Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally made it away from the Midwest and will be in Florida for a couple more weeks.
Going to be in Destin soon and never been beach detecting and will be trying out the stock beach mode and maybe looking at some programs in Clive's book also for gold
I've got all three coils and I'm thinking the 17 or 11.
Any quick pointers for an old relic hunter?
BT

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
About the best advice I can give is do the time and have fun!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you find anything you think is gold, send it to me and I'll check it

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , I guess I'm all set to get my toes in the sand ;-)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh and trust me, wear sunscreen

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17" coil...nice on the beach.. :thumbsup:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally made it away from the Midwest and will be in Florida for a couple more weeks.
Going to be in Destin soon and never been beach detecting and will be trying out the stock beach mode and maybe looking at some programs in Clive's book also for gold
I've got all three coils and I'm thinking the 17 or 11.
Any quick pointers for an old relic hunter?
BT

It's important to believe that the gold and silver really is there. Remember one gold ring will make your day! It can come quickly or it might take hours. I like to "shop" when the beach gets crowded. "Shopping" is simply walking around and looking to see how much and what kind of jewelry is being worn by the sun bathers. This is a real confidence builder and may put you on a hot spot next time you go out! Have fun! Tt

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22126.gif

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
17" coil...nice on the beach.. :thumbsup:

Swing that 17 inch here in Florida now that it's getting hot and you'll last a few hours unless you get a harness. That coil is great but it's definitely a beast! LOL

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's important to believe that the gold and silver really is there. Remember one gold ring will make your day! It can come quickly or it might take hours. I like to "shop" when the beach gets crowded. "Shopping" is simply walking around and looking to see how much and what kind of jewelry is being worn by the sun bathers. This is a real confidence builder and may put you on a hot spot next time you go out! Have fun! Tt
You think like I do...I always say I only need to find one gold to make my day....when I start thinking theres nothing where Im hunting, I just take a look at the "depositors" around me and my head is back in the game.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and let us know how you do. :icon_thumright:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing that 17 inch here in Florida now that it's getting hot and you'll last a few hours unless you get a harness. That coil is great but it's definitely a beast! LOL

Yep, it's a heavy bugger for sure Garry....I found I was getting a bit more depth and coverage....but, HEAVY, yes indeed..LOL..:thumbsup:

Good luck this season, I'm doing some land fishing
around Savannah right now...coin/relic, but on a beach
again soon...:occasion14:

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the 17" for coverage, but the best I've made it so far is 3 hours on a hunt with it - using the Detecting Buddy sling. But then I'm old and fuggly.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the 17" for coverage, but the best I've made it so far is 3 hours on a hunt with it - using the Detecting Buddy sling. But then I'm old and fuggly.

yep, 3-4 is max., but the territory you're covering is awesome, making it equal to a 5 hr. hunt,, more or less...:thumbsup:

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Soggy Foggy SW WA -Enjoy the sun and sand! HH and good luck on the Gold!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you and please post your next beach finds so we can enjoy it too. ;)

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest multiple strategies, using the small coil at entrances and heavy traffic paths, and at the high tide line. The stock coil I would use at the "blanket line/chair line", and the big coil for open beach and at the low tide line. I would definitely use "recovery deep" mode with the 17 inch coil (and probably "low trash" also). Pushed manual gain settings will of course give you more depth that auto plus in most cases.

I would be wary of submerging the control box unless you are really comfortable with the seals. At the end of each day, I would flood the shaft well from the top and open and close the locking mechanism to remove all the sand so you don't lock up.

As you move along the beach you may hit EMI areas that require you to do a noise cancel frequently.

If you are unlucky and have sanded in conditions, reverse hunting the wet sand with a nearly open search screen can at least give you some potential targets. Another alternative would be to use the big coil in the dry sand - that will definitely give you targets!

Happy Hunting!

Charles

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think like I do...I always say I only need to find one gold to make my day....when I start thinking theres nothing where Im hunting, I just take a look at the "depositors" around me and my head is back in the game.

I always look at people's hands as they head out into the surf to see if they are wearing rings. I'm a big fan of long swell periods. Anything over 14 seconds can strip a tourist of their swimsuit AND jewelry. :laughing7:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and be sure to post some rings and things...........belly button would be nice, but found rings are good too! :laughing7: :laughing7:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got my 3030 3 weeks before leaving Florida and loved every minute beach hunting w the 17" coil. Coming from a background of long hrs of surf hunting w the Excal, had no problem swinging the 17" for 5 hrs on dry sand but was done after 7 hrs. I'll post my last beach finds shortly, including a rare (to me) sterling 24" necklace...I hardly ever find necklaces. You'll have a blast hitting the beach and bring a good sand scoop or water scoop and you're going to find more dimes and quarters at 12-15" than you'll want to dig. It is a little tricky locating targets w the 17" coil and I have found the bigger the scoop the better for target recovery. Don't get discouraged by all the foil/paper tops at 12:02...just when you're about to quit digging them when a small gold and diamond band pops-up at 12:02 - Just like it happened to me last month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread