Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been following discussions about the CTX3030 on TreasureNet and FindMall for 2 years, reading everything available. Recently, I read, twice, Andy Sabisch's book on the CTX 3030. The biggest obstacle, besides price, in purchasing the 3030 was the fact that I own an Excal, that I really like, and the jump to a 3030 from the Excal seems incremental. After considering alternative options (basically, PI machines) ), I finally broke-down and purchased one from BigBoy Hobbies. The biggest factors in my decision to purchase a CTX3030 were the ability to swap coils, to program sounds and the ability to fine-tune discrimination.
For an introduction, I used the standard 11" butterfly coil and standard Beach program for my maiden voyage to the beach. I found the 3030 well balanced and easy to swing all day (5 hrs). Coverage was better with the 11" butterfly coil than with my Excal 10" coil, but depth seemed compatible. I did not like all the sounds (CO50) with the standard Beach program, so the first thing I did when I got home was use the Exchange2 program to modify the sounds of the standard Beach program to one more manageable (FE4). I also swapped out the 11" coil with the 17" coil.
My next trip to the beach, I used the 3030 w the 17" coil for 8 hours of continuous hunting (with 1 bathroom break and no lunch). After 3 hrs I switched arms from fatigue. After about 6 hrs of hunting, I had to keep switching arms every 1/2 hr or so due to arm fatigue. Boy was I done after 8 hrs. But, in general, I found the 3030 with the 17" coil very manageable without a harness (that I bought just in case). [FYI - I'm conditioned by long hrs of swinging the Excal in the surf for 4-6 hrs/day.]
I absolutely love the coverage with the 17" coil. Although I have never used a butterfly coil previously, I found pinpointing with the 3030 fairly easy using the wiggle technique and zeroing in on the 1" behind the coil notch at the top. I had recovery issues with a few targets and if I didn't recover the target after the second scoop I'd move 90 deg and further zero in on the target. Of course, the trials were on dry sand and pinpointing may become an issue in the surf where you might not be able to see the coil.
My average coin find/hr with the 3030 17" coil was more than my average with the Excal 10" coil (9 vs 7/hr). but basically consistent with the beach Also found one silver earring and 2 junk earrings. Garbage seemed to shift to more aluminum and foil, highlighting my discrimination mode. Tabs were more or less identifiable before I dig them up (FE12CO18). The biggest surprise was the number of paper and foil bottle tops and small pieces of aluminum foil that rang in at FE12CO2, where I was hoping to find a platinum or small gold ring...NOT. Some bottle caps, some newer some very rusted, rang in at various points along the FE11-13 lines - something I didn't expect but confirms my difficulties in screening out bottle caps with the sounds of the Excal; sometimes they ring in too good to ignore.

There has been a lot of talk about the gaskets for the CTX3030 and the need for thicker gaskets for the battery pod on older models. The gasket packs also have a gasket for the USB port on the back of the screen display. When I received my new CTX3030, there was no gasket pack, per se, and the battery pack gasket was already inserted in the back of the control unit where the battery goes. The new 3030 does not have a gasket for the USB port. Replacement gaskets for the battery pack and USB port should be ordered with the 3030 if you plan to be near water.
Overall, I absolutely love the CTX3030 and can't wait to take it out again for a long walk down the beach.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great review. I know that swinging that 17" coil on the land for 3 hours really took a toll on me. You're a better man than I am swinging it 8 hours. I'm still sore, got kinks in my shoulders and it was a week ago! I'm not old or decrepit, just extremely well aged!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently bought a CTX 3030. I have not been in the water yet, but I thought I remember seeing an O-ring inside the screw cap that covers the USB port on the back of the screen/handle. I will check this again BEFORE entering the water.

Also, if it's the "Updated" version, then there shouldn't be a need to order any gaskets/O-rings right away, right? They should have them already to hit the water out of the box?

Great read! It's nice to see how other users are liking the machine and figuring out about it.

GL and HH

Vdubguy

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great review. I know that swinging that 17" coil on the land for 3 hours really took a toll on me. You're a better man than I am swinging it 8 hours. I'm still sore, got kinks in my shoulders and it was a week ago! I'm not old or decrepit, just extremely well aged!

Oh, I'm feeling it the next day with sunburn on my neck. But, I think I simply over-did-it and would be sore swinging any detector for 8 hrs straight in the Florida sun w/o water or food...friggen NUT!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a water hunter you arent going to like that bulky shaft....... like swinging a 2X4 out there. Takes some getting used to. Hope you have a sun spot scoop....... you catch a lot more studs and smaller targets that drop thru your scoop. I prefer the combined tones....... having used the Explorer for years the FE digits just arent as reliable. So normally, if i can see the screen, i just watch the smart screen and the Con digit which are pretty reliable at depths. Get yourself a BETTER set of headphones especially if you have bad hearing. You should never have to dig a bottle cap. Im using the 2.5MM gaskets..... fills the hole a bit tighter and makes the clips tighter so they are less likely to pop open. i use an O ring at the bottom of the cap..... mostly to fill the gap of that FLAT area on the threads.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just recently bought a CTX 3030. I have not been in the water yet, but I thought I remember seeing an O-ring inside the screw cap that covers the USB port on the back of the screen/handle. I will check this again BEFORE entering the water.

Also, if it's the "Updated" version, then there shouldn't be a need to order any gaskets/O-rings right away, right? They should have them already to hit the water out of the box?

Great read! It's nice to see how other users are liking the machine and figuring out about it.

GL and HH

Vdubguy

Yes, I looked inside the USB port cap and there seems to be a rubber-type gasket in the back. Still makes me nervous.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread