Sanded in question

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Only you can answer that question, Every beach is different, from tides to weather (And the list goes on) can affect each differently, and they can change daily. For me, on the beach's I hunt, I have to get out in the water and find low spots or areas where the sand has moved. Sometimes I never find them, sometimes I do. Research and Recon can makes all the difference.

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only you can answer that question, Every beach is different, from tides to weather (And the list goes on) can affect each differently, and they can change daily. For me, on the beach's I hunt, I have to get out in the water and find low spots or areas where the sand has moved. Sometimes I never find them, sometimes I do. Research and Recon can makes all the difference.

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

We have a winner! :notworthy:

OP
OP
W

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply obn and Terry. I guess I will go and buy some chest waders and find out.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be VERY Careful with Chest Waders. Many people drown when chest waders fill with water and drown them. All it takes is a little slip and you have waders full of water pulling you down. Wear a life vest under the waders and practice getting the waders off before going in the water.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Indian Steve. If you are going to make a purchase anyway, purchase a wet suit instead of waders. One slip or a step into an unseen hole could have very bad results.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We lived right on a Trout stream in the Blue Ridge Mountains about 30 years ago. It was only 20 feet wide and in most places waist deep or less. The bottom was slick rocks. I had hours of fun watching trout fishermen slipping, sliding and falling over in the water. It was amazing how quick the waders would fill and then downstream they would go. I never had to fish anyone out but came close to jumping in a couple of times.

OP
OP
W

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the heads up regarding the dangers of waders guys.

I'm Hoping

Feb 19, 2017
Ft.Myers, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be VERY Careful with Chest Waders. Many people drown when chest waders fill with water and drown them. All it takes is a little slip and you have waders full of water pulling you down. Wear a life vest under the waders and practice getting the waders off before going in the water.

My uncle almost drowned because of his chest waders while hunting ducks.... he got out of his and saved his life while his best friend died because of his chest waders becoming swamped.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is spot on. The only thing i might add is to try to find the firmest sections of bottom you can locate. There will generally be some areas of the beach that are firmer, not as soft, these locations, if you can find them, have a better chance of supporting heavier/denser items like gold rings, etc. You'll usually know the minute you try to take a scoop full of sand, the scoop penetrating the sand very easily and practically nothing left in it when you bring it to the surface. You can also generally tell by how soft the sand is under your feet. What you want to try to locate are those areas of the bottom that require some pressure to sink your scoop, heavy pieces of crushed shell and perhaps some balls of clay in your scoop after you shake it out, that sort of thing.

Ditto on the wader warnings.....all it takes is one rouge wave and you're in real trouble really quick. Go with a wetsuit.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My experience is that the under-sea sand is JUST as susceptible to erosion and fill-in as the inter-tidal zone. Thus JUST as sand dunes come and go from the inter-tidal zone, so too is the underwater sand just as unpredictable . At least on the top-side inter-tidal zone, you can look 200 yards up or down the beach, and simply SEE where the low spots might be. You DON'T have that liberty when underwater. Even if you're snorkeling or scuba, it's STILL difficult to see more than 30 ft. or whatever. Thus to find the firm/eroded zones underwater, is going to be a real chore.

So unless there's been storms combined with seas/swells/tides, I just go land hunting, instead of beach hunting :)

OP
OP
W

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks big scoop for the word of wisdom, the only reason I was thinking waders over a wetsuit is up here in Nova Scotia Canada, the water is cold even in July, it takes a brave man or woman to go for a swim, and I figured at least with waders I can put my thermals on underneath if needed.

OP
OP
W

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
My experience is that the under-sea sand is JUST as susceptible to erosion and fill-in as the inter-tidal zone. Thus JUST as sand dunes come and go from the inter-tidal zone, so too is the underwater sand just as unpredictable . At least on the top-side inter-tidal zone, you can look 200 yards up or down the beach, and simply SEE where the low spots might be. You DON'T have that liberty when underwater. Even if you're snorkeling or scuba, it's STILL difficult to see more than 30 ft. or whatever. Thus to find the firm/eroded zones underwater, is going to be a real chore.

So unless there's been storms combined with seas/swells/tides, I just go land hunting, instead of beach hunting :)

Thanks Tom. I can't figure it out, we have had some good nor'easters about 5 weeks ago, and I got to the beach at the last hour of the storm, and boy was it rough, the waves were up off the beach and onto the road but all it seemed to do is bring in another foot of sand.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks big scoop for the word of wisdom, the only reason I was thinking waders over a wetsuit is up here in Nova Scotia Canada, the water is cold even in July, it takes a brave man or woman to go for a swim, and I figured at least with waders I can put my thermals on underneath if needed.

Its all about the neoprene Wiganer. Your further north than me but I think a 3mm wetsuit would be just fine. Its what I use in NY waters during the winter. Suite/gloves/boots all 3mm and I'm actually sweating when I'm done. I'm sure others closer to your local will chime in but I would think 3mm neoprene should suffice.

Take a quick search on Amazon and I'm sure you will find something that won't kill the budget and work for you.

-TwoYewts

Last edited:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My uncle almost drowned because of his chest waders while hunting ducks.... he got out of his and saved his life while his best friend died because of his chest waders becoming swamped.

Sorry to hear about your uncle's friend I'm Hoping. I fortunately have not had anyone close die because of waders getting filled; but, know of quite a few local fisherman that have stories about having to fish out others because they step in a hole or don't realize the tide is coming in and a rogue wave gets them in trouble. Scary stuff for both the person in trouble and those witnessing/helping.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy all of my wetsuits used on ebay, generally at bargain prices. However, just be aware that sizes can vary greatly from one manufacture to the next.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you must wear waders, try to slow down any water infiltration that may occur. Like strap a tight bungee cord snugly around your chest or something.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about the neoprene Wiganer. Your further north than me but I think a 3mm wetsuit would be just fine. Its what I use in NY waters during the winter. Suite/gloves/boots all 3mm and I'm actually sweating when I'm done. I'm sure others closer to your local will chime in but I would think 3mm neoprene should suffice.

Take a quick search on Amazon and I'm sure you will find something that won't kill the budget and work for you.

-TwoYewts

3mm? Jeeeez, I use 5mm and sometimes wish I had 7mm! I guess I'm a wuss when it comes to cold. :dontknow: I know a couple of guys who use waders. The carry a nice sharp dive knife on their belt though.......just in case.

OP
OP
W

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
3mm? Jeeeez, I use 5mm and sometimes wish I had 7mm! I guess I'm a wuss when it comes to cold. :dontknow: I know a couple of guys who use waders. The carry a nice sharp dive knife on their belt though.......just in case.

I found a couple of videos on YouTube about waders safety, and they show you a how to turn your waders into a flotation device. I think the videos were Australian, if you go looking for them.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use waders...and while I agree with every statement about their potential dangers, they can be safe when used correctly. Tt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread