gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, most rivers here are tidal where they run into the ocean. I live by the Hudson river and it has a tide all the way up for fifty miles or more from the ocean. Many locals hunt the low tides for artifacts and coins. The Thames in England is not too long compared to our big rivers and has tide most if not all the way up, but the major "mudlarking" is done closer to the sea where the tides are higher/lower.

albion30

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2020
Valley Cottage
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in London and mudlarked on the river for over 30 years and in that time I saw found some wonderful artefacts. However, I knew I was on borrowed time a few years back now they made a tv show called Mudmen and that coupled with social media like fb changed the scene for good. All of a sudden the solitude and tranquility gave way to hoards of newbie mudlarkers descending onto the foreshore sometimes by the coach full.
However, I am not complaining because everyone has the right to go down there and enjoy a free and wonderful day out steeped in so much history and anyway, if they do not pick the objects up that they find it will be destroyed by the very fierce tide in no time. So, happy for everyone to go down on the river but it is no longer for me plus, I now live in America NY (one month now) now so it would be a problem getting back there.
Maybe somewhere along the Hudson (I live in Valley Cottage) I will find a similar place full of colonial treasures..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread