First time using Excalibur

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time with my new used Excalibur I love it first time ever using one. Found my my first slq and I think a few more silvers as well try to clean them 20170319_173851.jpg 20170319_173859.jpg 20170319_160336.jpg 20170319_113156.jpg up later . I went in the water and my friend hunted the sand was a great day here's what my first 4 hours on the excal sniffed out thanks for looking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I set my discrimination at 1, sensitivity at 6 or 7, however the location likes, and just dig everything with a solid tone, running in Disc. I take the threshold to a tolerable hum.

Most of the really experienced people here run in Pinpoint. I've tried that as well, sometimes vary between the two depending on how I'm feeling. Solid signal, 90 degrees, solid signal. Out comes the scoop, simple as that.

OP
OP
tlane38003

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tlane38003

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing, if you didn't already know this, think of the threshold as representing it's own search field with two distinct target tones. When that threshold encounters irregularities in the ground it will respond with either a smooth mid tone or a low growling tone. When you get a threshold break that responds with that smooth mid tone “always check out the source of this interruption” by removing one or two scoops of sand and rechecking the target. Removing this sand allows you to get your coil closer to the source of the interruption, (it also reduces the amount of mineralization between your coil and the source), which will often result in the receiving of a recognizable target tone. A lot of deeper gold has been found this way.
Thanks bigscoop have been watching your Youtube channel very helpful not everyone is willing to help others coolness

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigscoop have been watching your Youtube channel very helpful not everyone is willing to help others coolness

At this point i get just as much enjoyment out of encouraging others to enjoy the hobby as I do finding the goodies myself. Thanks for watching, hope some of it helps!

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At this point i get just as much enjoyment out of encouraging others to enjoy the hobby as I do finding the goodies myself. Thanks for watching, hope some of it helps!

Would you mind sharing your youtube channel (PM is fine)? I just recently purchased an Excal and would love more videos to pick up pointers.

OP
OP
tlane38003

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you mind sharing your youtube channel (PM is fine)? I just recently purchased an Excal and would love more videos to pick up pointers.
Manalone I think is the name if you search minelab excalibur you find alot of vids good luck

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round up a collection of various items, everything from a flat piece of foil, a variety of coins, an assortment of rings, etc., etc. etc. Now find a location in your house where you can run your machine without any EMI. Put your machine in disc mode and start running each of these items past the coil with your headphones on while concentrating on the tones of each. What you will notice is that the returns of each item will be somehow different, if only slightly. Some returns will be hard and sharp, higher and lower pitches, others will seem flat and broad, etc., etc. These are the "wide range" of tones that experienced Excal users know by heart and they are the same tones/returns that you must learn as well. After you've done this for a while you can even have someone run the items past the coil in a manner where you can't see what item they have in their hand so you can try to guess what the item is. It sounds like a silly experiment but I promise you that it can go a long way in helping you to understand how that machine is communicating with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread