Wet sand metal detector

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after watching hundreds of youtube videos of people using bounty hunter, garret etc vlf metal detectors in the wet sand I'm very confused.
Can I get a metal detector for under $500 to work in wet salty sand.
Is it a matter of buying one with ground balance?
LRP or a whites with ground balance maybe?
I don't expected it to work exceptionally well is there something I can get away with and be happy with?

Upvote 0

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Take a look at the Minelab explorer series. Excellent performance in the wet sand at ocean beaches with a display or the sovereign series, basically Excalibur in a box. Can't go wrong with either choice. Just make sure to cover control box of the explorers. Humidity and moisture from sea mist drives them crazy. Happy Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi-frequency or Pulse Induction machines.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cherza, I recently went through this; wanted a saltwater wet sand detector for ~$500. I had decided on a Sovereign GT, but they are almost impossible to find. So after losing my patience waiting for one, I started looking at the Explorer series by Minelab. I found an Explorer SE with the Pro coil for the $500, and grabbed it. It has worked great in wet salt, in the water, and on dry land/sand. It's become my #1 all around detector.

Not sure where you live, but if you're where there are waves, I would suggest looking for a submersible machine. Even though the Sov's and the Explorers are good in the wet, the box has to be kept dry at all costs, or else you end up with a paperweight. I found working the scoop in the surf, and making sure I was keeping the box high and dry, to be difficult. You have to keep one hand on the machine, and work the scoop one-handed with the other.

That's when I realized I needed another machine, specifically for the surf, so I bought a Tesoro Sand Shark. The Explorer will be for working beaches in the Bay, where there is little to no wave action typically, and the Sand Shark is for the Gulf, which has wave action.

Either of the machines can be had used for $500 or less (the Sand Shark used runs about $350 used, I bought new for the warranty). If this will be your only machine to start off with, I would get the Explorer/Sovereign, but stay out of the surf, and just work the wet sand. If you already have a land machine, get a Sand Shark or White's Dual PI as a water machine, and then you don't have to worry about getting it wet. If you are working calm waters though, the Exp/Sov will be fine to about thigh deep or a little deeper.

YMMV
HH!

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys
Not going into the surf and depth will be ankle deep.
Is the minelab explorer discontinued ?
I am in australia I could not find it on the website
Here I did see the minelab safari though?
Is that better model ?
So it's looking like fbs is the way to go for wet sand

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the Explorer series has been discontinued, but it's still supported from what I understand.

I think the Safari is the predecessor of the Explorer, but also the e-trac is as well. Not sure of the differences, except that the Safari doesn't have a backlight, which was a must-have for me, as I do almost all my hunting at night, so I didn't look into it as much. Initial specs seem to be the same between the two series, but others will know better then me.

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mine labs look really good however they are different to what I'm use to
Are they easy to use I'm a beginner and my current machine is a garrett ace?
Will I get use to it fairly quick?
the tone is defenetly different to the garretts
Looks like I have some saving to do

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd look for a deal on a used Minelab Excalibur. Then you can go in and out of the water, wet sand and dry beach at will and never have to worry about anything happening to it.
The straight carbon fiber shaft is something some folks add so the Excalibur is balanced and just floats over the sand.
Plus the resale value is good.
Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after watching hundreds of youtube videos of people using bounty hunter, garret etc vlf metal detectors in the wet sand I'm very confused.
Can I get a metal detector for under $500 to work in wet salty sand.
Is it a matter of buying one with ground balance?
LRP or a whites with ground balance maybe?
I don't expected it to work exceptionally well is there something I can get away with and be happy with?

If you want discrimination, any of the Minelab BBS and FBS machines will work great. So will a Fisher CZ20/21. If you don't have much iron trash on your beaches, a PI machine will work fine also, but, they have no discrimination, so, you'll dig everything. It's the single frequency VLF's that have a problem being stable in salt water.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more you dig the more you fine! Save money, find more, go PI!

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I might look into getting the minelab safari
Just need to find a used one under my budget.

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for the explorer or safari guys so keep an eye out for me please
Sam

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Explorer series has been discontinued, but it's still supported from what I understand.

I think the Safari is the predecessor of the Explorer, but also the e-trac is as well. Not sure of the differences, except that the Safari doesn't have a backlight, which was a must-have for me, as I do almost all my hunting at night, so I didn't look into it as much. Initial specs seem to be the same between the two series, but others will know better then me.

Only the Explorer SE AND SE Pro are still supported by Minelab, No parts available any longer for the earlier explorers.

ETrac has a faster processor, back light and more search programs than the Safari is the major differences.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only the Explorer SE AND SE Pro are still supported by Minelab, No parts available any longer for the earlier explorers.

ETrac has a faster processor, back light and more search programs than the Safari is the major differences.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!
The e-track would be really nice but it's out of my budget at the moment
The safari would be fine I don't think I need the back light
A second hand explorer se pro I think has a back light so if I ever need one it is there and used it's more in my price range.

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now finding one might be tricky nothing in aus and postage to here is pretty expensive

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more you dig the more you fine! Save money, find more, go PI!

If you want to find more total targets, sure. I would rather dig more GOOD targets........and I do, compared to my buddy using a PI machine. He spends a lot more time digging junk than I do. If you get into a real junky area, the difference in our good finds vs. junk finds is even greater.

OP
OP
C

Cherza

Feb 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett seahunter mk2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys my minelab etrack is on the way
Found one last night for 1000 aud

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey guys my minelab etrack is on the way
Found one last night for 1000 aud

That is an awesome machine and you will be happy. Just be very VERY careful near the water. If you search the forums you will find tons of posts where guys were on the water edge and dropped the machine in the water...the end result isnt pretty. So just be aware and you will be fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread