I know you're out there - Non-waterproof machine users

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at the beach last night with my new to me Explorer SE. I stayed shallow (less than knee deep), as I'm not crazy. But I had a difficult time using the scoop and making sure the machine stayed well away from the water. Luckily here on the Gulf, waves are pretty mellow, it was still a bit of a challenge.

I'm sure there are others that use non-waterproof machines in the wet, so how do you ensure your machine stays dry?

P.S. - I have a Sand Shark coming tomorrow, but I know I'll still be using the SE in the wet.

Upvote 0

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a Sovereign on the beach. Luckily you are able to remove the housing and wear it around your neck. Other machines, well, just be very careful and make sure the arm cuff is on tight.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run a sling on it. Cheap insurance.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind there is salt mist in the air, if you don't have it in an environmental cover your going to get corrosion on the motherboard from the salt mist in the air that enters through the speaker holes

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even with a safety sling, I almost let my Safari hit the ankle deep water once. Talk about heart skipping a beat. Never again, bought an Excal.
ScheiBt happens- stay on the dry and damp until you get a dedicated water machine.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Get a moisture cover for control box. High humidity or mist combined with wind drives the explorer series crazy once it's in the housing or battery contacts.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any pics of the slings? Trying to figure out the best way to rig it, and need visual aids. :) I do have the environmental cover, which is a blessing with this ultra fine sugar sand we have here.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that if you are only going in to the knees, that it's almost a waste of time?

Most of the crap that I find at that depth is trash, as most of the good stuff is out deeper............although that's just my opinion.

If you need your display to find targets then a clear bag of some sort would have to be fashioned to the machine.

The strap that people are talking about is to prevent you from accidentally dropping your machine in the water, however if you bend over to pick up your find your machine could go for a swim.

Good luck.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John, I agree that the good stuff is out deeper, hence the Sand Shark. I want to use the Explorer to go from the dry into the shallow, and after my first experience, I realized I need a way to ensure it doesn't accidentally go for a dunk. The trouble was in using the scoop while trying to hold onto the machine where I was becoming a spazz. When I got a target out of the hole and into the scoop, I would then walk up past the waves towards the dry to pull the target.

I was thinking about some type of tether on a carbine clip, maybe a bungee of sorts?

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost one machine to JUST the salt mist...Got the mother board:BangHead:

That brings up another point.

I live in the salt air. I'm 0.6 miles from the bay, and 1.5 miles from the Gulf. I live, eat, and breath salt air. Other than an environmental cover (which I already have and use), is there anything else I can do to protect the machine? Thinking of a spray from electronics that protects from water and salt?

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Explorer XS that was previously owned and I went out and bought a cover as noted before I ever took it near salt water or out on anything other than a hot, dry day. While beach hunting with it, I always came back and immediately popped the cover off, wiped it down, all over with a cloth wet down lightly with fresh water, immediately died it and then put the cover back on after I had wiped it down and dried it off. It was too expensive to me to lose to a error I could possibly prevent. The only issue I have with it is the Headset hole, lost the plug I had for that once it started to fail and until I can have it repaired, I will just used the speaker, but that needs to be plugged before it sees salt-air again. My white's MX Sport will be carrying on that duty from now on.

sexton

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old timer that detected here on the beach was telling. We have it made with todays equipment. told me his first water machine was a converted land machine. they took the controls and mounted them inside a construct helmet the old aluminum type.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started using my SE Pro in the water 8 years ago. I go all the way up to the box. I did drop it in the water once and had to take it apart to dry out.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try this..................trade it for a WATERPROOF machine. The piece of mind will be well worth it...

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kirk...Once you learn the Sand Shark that Explorer will become a closet fixture.For the beach and water you just can't beat a Sand Shark.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kirk...Once you learn the Sand Shark that Explorer will become a closet fixture.For the beach and water you just can't beat a Sand Shark.

I expect that for the actual water, it'll be Sand Shark all the time. But for the dry sand and land, it'll be the SE. I think it'll be 60/40 SE to SS, based on my typical hunting habits.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, be very careful, I had my sovereign in knee deep salt water when a little bit bigger wave hit me and got it wet. It fried it! So I bought an Excalibur later that day. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread