelite connector - the one that goes from the electronics pod to the battery pod. Jim thought that, despite the crack in the connector, that connector would hold. At the moment, he’s got my detector and he will be removing the silicone grease and epoxying the whole area within the connector. Although this may not be end up being the culprit, I do not see anything else that could be causing faulty operation after submersion in water. Regardless, I have learned something about Minelab and its Excals that I am sharing in my email to them below. If I receive a response, I will share it with an UPDATE.

Hi,
I recently purchased a used Minelab 1000 that needed work done to it. I have other detectors made by other companies but this is my 1st Minelab detector. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that’s an electronics expert that did the repairs needed on it so that it would be able to operate it. He replaced the rotted cable sheathing and fixed a battery solder connection that had been done improperly by the previous owner. The only thing he was unable to replace was the Ikelite battery connector which he said was cracked but still usable. This is the connector that goes from the electronics pod to the battery pod. After using it in the water, the Ikelite connector just isn’t working properly and water is seeping in impacting the proper operation of the detector. The part will be able to be epoxied for a permanent repair but I preferred to replace it altogether. After much research, I have looked into buying the part but it doesn’t seem to be available. (Ikelite Part #4101). Below is a picture of the part in question. Additionally, I called the Ikelite company in the USA and they told me that the part is discontinued. I called Kellyco Detectors, which is as far as I know, your only authorized repair center in the USA and they will not just sell me the part. They stated that “I must send the detector in for repair”.

On the metal detecting forums which I am a part, there are many stories on how repairs at Kellyco Detectors are taking an inordinate amount of time. I’ve heard of repairs for “non-warranty” work taking even months. I do not understand how I cannot just buy the part so that I can make my own repair? Much like an automobile owner. The Minelab Excalibur is not a discontinued detector so I find this inability to purchase a part for it, or to be forced to send it in to 1 specific company for a simple repair, bordering on extortion. I could understand a bit of unreasonableness if the part was a proprietary circuit board, but this is a connector that was used in other products that were not just metal detectors. At this time, I respectfully request that Minelab review its policies on the selling of these parts so that owners of Excaliburs can make their own repairs if they choose to do so. It is my belief that this policy change would be favorable for Minelab and eliminate much of the negative comments regarding repair issues in the USA.
Sincerely,
Felix ******

BTW - This is where I sent my email to [email protected] in case any of you want to write to them as well or direct me somewhere else.

UPDATE #1 - Minleab Americas responded last week after 1 day! I am impressed with the timely response. Here's their message below:

Good morning Felix,

I am waiting on an answer as to whether we can send this part you for a customer repair, I will have an answer for you today. If it needs to come in for repair, we do have another service center in Arizona and this technician handles all of our gold detectors and most recently our Excalibur’s and his repair timeframe is 2 to 3 weeks. But at this time let me find out 1st if we can send the part to you and we can proceed from there.

Cindy L Wilson
Customer Technical Support Coordinator
Minelab Electronics | 1938 University Lane, Suite A, Lisle, IL 60532
T: +1 (630) 401 8159 | F: +1(630) 401-8178 | E: [email protected]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][U][B]UPDATE #2 - On Thursday i got this from Minelab and they're willing to sell me the part. I think this is satisfactory if its sold at a reasonable price so we'll see. However, I don't think that anyone should have to go through all this to buy that part. It should just be available for order[/B][/U].[/COLOR][COLOR=#006400]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Felix ******,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]We understand your situation and would like to get the part shipped to you based on the ability to replace it yourself or through a friend which you have stated in your email. If you could please send us your shipping address we will work up an invoice based on pricing for the part plus shipping, but understand this part will be warranted in new condition and once it's installed will no longer be covered by Minelab Americas, we are only able to warranty parts that have been installed by one of our technicians. Once we receive payment we will get the part shipped right away.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]Best regards,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]Brian Lewis[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]ASC West[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]Minelab Americas | 1938 University Lane Suite A, Lisle, IL 60532 USA.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080]T: 1-877-767-6522 | F: +1-630-401-8184 | E: [email][email protected][/COLOR]

Attachments

• Ikelite 4101.jpg
    Ikelite 4101.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Minelab probably does not want to be put in a position where they are selling parts "as is" with no warranty or return since they have no control over whether the parts are being used/installed correctly.

As a Manager for an A/C branch store I would occasionally have homeowners coming in to buy electrical parts in an attempt to fix their own systems. I always made sure they understood that there was no warranty or return on parts since we had no way of knowing if "they let the smoke out of them". :dontknow:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the part is discontinued – and Kelley Is fortunate enough to have a stock of them – they would be fairly foolish to sell them - instead of retaining them so that they can continue to service the detectors.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, are you 100% certain that it's the connector causing your issue? At times in your post you seemed uncertain? If you're not 100% certain then please post "exactly" what is taking place and I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback towards isolating the issue and fixing the problem.

Typically, if your machine is shorting out between the two post in the connector due to water leakage it will generate a "squall or constant screaming sound" instead of random falsing. In other words, the short will generally be constant and not an intermittent occurrence like that of a random separation of a contact/wire etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
First, are you 100% certain that it's the connector causing your issue? At times in your post you seemed uncertain? If you're not 100% certain then please post "exactly" what is taking place and I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback towards isolating the issue and fixing the problem.
No, I'm not 100% certain the connector is causing the issue. But I'm 100% certain it's cracked. And I believe that still is irrelevant to my ability to purchase an item that I feel I should be able to purchase. Thanks for your comment on the operation I haven't heard that one so I'll look into that.

Last edited:

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
Look up OBN he might be able to tell you where you can get a replacement part.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great letter Felix! ML needs more repair centers!! KellyCo is doing all they can and are overwhelmed!

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Felix, I know of a dive shop that use to sell them parts, the more you bought the more you saved, you can check them out and see if they still sell them parts, they use to be 4101 4105 and 9107. hope it helps

Scuba Etc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI..... The repair center gets more than a few detectors in that were worked on by someone else and it caused failures and flooding and cost the customer to spend hundreds to correct someone else's repair work. Wrong size o-rings, wrong hardness of o-rings, poor solder jobs on motherboards causing shorts or damage to motherboards, wrong type of resin used in endcaps causing flooding are just a few examples. You get just a few drops of salt water on the motherboard you looking at a major repair bill and or constant issues as it continues to corrode.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until you get the replacement part issue resolved, I'd swap the ikelite connector on your machine with the one on your battery charging adaptor. If I remember correctly, they are still available if you buy the adaptor.....albeit expensive.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark is right, you can purchase the battery adapter and make it work. It's pretty much the same. Cost about $75.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
They need to keep hearing from us!! 12 weeks for a repair at Kellyco is unacceptable! Last rep I talked to I expressed my displeasure with service. Glad you were able to buy your part. Wish I wasn't at their mercy! If there was a great option for a water machine that wasn't minelab I'd be looking at it!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd love to send my Blu tube 1000 in...but I cannot and WILL NOT wait months for the work to be done. Too many stories about Minelabs service history for me to risk weeks of downtime and $100's of dollars... I will simply continue my own repairs, and buy another Bluetube when and if I come across one...

Sorry Minelab...

OP
OP
FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Hey Felix, I know of a dive shop that use to sell them parts, the more you bought the more you saved, you can check them out and see if they still sell them parts, they use to be 4101 4105 and 9107. hope it helps

Scuba Etc.
I called them this weekend and they don't have any on hand. I also called a few local dive shops. It seems they all try to order from Ikelite who I called and no longer makes them.

OP
OP
FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Although I'm still waiting for Minelab to send me invoice for purchase of Ikelite from them I bought this under $30 on Ebay. it was suggested to me by a member on another Forum. The connector seems to match! I'll still buy one from Minelab and then I'll have an extra for the future. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 127
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
After getting an answer on Thursday, Feb. 23rd that Minelab would sell me an Ikelite, and responding that Thursday evening by email, I was not contacted again until I reached out and emailed them again around midday on Monday, Feb. 27th. At that time, I was told that “somebody would call me either that day or tomorrow”. In the afternoon of the following Tuesday. the I got the call from Minelab and paid for the Ikelite. It was just under $49 - much better than getting the battery one for $75 and rigging it. Well yesterday the Ikelite from Minelab came in! What’s even better is that the connector seems to match the strobe one that I got off Ebay for under $29 even though the housing is a little different. When my electronics buddy gets them next week I will know with 100% certainty. I will also ask, if he can, that he use the one from the underwater strobe light instead of Minelab’s and keep the Minelab one as a future backup. A big THANK YOU to those of you for suggestions and assistance! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread