Dec 24, 2007
CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easier digging. People swim where sandy bottoms are, more so than rocky bottoms.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easier digging. People swim where sandy bottoms are, more so than rocky bottoms.

They used to bring oxen and liquor from New Orleans down this river but I'm sure if was dredged so they could get in. A block away from the landing where they used to come in I found a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales. I'm just wondering if anything good would be be below 6 ft of sand? I never detected the river before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's no different then a beach, during times of high water that sand gets reshaped, items get pushed and shoved around and redistributed. If that place has history then there's old items in there somewhere. If there's any type of a dam then I'd start around the edges of the water just below that dam. The stronger volume of water coming over the dam during periods of high water will often scatter items like old coins out of the channel and towards the shoreline, so this is a really good place to start looking for those older period connections. If you start hitting some old coins, which I can't image that you won't, then I'd really research the heck out of the place in search of those older swimming areas that may have existed back in the day. Take the time research how gold travels and is eventually deposited in gold bearing streams, items such as silver coins and heavier pieces of jewelry, like gold rings, are pretty much distributed in the same way. Also look for any feature that can act as a trap, such as rocks, rocky outcroppings, crevices, etc. Also, check the depth of that sand as you snoop around, more then likely there are places with much firmer bottoms under that sand.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's no different then a beach, during times of high water that sand gets reshaped, items get pushed and shoved around and redistributed. If that place has history then there's old items in there somewhere. If there's any type of a dam then I'd start around the edges of the water just below that dam. The stronger volume of water coming over the dam during periods of high water will often scatter items like old coins out of the channel and towards the shoreline, so this is a really good place to start looking for those older period connections. If you start hitting some old coins, which I can't image that you won't, then I'd really research the heck out of the place in search of those older swimming areas that may have existed back in the day. Take the time research how gold travels and is eventually deposited in gold bearing streams, items such as silver coins and heavier pieces of jewelry, like gold rings, are pretty much distributed in the same way. Also look for any feature that can act as a trap, such as rocks, rocky outcroppings, crevices, etc. Also, check the depth of that sand as you snoop around, more then likely there are places with much firmer bottoms under that sand.

I'm in Covington Louisiana and this is just a river with no damn, rocks or boulders it's just a sand river.

"The Bogue Falaya, also known as the Bogue Falaya River, is a 28-mile-long (45 km)[1] river in southeastern Louisiana in the United States.[2] It is a tributary of the Tchefuncte River, which flows to Lake Pontchartrain. The river flows through an area of mixed pine-hardwood and bottomland hardwood forests on the Gulf Coastal Plain"

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth...you know your going to try it. Good luck and post those pics! [emoji12]

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth...you know your going to try it. Good luck and post those pics! [emoji12]

Lol Rob you know I am. I'm knocking out my work, as we speak, so I can go tomorrow. I need that Spanish Silver High!!! I'm Hurtin

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I have all the respect for somebody that works with A sandy River I put in three hours and I'm totally wiped out. Nothing but aluminum cans and trash. Ugggh

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you got the junk out, go back for the treasures. It's there, you just have to look harder. :laughing7:

Come up to New England and try our sandy rivers. Our sand is fist sized rocks.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that you got the junk out, go back for the treasures. It's there, you just have to look harder. :laughing7:

Come up to New England and try our sandy rivers. Our sand is fist sized rocks.
In Louisiana it's like quick sand. Some spots are firm and some spots you may die. There is no bottom it ALL SAND. Lol

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If nothing under the sand look on the shore line. You said the river is real low. Look for the dumping sites from 100 years ago. May not be 8 Reals but think of the bottles and antiques Go on youtube and look for videos done by aquachigger.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a 1/8" Diameter piece of brass or other stiff- slender rod about 3' long from your local hardware store. Put some kind of "T" handle on top of it. The handle could be wood or metal, whatever you can cobble together, but smooth and sized to fit in the palm of your hand. Use the rod to bore/push into the sand to check how deep the sand is before you hit resistance of gravel, bedrock or stiff clay at numerous locations. Heavy targets will sink through the sand until it hits resistance and then settle there. Look at the layout of the sand, high on the bank, low near the water, even in the middle. Sure there is lots of sand coming down the river as well as flowing away from your location. But how deep is it where you think there might be treasure you will have to determine for yourself. Obviously, if there is no bottom to the sand, then you may be wasting you time to hunt there. Keep poking until you find the shallow sand and try hunting there or with that information figuring out where your best chances for a treasure would be. You got the general idea. Give it a try and good luck.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a 1/8" Diameter piece of brass or other stiff- slender rod about 3' long from your local hardware store. Put some kind of "T" handle on top of it. The handle could be wood or metal, whatever you can cobble together, but smooth and sized to fit in the palm of your hand. Use the rod to bore/push into the sand to check how deep the sand is before you hit resistance of gravel, bedrock or stiff clay at numerous locations. Heavy targets will sink through the sand until it hits resistance and then settle there. Look at the layout of the sand, high on the bank, low near the water, even in the middle. Sure there is lots of sand coming down the river as well as flowing away from your location. But how deep is it where you think there might be treasure you will have to determine for yourself. Obviously, if there is no bottom to the sand, then you may be wasting you time to hunt there. Keep poking until you find the shallow sand and try hunting there or with that information figuring out where your best chances for a treasure would be. You got the general idea. Give it a try and good luck.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm gonna try again in the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread