Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Language of all chargers I know, Green is go, red is stop and wait. Whats hard is thinking you can hunt many days without charging.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A BLINKING red usually means there is a charging problem. Try cleaning out the pod's female terminals with a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Make sure the tension of the male adapter pins are good. A very thin knife blade pushed into the slot in the male pins will increase their tension. Do not push too hard or twist as the one side of the pin may break off. Reconnect, look for Red - charging condition, a full charge may take up to 3 hours. Green = full charge.

Get ready to detect for 50 hours without a recharge. I keep an hour log and recharge at 45+ hours as the low battery warning yelp will last for some 2 hours during which time you can still detect. If you do not detect more that 50 hours in a month, try charging on the first of each month or every other month (odd or even months) depending on your detecting time.

As for charging - THIS IS IMPORTANT - use only the EX-3000 Li-Ion charger on the EX-3000 battery pack. AND DO NOT use the EX-3000 charger on NiMH or Ni-Cad battery packs. And vice versa. The chargers use different types of charging modes. The Li-Ion charger first charges at a constant current until a set voltage is met then it switched to a constant voltage until a set drop in current is met. The Minelab charger is only turned off the the time when you unplug the charger. Other and better, aftermarket, NiMH /Ni-Cad chargers look for a drop in voltage while the pack is charging. At that point the charger goes to a trickle charge. Additional safety features may be incorporated into a battery pack such as over temperature and under-voltage shutdown.

More charging info:NiCd and NiMH:
Li-Ion:

These are the two best videos I have seen on the subject.

OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Water Walker. That explanation helps. Seems like the battery charger adaptor is defective. First i couldn't charge the excel battery pod. Now having issues with the ex3000. If I wiggle the adaptor pin the light will change from red to green. Think I need to get a new adaptor.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can probably save a few dollars if you have or know someone that has a soldering iron and a bit of solder.
First make a mark on the adapter where the LONG screw is - mark BOTH sections of the black plastic. And take a photo of the connector showing the marks. This might come in handy when re-assembling the connector.
Remove the silver cap nut and the rubber grommet were the charger plug in. Put them in a cup.
Remove the two screws. Put them in the cup for safe keeping. The nuts should stay in the plastic.
You will probably see one of the lead going from the brass fittings to the silver connector that has broken loose.
Re-solder the broken connection.
If there is no broken connection, make sure the set screws in the brass connectors are tight.
Re-assemble the adapter. Three important steps are when pushing the two plastic halves together keep the center pin that is soldered to a wire in the center of the barrel around it. If it is not centered: take the plastic pieces apart and carefully bend the one wire to re-center the center pin and try pushing the halves back together again, repeat if necessary. Put the rubber grommet and cap nut back in place. Third the LONG screw make sure it is orientated as it was when you marked the adapter and took the picture.
You just saved about $75 if you bought on the internet.

Attachments

• Excal Adapt.JPG
    Excal Adapt.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Water Walker. I should be able to manage that. I really appreciate the help. I definitely owe you one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread