Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok! So I was going through all my clad finds today a little closer and I think I have a silver quarter and a silver nickel. How do I confirm?

20170314_180148.jpg 20170314_182018.jpg 20170314_180207.jpg 20170314_180235.jpg

They both look like one solid piece of metal, they don't have the green corroded look my other quarters and nickels have and they are very worn from being in the surf. I can't read any dates.

Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
War nickels have a large mint mark on the reverse...and many times they'll have black sticky corrosion. The silver quarter: sprinkle salt on it and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in a hot cup of water. You'll get a rotten egg (sulfur) odor. after 20 minutes there should be a black coating which can be washed off in soapy water. Then polish it up with baking soda..using your fingers.

If it's clad there won't be the black coating and no smell.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can't read em before the rock tumbler I'll check them after but silver will be more black less red or green. A quarter that corroded will not be worth more than melt so I scrape the edge on the ground or another coin until I can see the copper. If you found it in the dirt silver often comes out nice and shiny after a hundred years so hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but its looking doubtful. Even silver quarters from the ocean look ok until you store them for a while.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can't read em before the rock tumbler I'll check them after but silver will be more black less red or green. A quarter that corroded will not be worth more than melt so I scrape the edge on the ground or another coin until I can see the copper. If you found it in the dirt silver often comes out nice and shiny after a hundred years so hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but its looking doubtful. Even silver quarters from the ocean look ok until you store them for a while.

Ok, so I'm not messing with any value of a beach tumbled silver coin by playing around with it or trying to shine it up? Doubt I would ever sell it if it is indeed silver.

These two coins stuck out from all my other coins simply due to how worn they were, and how clean the metal was. None of the typical gunk or corrosion that I typically see from ocean coins.

Guess I'll try the salt and aluminum trick.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
The quarter has no numismatic value. File or sand the edge. You should easily be able to see the layers of a clad coin.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did the salt thing and didn't smell rotten eggs. Not sure how strong it's supposed to smell. The aluminum turned black? Lol. I dunno haha.

I'm gonna try to file the edge to see if i can see the sandwich next, and put these coins to bed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread