Man fined for using metal hoe on beach. Associated Press

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An Alabama youth minister was fined $25 for using a metal garden hoe to dig in the sand with his 7-year old son while on spring break in Panama City Beach Florida. The officer told them they could not use metal tools on the beach. The law was adopted after a rowdy 2015 spring break and was designed to protect against sexual assaults.

Bring a plastic scoop?

Tek

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... "Police Chief Drew Whitman says Rylee was given opportunities to fill in the hole but refused. "

Hmmm, ok. What about the part of the story where .... they had "refused" (d/t inability) to give him any reason why he should . Ie.: to refuse the answer to "what law am I breaking" ? So this "refusal" was on each party's end.

But sure: The man, ... in the interest of "lip service" could have filled in the hole. And I suppose that in the interest of "lip service" could have put his "horrible metal tool" away. Sure.

I guess it's all in the way the reader imagines the "tone" and timeline. Perhaps their demand (which could have been a harsh tone) to fill in his hole, wasn't till way into what had otherwise been a casual conversation ? Again, it doesn't say either way. I can imagine either scenario, having been in both sides of the equation myself in the past :)

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember this is not the politics forum so please be polite in replies per our rules...Thanks

Of course.
TS has repeatedly said/insinuated/implied and flat out stated that the guy was belligerent and in the officers face. There is no evidence of this whatsoever, it is all in his imagination, are posters allowed to spew cheap innuendo and never be called out because we are such polite gentlemen ?
There are forums where refusing to provide any evidence for a contention is a bannable offense, I realize this isn't one of them but really, people should expect to get called out [in a civil fashion, of course] if they continue to prattle on and on with unsupported innuendo.

Multiple articles repeat same theme, police were not going to give him a ticket but he refused multiple times to fill hole in, instead demanding they show him the law, he got just what he was asking for. "Police Chief Drew Whitman says Rylee was given opportunities to fill in the hole but refused. "

Don't blame him, if his request for a cite was refused.
If officers are given the authority to hand out citations, they ought to be prepared to explain exactly what for. Its called "professionalism" of these that are supposed to "protect and serve".
Did they actually break out a tape measure and confirm the hole was over 24" ? What was the citation for, the hole, the metal tool, both ? I personally have not seen enough info to make an informed conclusion, glad you have.
Cop says do it, you automatically do it, case closed !

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course.
TS has repeatedly said/insinuated/implied and flat out stated that the guy was belligerent and in the officers face. There is no evidence of this whatsoever, it is all in his imagination, are posters allowed to spew cheap innuendo and never be called out because we are such polite gentlemen ?
There are forums where refusing to provide any evidence for a contention is a bannable offense, I realize this isn't one of them but really, people should expect to get called out [in a civil fashion, of course] if they continue to prattle on and on with unsupported innuendo.

If officers are given the authority to hand out citations, they ought to be prepared to explain exactly what for. Its called "professionalism" of these that are supposed to "protect and serve".
Did they actually break out a tape measure and confirm the hole was over 24" ? What was the citation for, the hole, the metal tool, both ? I personally have not seen enough info to make an informed conclusion, glad you have.

People that dislike the police, and immediately assume the police are wrong, heavy handed, or "dictators," have usually broken the law and had their hands cuffed. Not always - but 90% of the time. Did a police officer go off on you or your girlfriend, your Mom? Is your Ex a LEO? CASE CLOSED :laughing7:

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course.

As you stated, this forum isn't one of them. Per our rules, all members are to be treated with respect in the replies.

Man's own words "My big mistake was asking the ordinance number & asking to see the ordinance." "
One officer said, if I'd just cover the castle, I wouldn't get a ticket but if I must inquire or see the ordinance, I will receive a ticket." anyone with half a brain, especially an adult should know you don't argue with police, do what they say then if you disagree get a lawyer, that is what they are for. If your ordered to disperse are you going to argue to see the ordinance that gives them the right to order people to disperse?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As stated, this forum isn't one of them. Per our rules, all members are to be treated with respect in the replies.

. Did a police officer go off on you or your boyfriend/girlfriend, your Mom? Is your Ex a LEO? CASE CLOSED
laughing7.gif
Man's own words "My big mistake was asking the ordinance number & asking to see the ordinance." "
One officer said, if I'd just cover the castle, I wouldn't get a ticket but if I must inquire or see the ordinance, I will receive a ticket." anyone with half a brain, especially an adult should know you don't argue with police, do what they say then if you disagree get a lawyer, that is what they are for. If your ordered to disperse are you going to argue to see the ordinance that gives them the right to order people to disperse?

Already addressed that in post #68, would prefer [unlike some people] not to keep repeating myself ad nauseum.
A BLM riot does not compare to a day at the beach with father & son, sorry. No urgency whatsoever, officers handing out fines for recent, obscure ordinances in a relaxed patrol setting should be prepared to explain them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I note that someone just mockingly and condescendingly said something about my "boyfriend/girlfriend, your Mom" with no comment from you.
This is talk that obviously would get teeth busted out in real life - And right, I would prefer not to see crap like that here, so I request that you enforce forum decorum equally. What I said does not even remotely compare to provoking, juvenile banter like that - And no, notice that I am not going to take the bait.

Already addressed that in post #68, would prefer [unlike some people] not to keep repeating myself ad nauseum.
A BLM riot does not compare to a day at the beach with father & son, sorry. No urgency whatsoever, officers handing out fines for recent, obscure ordinances in a relaxed patrol setting should be prepared to explain them.

First I have not read every post in thread, mods don't have time to read every post on TreasureNet, I read hundreds of them a day as it is.

I see Terry asked if

If you feel your attacked then report it, that does not change my polite reply to you to please remember we are not in the politics forum and keep posts polite.

Per our rules...

"Posts should be suitable for all ages, on topic, concise, and courteous.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

I enforce the rules equally and there are many here who can attest to that fact, I have given timeouts to friends and even a hunting partner for breaking rules after warning.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to see the father's arrest record. Just sayin'. :laughing7:

Is that a joke? I've read the entire thread and didn't see that the father/pastor had an arrest record. Pls direct me to that if you would.
(a misdemeanor citation is not an arrest if that was what you are saying).

Warnberg

Jan 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People in Florida get shot for throwing popcorn in a movie theater and the shooter claims stand your ground...need I say more?

Not the entire story, might try something a little more substantial then that...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I removed the remark that offended you, please keep all political comments out of threads not in our politics forum, that includes "snowflake" comment, save them for out politics forum.

Thank you..[emoji3]

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... and immediately assume the police are wrong....

We're all reading into it. The "assume" finger points both ways here. The story simply doesn't say.

Man's own words "My big mistake was asking the ordinance number & asking to see the ordinance."

I took his usage of "mistake" to be tongue in cheek. Like if you got punched in the mouth for asking someone what time it was: You might say "my mistake was to have asked the guy what time it was".

.... "One officer said, if I'd just cover the castle, I wouldn't get a ticket but if I must inquire or see the ordinance, I will receive a ticket."...

In my case (alluded to earlier) this is EXACTLY what offer was made to me, when I went to talk to the officer's superior. After hearing of my plight, he said he could open formal investigation. But to do so, he'd have to issue us a parking ticket for parking on a gravel shoulder (or whatever the heck supposed offense we'd done). And the whole conversation was civil, nice, normal tone, etc.....

NOT trying to say that "officer combativeness" was the case here. (it could have been neither side). But just saying that the offer of "You'll get a ticket unless you do such & such" can be a non-combative statement.

.... If your ordered to disperse are you going to argue to see the ordinance that gives them the right to order people to disperse?

I would agree with "lip-service". And yes, the man could have "jumped" when told to jump. But let's change the illustration a bit: An officer approaches TH'r the park, while you and your sun are sitting on a park bench. He hands you a Green shirt, and says that the blue shirt your wearing violates the law. But if you change shirts right now and put on the green one he's handing you, he won't write you a ticket. Ok, then what ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Cops are not your friend!! They give ZERO ****s about you! ...

Well, let's grant them a little respect for a hard job they have to do. Most *do* care and are nice. And in this case, it could be that NEITHER side was unfriendly. I mean, gee, there *was* a law after all about the type sand tool you could have, and the size hole you could dig. It was just that the man had never HEARD of such a thing. It is rather odd after all. Since when haven't kids dug holes on the beach with (gasp) shovels ?

So the cop here was merely doing his job (albeit a bit of a waste of time, since the intent of the law was probably never such usages). And the man was merely questioning "how can this be ?"

Thus let's not turn this into a cop bashing thread.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Close the thread, it is a family forum.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - I will note who started with "snowflakes" Post #45, and sure I don't expect you would or could read every post here ,,, But maybe for a thread you are actively engaged in with multiple posts, might be worth the effort.
I have no problem leaving out politics, religion or sexuality - I only asked for some bare proof of a direct contention, none was supplied so now it is safe to assume there is none. We cannot really get to the root of any issue when fact vs fiction is not weeded out.

Terry's snowflake comment was directed at the man fined, your's was directed at Terry.

I am actively involved in many threads both as member and mod but I don't read every post in many threads as threads are already long when I become involved. Mods enforce the rules when we find them being broken no matter when and where we become involved.

FYI to all, there is no "he did it first or he started it" when it comes to our rules all need to post by our rules.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of specualtion about this and that is all.7 pags here on 4 very short paragraphs.
The article was vague to say the least and the man was correct in being cited especially since "Rylee was given opportunities to fill in the hole but refused."

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... "Rylee was given opportunities to fill in the hole but refused."

Well, sure, and that was after no one could tell him what law required him to do so. NOT saying "lip service" isn't sometimes the best way out, but ... just saying ... look at it form the fellow's perspective. The "refusal" was working both ways here.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey gang, there was a candid camera gag years ago, where Peter Funt dressed up like a cop. And stops joggers and walkers on a recreation jogging trail. Funt informs them that they've "broken the speed limit", because they were jogging or walking too fast.

And in EACH case, the person (unaware of the stunt), questions it. Nothing "in your face", but ... just sayin' .... none of them say "yes sir, I'm sorry sir, I'll stop jogging this instant sir". Instead, they show wide-eyed dis-belief, disputing such a law, etc... All in a nice, albeit confused, tone.

And there was even a mock sign (that the candid camera crew had planted there) saying the jog speed was such & such. Funt informs them that they were clocked at such & such speed, and he was going to have to give them a ticket, blah blah.

I sort of see a similarity with this sand-castle story. I can almost imagine the guy saying "ok, am I on candid camera?"

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, sure, and that was after no one could tell him what law required him to do so. NOT saying "lip service" isn't sometimes the best way out, but ... just saying ... look at it form the fellow's perspective. The "refusal" was working both ways here.

Except one refusal got fined a small amount. Probably be dismissed in court anyways and a hassle for a vacation.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey gang, there was a candid camera gag years ago, where Peter Funt dressed up like a cop. And stops joggers and walkers on a recreation jogging trail. Funt informs them that they've "broken the speed limit", because they were jogging or walking too fast.

And in EACH case, the person (unaware of the stunt), questions it. Nothing "in your face", but ... just sayin' .... none of them say "yes sir, I'm sorry sir, I'll stop jogging this instant sir". Instead, they show wide-eyed dis-belief, disputing such a law, etc... All in a nice, albeit confused, tone.

And there was even a mock sign (that the candid camera crew had planted there) saying the jog speed was such & such. Funt informs them that they were clocked at such & such speed, and he was going to have to give them a ticket, blah blah.

I sort of see a similarity with this sand-castle story. I can almost imagine the guy saying "ok, am I on candid camera?"

Anything past the 60s Candid Camera was scripted (and maybe all the old stuff was too for all I know). In today's world, presenting yourself as a cop, even as a gag, can get you arrested for impersonation. The world has changed (thank the spit lawyers).

But I get what you are sayin.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Close the thread, it is a family forum.

Agree. Wont happen tho while a mod is in the argument.

I do regret resuscitating the thread. (post #40)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread