Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finally pulled my third gold ring for the year from the Gulf today - a 14K "Love Star" men's wedding band (3.06g). Thin thing. It registers 12:13 on my CTX3030. I actually found it (w my Excal) while looking for a man's friend's class ring in the Gulf, lost several days earlier. After 1 1/2 hrs never found the class ring (hoping to tie recoveries with Ron Lord) but, I guess, as a consolation prize found the gold band.

20170330_181829.jpg

But the real motive of this read is that gold is really getting harder to come-by metal detecting. And I have the numbers to prove it! From 2013-15 I averaged 250-300 coins per gold piece. In 2016, the ratio dropped to 356:1. Even with my today addition, my Gold : Coin ratio for 2017 stands at 449:1! Ouch!! Yea, I know the year has really just started, but my MDing year in Florida ends in less than 3 weeks. We'll see how the ratio plays out but not giving up without a fight. Plan to hit the beach with the 3030 all day Friday and the water Monday with the Excal (1). Dang, if there's gold out there I'm going to find it...one piece at a time.

Not sure why gold is getting harder to find. At least that is my take on the rarity of gold in my scoop. May be it's all the new fangled detectors - the FSBs and MBP and LSDs - Or, I sure seem to find a lot of those off-gold wedding bands and rings; like stainless steel, Titanium, Tungsten, silver, ok silver is ok, but you get the picture. Or, may be that there are more Metal Detectorist? Those darn people seem to be everywhere.

If you hunt the Florida coast(either one) enough to have an opinion - Is gold getting harder to find or am I simply going backwards with my new fangled detectors and books and all that reading stuff?

(1) Still not comfortable sinking into the Gulf with the 3030. Call me a chicken or in this case call me a crab.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need a new place to hunt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
"Gone to flowers, every one..." Thanks for the memory. Those were interesting times. Good luck with the gold. Seems not many swamp yankees dropped gold rings or gold coins in their corn fields up here.
HH
dts

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the gold is coming, just not where you live.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally pulled my third gold ring for the year from the Gulf today - a 14K "Love Star" men's wedding band (3.06g). Thin thing. It registers 12:13 on my CTX3030. I actually found it (w my Excal) while looking for a man's friend's class ring in the Gulf, lost several days earlier. After 1 1/2 hrs never found the class ring (hoping to tie recoveries with Ron Lord) but, I guess, as a consolation prize found the gold band.

But the real motive of this read is that gold is really getting harder to come-by metal detecting. And I have the numbers to prove it! From 2013-15 I averaged 250-300 coins per gold piece. In 2016, the ratio dropped to 356:1. Even with my today addition, my Gold : Coin ratio for 2017 stands at 449:1! Ouch!! Yea, I know the year has really just started, but my MDing year in Florida ends in less than 3 weeks. We'll see how the ratio plays out but not giving up without a fight. Plan to hit the beach with the 3030 all day Friday and the water Monday with the Excal (1). Dang, if there's gold out there I'm going to find it...one piece at a time.

Not sure why gold is getting harder to find. At least that is my take on the rarity of gold in my scoop. May be it's all the new fangled detectors - the FSBs and MBP and LSDs - Or, I sure seem to find a lot of those off-gold wedding bands and rings; like stainless steel, Titanium, Tungsten, silver, ok silver is ok, but you get the picture. Or, may be that there are more Metal Detectorist? Those darn people seem to be everywhere.

If you hunt the Florida coast(either one) enough to have an opinion - Is gold getting harder to find or am I simply going backwards with my new fangled detectors and books and all that reading stuff?

(1) Still not comfortable sinking into the Gulf with the 3030. Call me a chicken or in this case call me a crab.
That's a Nice Gold Band!! Bottom line...........
More Pirates, less depositors wearing gold,.........Means less for the fresh droppers to find.

Ask the boys that hunted Florida 20 years ago how much it has changed...

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Obn said.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is spot on. Add to this that today we are seeing more tungsten and carbide wedding bands, etc., which is kind of surprising since they hold no real value and many of them are still rather pricey. :icon_scratch:

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beechnut hit it right on the head for sure, years back we could get like 30 rings a week or more, just to show you how it is now.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did it become ok to wear non precious metal rings as wedding bands?.... I know I don't like it because it cuts down on my gold finds but wedding bands are supposed to be gold...something as special as a wedding band shouldn't have a worthless resale value...Im on the minority side because EVERYONE is wearing them.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did it become ok to wear non precious metal rings as wedding bands?.... I know I don't like it because it cuts down on my gold finds but wedding bands are supposed to be gold...something as special as a wedding band shouldn't have a worthless resale value...Im on the minority side because EVERYONE is wearing them.

I personally do not wear any rings due to my line of work but have to agree with ya on the increase in non precious metal rings. My Son just got married last October and he chose a tungsten band over gold but his wifes was gold and diamonds. He chose tungsten because he too works with his hands and didn't want to spend the money on something he would scratch up or lose.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
You are tearing it up! Congrats on the beautiful gold!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread