Man fined for using metal hoe on beach. Associated Press

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An Alabama youth minister was fined $25 for using a metal garden hoe to dig in the sand with his 7-year old son while on spring break in Panama City Beach Florida. The officer told them they could not use metal tools on the beach. The law was adopted after a rowdy 2015 spring break and was designed to protect against sexual assaults.

Bring a plastic scoop?

Tek

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out how banning metal tools at the beach is going to prevent sexual assaults? :dontknow: What, a rapist is not going to worry about breaking rape laws, but, is worried about a minor infraction banning metal tools? The logic there escapes me.:icon_scratch:

Don't know why but now I've got this picture in my head of wanted posters plastered all over the beaches showing a cartoon farmer in a field holding a hoe saying be on the lookout for this serial rapist! Hmmmmm..... Maybe I should move to Florida and run for office!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't STOP after he demanded the officer cite the law. He then REFUSED to fill in his holes. The guy was obviously an idiot. :skullflag:

On the other hand, the officer could've deescalated the whole situation before it even got started. Advised the guy of the new reg. and tell him he's only getting a warning. I think they don't teach how to escalate or de-escalate a situation at the academy anymore. Everyday we see situations where LEOs could've said something a little different and it would've led to everyone walking away all good. Sorry, but a big ego doesn't belong behind a shield.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out how banning metal tools at the beach is going to prevent sexual assaults? :dontknow: What, a rapist is not going to worry about breaking rape laws, but, is worried about a minor infraction banning metal tools? The logic there escapes me.:icon_scratch:

Much like no gun zones are supposed to prevent gun crimes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why have the rules changed when it comes to Cops? :dontknow:

When I was a kid I was taught that you respect your Mother, and the Cop on the corner - or you got your butt handed back to you by your Father, and not in the same condition you handed it over to him in. If the Sheriff's Deputy said "jump" you better start jumping or Momma would be after you with whatever she could pick up! :laughing7:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here in Florida ya have to be careful metal detecting - If you look threatening with a big sand scoop someone on the beach with a gun can rightfully shoot you and plead Stand Your Ground!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may get serious for a minute. The cop probably had to respond to the complaint. The pastor could have displayed a little more maturity and understanding . Cops have to respond to all kinds of stupid calls.I can only imagine what it must be like to wear the uniform and have to deal with the kind of nonsense they do.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Alabama youth minister was fined $25 for using a metal garden hoe to dig in the sand with his 7-year old son while on spring break in Panama City Beach Florida. The officer told them they could not use metal tools on the beach. The law was adopted after a rowdy 2015 spring break and was designed to protect against sexual assaults.

Bring a plastic scoop?

Tek

Bad joke time.

A youth pastor should not be on a sandy beach with a ho [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here in Florida ya have to be careful metal detecting - If you look threatening with a big sand scoop someone on the beach with a gun can rightfully shoot you and plead Stand Your Ground!

You're joking, right ? Or were you serious ? That an md'r with a long-handled imposing scoop can "rightfully be shot" by someone who subsequently says: "The md'r threatened me with that weapon". Right ? Ok, got any links to md'rs getting shot because their sand scoop resembled a weapon ? I'm sure it happens daily in FL after all. :hello:

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Well know the laws before going anywhere on the beach to know what is current before playing in the sand. Guess if they are going to enforce the laws, they should print them up and let people know about them-either at the beach or in the local papers.

Bring an extra cheeseburger along and give it to the cop, swap stories and let him be on his merry way (oh wait that may be misconstrued as a bribe)...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would of thanked him for his service to the community and responded with "I'll clean this up right away" by using my hoe.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of thanked him for his service to the community and responded with "I'll clean this up right away" by using my hoe.

So many jokes that could be made of this thread. I probably would get banned if I went in to any more details.
Trying to envision the dispatcher. .. 1adam 12 ... 1Adam 12...man on the beach with a hoe, proceed with caution subject should be considered armed and dangerous .

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So many jokes that could be made of this thread. I probably would get banned if I went in to any more details.
Trying to envision the dispatcher. .. 1adam 12 ... 1Adam 12...man on the beach with a hoe, proceed with caution subject should be considered armed and dangerous .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have stand your ground and castle law, but your going to need more than a "I felt threaten".

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just a matter of perception ... a metal hoe on the beach apparently appeared to someone, perhaps walking by, to be a misplaced application and in some way better suited to a vegetable garden rather than a tranquil beach setting where people are laying about. So, a cop just wants to diffuse the issue. Doesn't matter if there is a law on the books or not ... the easy solution is always (repeat always) to head over and stop whatever activity caused the red flag alert to go up.

You can be legally detecting an area, someone sees you from their window, next thing a cop is asking you to move on. If you argue the cop is just going to make up some excuse. It's dangerous, you're loitering, you look like a criminal, you are disturbing the peace ... whatever reason pops into his head at the moment. If you keep arguing you're going to be fined or jailed.

It may not be legal, fair, or constitutional but the world isn't fair. So, put the hoe away and deal with the city parks commissioner later to resolve the issue. Don't hassle the cop that is hassling you. He just wants to diffuse potential conflict and get on with his day. Give him grief and you're going to suffer, and for not good reason.

Jackalope

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tumblr_lplmuaoQJU1qldbh2o1_500.gif

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You're joking, right ? Or were you serious ? That an md'r with a long-handled imposing scoop can "rightfully be shot" by someone who subsequently says: "The md'r threatened me with that weapon". Right ? Ok, got any links to md'rs getting shot because their sand scoop resembled a weapon ? I'm sure it happens daily in FL after all. :hello:

People in Florida get shot for throwing popcorn in a movie theater and the shooter claims stand your ground...need I say more?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
We have stand your ground and castle law, but your going to need more than a "I felt threaten".

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

That's where the big metal scoop with LONG HANDLE comes in (it can also be used for sexual assault)...He was also swinging a big pole with a round thing at the end at me...I had to shoot...he was going to kill me and bury me in the sand (for other Detectorists to find).

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's where the big metal scoop with LONG HANDLE comes in (it can also be used for sexual assault)...He was also swinging a big pole with a round thing at the end at me...I had to shoot...he was going to kill me and bury me in the sand (for other Detectorists to find).

Only the ones who hunt over graves, of course......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions