Man fined for using metal hoe on beach. Associated Press

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An Alabama youth minister was fined $25 for using a metal garden hoe to dig in the sand with his 7-year old son while on spring break in Panama City Beach Florida. The officer told them they could not use metal tools on the beach. The law was adopted after a rowdy 2015 spring break and was designed to protect against sexual assaults.

Bring a plastic scoop?

Tek

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have read ALL of the post on this thread, why?, by the time I got to the last one, I wondered "why" myself. So here is my take on all of this (Could not help myself). It started with a little or unknown law, that few if any would have been aware of. "Metal tools on the beach" because of sexual assaults? I don't know, go figure, but where it went from there became a debate based on pure speculation on what might have happened between the two parties, as not even one of us was there, nor any videos or any one being of witness, or any details in any articles. Some "assume" that "The Guy" was being argumentative and refused to comply, and others "assume" it was the officer that was unreasonable in his approach etc. One or both may very well have been "polite" or neither may have been. None of us here REALLY know, now do we. Now, some laws are common and very well known by all of us, or should be, and others are so obscure or new, that they are unknown by most, if not all. As these post went on they became more argumentative and even insulting to each other. Some even seemed to be a contradiction or even hypocritical, as one poster stood out more then others in that way. It would seem he is all about law & order and when confronted don't ask, just comply, and even though the guy at the beach may never have known of such a law, he should never have asked, again no matter how obscure or unknown. I CAN agree with that if only diffuse a situation, but if confronted with a "law" so unexpectedly "out there", I would like to at least ask just what that law IS that I am breaking, and not be given a ticket because I wanted a possible answer to a valid question. Now as to the one "poster" himself? by his OWN post, he stated how he has been pulled over a "few" times for speeding, one time for 100mph in a 55mph zone, the other in a boat doing 60mph in a "idle" zone, but received No ticket because he was "polite" to the officer. Polite or not, in his case, he should have received a ticket and a fine, one reason, they ARE well known and posted laws, and he made the choice to ignore them, a few times, as he said. The sand castle guy was unaware of breaking any law. The guy speeding endangered anyone and everyone around him, the sandcastle guy had a "metal" tool building a sandcastle. Speeding guy received no ticket because "HE" was polite, the sandcastle guy got a ticket because he was not polite, and questioned the law? Or so some Think that may have happened. How can one even compare the two. Also stated, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Well then, I'm sure all of us here are well aware of all laws, no matter how obscure, especially the speeding guy. Here is just three examples that are "Current" laws in Florida. 1. A special law prohibits unmarried women from "parachuting" on Sunday, or she shall risk ARREST,FINE, and/or JAIL TIME. 2. It is illegal to SING in public while wearing a bathing suit. 3. Skateboarding without a license is illegal. These are current, and there are more. If YOU were approached with a possible ticket for breaking one of these "laws", would you not at least ask? (And how would? one undo a parachute jump). This thread has been beaten to death, and it all seems long on speculation, and short on fact. I'm returning to "Todays Finds" & "What is it?"

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have read ALL of the post on this thread, why?, by the time I got to the last one, I wondered "why" myself. ....

Why so like the rest of us you just wanted to pontificate and opinionate you just did yours in on sitting. [emoji41][emoji23][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have read ALL of the post on this thread, why?, by the time I got to the last one, I wondered "why" myself. So here is my take on all of this (Could not help myself). It started with a little or unknown law, that few if any would have been aware of. "Metal tools on the beach" because of sexual assaults? I don't know, go figure, but where it went from there became a debate based on pure speculation on what might have happened between the two parties, as not even one of us was there, nor any videos or any one being of witness, or any details in any articles. Some "assume" that "The Guy" was being argumentative and refused to comply, and others "assume" it was the officer that was unreasonable in his approach etc. One or both may very well have been "polite" or neither may have been. None of us here REALLY know, now do we. Now, some laws are common and very well known by all of us, or should be, and others are so obscure or new, that they are unknown by most, if not all. As these post went on they became more argumentative and even insulting to each other. Some even seemed to be a contradiction or even hypocritical, as one poster stood out more then others in that way. It would seem he is all about law & order and when confronted don't ask, just comply, and even though the guy at the beach may never have known of such a law, he should never have asked, again no matter how obscure or unknown. I CAN agree with that if only diffuse a situation, but if confronted with a "law" so unexpectedly "out there", I would like to at least ask just what that law IS that I am breaking, and not be given a ticket because I wanted a possible answer to a valid question. Now as to the one "poster" himself? by his OWN post, he stated how he has been pulled over a "few" times for speeding, one time for 100mph in a 55mph zone, the other in a boat doing 60mph in a "idle" zone, but received No ticket because he was "polite" to the officer. Polite or not, in his case, he should have received a ticket and a fine, one reason, they ARE well known and posted laws, and he made the choice to ignore them, a few times, as he said. The sand castle guy was unaware of breaking any law. The guy speeding endangered anyone and everyone around him, the sandcastle guy had a "metal" tool building a sandcastle. Speeding guy received no ticket because "HE" was polite, the sandcastle guy got a ticket because he was not polite, and questioned the law? Or so some Think that may have happened. How can one even compare the two. Also stated, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Well then, I'm sure all of us here are well aware of all laws, no matter how obscure, especially the speeding guy. Here is just three examples that are "Current" laws in Florida. 1. A special law prohibits unmarried women from "parachuting" on Sunday, or she shall risk ARREST,FINE, and/or JAIL TIME. 2. It is illegal to SING in public while wearing a bathing suit. 3. Skateboarding without a license is illegal. These are current, and there are more. If YOU were approached with a possible ticket for breaking one of these "laws", would you not at least ask? (And how would? one undo a parachute jump). This thread has been beaten to death, and it all seems long on speculation, and short on fact. I'm returning to "Todays Finds" & "What is it?"

:laughing7:....don't blame you, and so glad you made reference to "the speeding" events as I was hoping someone would. You see, what i didn't say in that post was that the event on the lake involved several boats from a bass fishing contest, some getting tickets others just getting warnings, which is another example of why I have made recent post pointing this issue out. Is it fair? Hell no! So do I understand why so many have anger/resentment toward authority? Hell yes! So there's more to those speeding examples then presented at face value. But consider this, society is getting less tolerant of these officer discretions as is evident nearly everyday in the media these days, and add to this that officers are now all-too aware of this growing resentment,......it just makes for a very bad recipe, officers feeling the same pressures on their ends as well, the first hint of any type of resentment being cause for backup. So the tolerance is gone on both sides, and with good reason. This is, and has been, my point all along.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, one final point/example here, it's both interesting and sad the way society is changing. Many years ago we use to metal detect in a lot of parks and school yards, that sort of thing, and as expected there was always curious little kids showing up in wonder of what we were doing. Many days we spent entertaining those kids, letting them use our detectors in search of planted pennies, etc. It was very enjoyable. However, in today's society you could very easily and very quickly have a couple of squad cars show up due to someone thinking you might be a suspected pervert or pedophile, etc. And if that call is made it won't be just one squad car that shows up, but rather two or three, maybe more. It's sad as heck that it has come to this, but it has, the growing pressures of our modern society being felt on both sides. Watch your backs out there folks, it is a very crazy place these days, indeed. :icon_thumleft:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, one final point/example here, it's both interesting and sad the way society is changing. Many years ago we use to metal detect in a lot of parks and school yards, that sort of thing, and as expected there was always curious little kids showing up in wonder of what we were doing. Many days we spent entertaining those kids, letting them use our detectors in search of planted pennies, etc. It was very enjoyable. However, in today's society you could very easily and very quickly have a couple of squad cars show up due to someone thinking you might be a suspected pervert or pedophile, etc. And if that call is made it won't be just one squad car that shows up, but rather two or three, maybe more. It's sad as heck that it has come to this, but it has, the growing pressures of our modern society being felt on both sides. Watch your backs out there folks, it is a very crazy place these days, indeed. :icon_thumleft:

Now that I agree with, when I hunt tot lots its almost exclusively at night, specifically to avoid suspicion around kids.
[Plus, they can be a PITA and slow things down quite a bit].
A couple years ago I was hunting a lot in late afternoon, a boy ambles up and says hey, you looking for treasure ? I sad yeah, something like that. He said you ever find anything with that thing ? I said yeah, mostly junk like foil and bottlecaps but alot of change and sometimes jewelry. Just at that moment I got a signal and wouldn't you know, just happened to be a nice silver ring under the chips.
The kid was blown away WOW ! CAN I TRY ?? I said no, takes a while to learn how to use it [really, I just didn't want to appear too friendly with the kid, I have no problem letting a kid use my machine under the right circumstances].
He said, well can I help ? I said I really don't need any help thanks, but feel free to watch if you want. He was happy with that and we proceeded to hunt with me giving him little tips and amazing him by correctly guessing almost everything I found.
So this lady walks up and says to the kid, hey do you know this guy ? He said well, no but I ,, SHUT UP ! she said, if you don't know him what the hell are you doing talking to him ? Well, I ,, SHUT UP ! she said, lets go right now and I'm going to give it to you when we get home !
She left in quite a huff, thankfully never said a direct word to me. I could see her point but felt she went way overboard. Even though I was again all alone she killed my detecting mood so I left.

Driving out of the school lot I noticed a printout sign tacked to a light post, said " ALERT - Be on the lookout for a man accosting children" and had a police drawn pic of a scruffy looking guy wearing a backwards baseball cap.
Well, I am am somewhat scruffy looking guy who wears a backwards baseball cap, so it clicked pretty quick. Thats why the lady was so freaked out. I'm pretty sure a cop would have been there in minutes had I not left.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, spruce yourself up a bit and turn your hat around! :laughing7: I wouldn't want to look like someone on a wanted poster either, whether I'm in a tot lot or anywhere else. :icon_thumright:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, spruce yourself up a bit and turn your hat around! :laughing7: I wouldn't want to look like someone on a wanted poster either, whether I'm in a tot lot or anywhere else. :icon_thumright:

Well, a wanted perv could have a tie & suit or a backwards baseball cap - Or be vice president of the USA [Biden]
I had a rough upbringing in Detroit, and still hang with a rough crowd, I look the part. Am also a hard working father, law abiding citizen, honest and trustworthy. I have had dozens of my kids friends stay the night and weekends over the years because their parents know I am about as safe and protective of kids as it gets, I even flat out legally adopted 2 of my friends kids when both him and the "mother" bailed out and went AWOL on them.

I am who I am, am comfortable in my own skin, and not about to change anything to alter any perceptions that I don't care about in the first place. On the + side, I detect in the hood with no problem alot easier than you clean cut types.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a sad state affairs that it has been allowed to come to this.....everyone having to watch their every move on both sides of the fence.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's just a sad state affairs that it has been allowed to come to this.....everyone having to watch their every move on both sides of the fence.

Big-scoop, to say this, is to implicitly be saying that this is a "norm" that we have to "watch our backs now", etc..... I disagree. This is a fluke. Like a shark attack story. To get the persona of "watching our backs" ("lest we risk a ticket like this man did") will simply become a self-fulfilling vicious loop.

Instead: Go out there like you own the place. Detect anywhere and everywhere (barring an obvious historic sensitive monument, or barring a true sign or law that *specifically* said something to the contrary). Dig with reckless abandon with metal tools over 2 ft. deep ON EVERY BEACH YOU COME TO.

No, this is nothing more than fluke. Even if the story had been a "man with a long-handled scoop", I would still detect everywhere like I own the place. EVEN ON THAT EXACT SAME BEACH.

99,999,999 people detected (and/or dug sand-castles) with zero problems. 1 person "has a problem" does not mean "oh no, we have to watch our back". In the same way if 1 person in the USA gets stung to death by bee swarm stings, does not mean "bee sting deaths are imminent".

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simple answer. This is what happens when PEACE OFFICERS become LAW enFORCEment officers.

FORCE being the key word.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kansas, your post #202, wow, had to look up "Pontificate", was not trying to be Pompous or anything else, sorry you took it that way. I'll try to keep my future post to one or two sentences if that would be ok with you. Sent from my laptop using Keyboard

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, a wanted perv could have a tie & suit or a backwards baseball cap - Or be vice president of the USA [Biden]
I had a rough upbringing in Detroit, and still hang with a rough crowd, I look the part. Am also a hard working father, law abiding citizen, honest and trustworthy. I have had dozens of my kids friends stay the night and weekends over the years because their parents know I am about as safe and protective of kids as it gets, I even flat out legally adopted 2 of my friends kids when both him and the "mother" bailed out and went AWOL on them.

I am who I am, am comfortable in my own skin, and not about to change anything to alter any perceptions that I don't care about in the first place. On the + side, I detect in the hood with no problem alot easier than you clean cut types.

All true, however, you don't want to have mothers "freak out" when they see you, or, have to deal with the police when you look out of place, you may want to change your appearance. For sure, we all need to dress for the occasion. I don't dress in full camo at a city park either for the same reason, But, I can almost guarantee you that I'll get more permissions door knocking if I'm neat, clean, and not looking like a gang member.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad it works for you Cuda, never am going to go knocking on doors looking for permission and alot of mothers hit on me rather than freak out, so I think I'll hold off on the makeover just a little while longer.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like metal hoes and deep holes are not the only danger on the beach

[h=1]Three beachgoers injured at Crandon Park when parks officer runs them over[/h]
A Miami-Dade County Parks and Recreation officer ran over three Crandon Park beachgoers with his county truck as they lay on the sand Friday evening, Miami-Dade police said.
The officer, whose name has not been released, was driving a Ford F-150 on the beach in Key Biscayne about 5:23 p.m. when he made a right turn and ran over the legs of two adults and a minor who were lounging in the sand, said Miami-Dade Police Detective Robin Pinkard. He told police he didn’t see the three people.
Pinkard said the driver had not been cited.
The victims — a man, a boy and a woman — sustained minor injuries. The woman was treated on the scene, and the two males were taken to a hospital.

Three beachgoers run over by Ford F-150 on Crandon Park | Miami Herald

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread