Close Call with Riptides and Found Little Girl...

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I metal detect the water, I always check weather, surf, tide, etc. Forecast was 1-2 footers calming down in the afternoon. BULL. When I first hit the water the waves were good 2 footers with an occasional 3 footer to keep you on your toes. Good undertow was also evident. Any ways, was in the water about 10 minutes but no trough and everything in the water seemed sanded in, more or less. Wasn't getting any bites. The waves and undertow didn't help and decided to hit the beach and concentrate on an older high tide line. As I worked down the beach I saw water formations consistent with riptides (long pooling of water on the beach and draining rapidly at one location). On shore, I tested a few of the holes created by the rushing water; about 1 1/2 ft deep! (no targets) As I went further down the shore, riptides were evident (wave height was dampened compared to the sides and water looked more rough). I guess the riptides were unexpected, they were not in the forecast and a helicopter was patrolling the shores... for people like me.

Back on the beach, I followed footprints on the back beach to areas of high density people movement; a hotel or restaurant path, for example. Found some clad but nothing special. Also found a small aluminum/junk metal little girl charm, or so I thought. Had to make the decision; coin purse or junk pouch (never to be seen again), went in the coin purse. When I got home and laid out everything, I examined the little girl charm and didn't see any makes around the clasp, usual spot, so I looked at the bottom of the feet - no luck; probably junk I said to myself. I laid the charm down and on one shoe noticed something - 925C1. Sterling! There's something on the other shoe but can't make it out. Not sure as to the meaning of the C1? Put a smile one my face. Number 7 silver for the year.
20170222_161631.jpg 20170222_161708.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions