Sharks

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
So not too long ago I was snorkle detecting a little less then shoulder deep. When I popped my head out of the water I saw about 20 or 30 feet away what looked to be shark fins...I thought I was just imagining it as I am always on lookout and then nope all of a sudden I see them again a bit closer so I was like "oh hell nah"....This is when I saw the 2 shadows which looked to be about 7 or 8 feet each Bull Sharks. They came within like 15 feet of me but could care less and kept on swimming. So I look in their direction and the water is packed with people. I was not about to yell shark and create a panic as the sharks seemed to be doing their own thing and could care less. But ever since then I had been very hesitant to go back out that deep. I found it crazy that these 2 huge sharks were swimming through so many people sunbathing and no one at all even noticed a thing!

So I guess this kind of thing happens way more then people realize even myself. Now even though no one including myself was messed with it just a little unsettling knowing they are there. Also seeing the way they moved there is little chance of even seeing what's coming. I even see one of my buddies detecting neck deep in the middle of the night like WHAT!! But he is still alive and a very avid detectorist so I guess all is good. Perhaps he will chime in here.

Anyone else have shark encounters?

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was water detecting once at sunset, wading in waist deep water and dragging my scoop behind me. Suddenly I thought I felt something blast between my legs. Scared the heck out of me, but I wasn't sure if it was just the waves or my mind, or something else. So I continued my detecting... bam again it happens... seems maybe more real this time but still sort of unsure. I keep hunting... BAM AGAIN... this time I clearly felt something bump my leg pretty hard.

So... I lifted my shiny stainless scoop out of the water and put it on my shoulder and continued hunting. No more bumps.

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not no, but hell no. You wouldn't find me detecting in the water unless I had a shark cage and an underwater bazooka.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt the sea ... I'm waiting to see which I'll encounter first, a shark or a gold ring with a diamond. I'm banking on the ring.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my road trip - when I stopped in NJ - glad I was not in more shark filled waters - I have diabetes - have no feeling in my feet
I was fanning with my dive boot on some deep targets - baby toe's nail cut into the toe next to it - I did not know it
when I got to the vehicle and pulled my boot off - was full of bloody water - would have brought them in for miles probably
if I was hunting in Fla.

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When at the Outer Banks I rented a airplane and flew out over the beach and saw MANY sharks in with the swimmers and thought What the :censored:?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_1648.JPG

From the OCRegister:

Sharks like hot spots.

The ocean is changing.

Chris Lowe, director of the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach, has been studying the recent shift in great white behavior in Southern California. He and others have seen groups of great whites hanging out close to shore in areas he describes as “hot spots” in places like Santa Monica, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, Surfside in Seal Beach, San Onofre and, most recently, Long Beach near Alamitos Bay.

“We should be worried, to an extent,” Lowe said. “But we should also be encouraged.”

Indeed, the uptick in shark sightings isn’t all bad. Over the past five decades progress has been made in protecting some marine species, he said. Great white sharks have been protected for decades against fishing, and their food sources – seals and sea lions – have been protected as well. That’s allowed all three populations to grow.

The part that’s unknown, Lowe said, is the extent to which global climate change is affecting marine animals in and near Southern California.

“Ocean temperatures are rising, causing them to live in places they’ve never lived before,” he said. “Populations are coming back. And ocean conditions may be pushing them to new places.”

Lowe saw that shift during the El Nino-dominated winter of 2014 and ’15, with a group of juvenile sharks that decided to make Surfside in Huntington Beach their year-round home. Though the sharks always have spent some time in local waters, their previous pattern was to leave the area when the water turned cool in October and November. But during that dry, warm winter, the ocean didn’t cool as much as normal and the sharks stuck around.

That held last year, too, which wasn’t so dry and wasn’t so warm.

“They didn’t migrate south in the winter, which they usually did,” Lowe said. He added that if the water temperature patterns don’t return, they “might start residing here.”

Another factor is rising sea-levels – which might be pushing great whites closer to local shores.

“There are a lot of unknowns,” Lowe said. “That’s the scary part.”

Juvenile great whites are known to hug the coast because they like to eat sting rays and other small fish. What’s unclear is why the bigger sharks have been coming so close to shore recently.

The shark that bit Corona triathlete Maria Korcsmaros in Newport Beach last Memorial Day was thought to be about 10-foot. An estimated 8-foot shark was caught from shore in Sunset Beach a few months ago, something unheard of by longtime lifeguards.

Lowe’s team has tagged sharks from Ventura to San Onofre, and they’ve set hundreds of beacons along the coast to try and track sharks’ migratory behavior.

They’ve found that the sharks like to hang out in “hot spots.” Juveniles have long been attracted to San Onofre. From 2005 — 2009, baby sharks liked an area in the Santa Monica Bay. Then, a few years ago, the hot spot shifted to Manhattan and Hermosa. In recent years it was Surfside to Sunset and, over the past few months, there’s been a group near Belmont Shore.

“One of the things we’ve seen the past 10 years, there’s shifts in how animals are using the hot spots,” he said. “Some have migrated to Baja and come back.

“We’re slowly piecing together their movement.”

There might be a “hot spot” coming to a beach near you.

On Sunday, photographer Matt Larmand captured images of a group of sharks close to shore right off Capo Beach in Dana Point. Doheny State Beach had an advisory south of the campgrounds after several shark sightings, and there was another shark sighting at Trestles, where many surfers ignored a beach closure in place after the attack to ride decent-sized waves.

The focus this summer is to find out what makes “hot spots” appealing, and Lowe also hopes to put camera-equipped “smart tags” on dorsal fins. The goal is to get some insight into what the sharks are eating and how they interact with other sharks.

Once the sharks find a beach they like, the tend to stay about 40 days. Then they’ll disappear for a while, before showing up at another hot spot.

Then, as they get older, they hop between the hot spots, sometimes in just a few hours.

“It’s kind of like watching kids mature. When they are toddlers, they can’t travel far. Then they can move very quickly, like kids on a bike,” Lowe said.

“As they get bigger, they start to expanding their world.”

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even want to feed the goldfish now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born and raised in Florida, spent many many many hours in the water on Florida beaches, I really don't worry about sharks, but I also am smart enough to not go wading during prime feeding times either. Sharks like to feed at dusk and dawn.

As extra precaution I hunt with people slower than me in the water.:tongue3:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born and raised in Florida, spent many many many hours in the water on Florida beaches, I really don't worry about sharks, but I also am smart enough to not go wading during prime feeding times either. Sharks like to feed at dusk and dawn.

As extra precaution I hunt with people slower than me in the water.:tongue3:

lol

" hey chum... how ya doing back there... finding anything ? "

" hey why do you keep calling me "chum". ?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
About 5 years ago I had the opportunity to hunt 4 beaches in Florida. A friend of mine who has since passed away, had timeshares in 3 different condo's for 3 weeks in Florida and his wife didn't want to go. So he put it on another forum asking for people to join him but pay for their own food. I jumped at the chance. First beach Daytona.

I am out snorkeling in front of the condo when I spot 5 or 6 black tipped sharks. I am snorkeling, detecting and watching them. After a while I hear someone screaming on the beach. I stand up and a guy in shorts and a tee shirt is yelling at me to get out of the water. I ask why? He says get out now. I again ask why? He said someone is going to jail! Intrigued, I get out to find out the problem. He told me to sit in a 4 wheeler. I said are you a cop? He says yes. I said show me some ID. He said it was in a lifeguard station. I said why did I have to get out. He said there were sharks out there. I said I know I was watching them. I had drifted in front of a public beach and I didn't realize it. He didn't have ID so I said I was going back to my condo and going back into the water, which I did.

A while later I felt a tap on my shoulder. I stood up and a guy pointed to two uniformed officers on the beach. The motioned for me to come in. I did. The young one said, I heard you gave a lifeguard a hard time. I said no, he gave me one. Told him I was visiting from Michigan and I had no idea who he was and he claimed he was a cop. I told him that he had no ID so I came back to my condo. The young one said well he might be a cop. I smiled knowing he was also full of it. I told them I have swam with sharks before in Okinawa where I learned to dive and they don't bother me. The Sgt was polite and said, let me have your information so we can notify your next of kin. We both laughed. I gave him my information and he told me to stay in the water in fronot of my condo and everything will be just fine. We talked some more and I told him my background and the lifeguard was impersonating a peace officer. They left and I went back in. No problems.

Fast forward to that evening. I am up past my waist detecting at dusk. Can't see much at all. Some kind of fish jumped out of the water and hit me in the shoulder and flopped back in. I was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane it scared me so bad. I got out FAST!

I can laugh now but I don't know if I have ever been scared that much even as a cop with my gun drawn ready to shoot someone who was shooting a gun out of a moving car. Story for another time and place.

No I have swam with sharks, beautiful creatures. Sea snakes, not so much.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I do alot of crazy :censored: in my life. Often the total danger is not realized until afterwards. I only have one shark story that's not fishing and catching them.

My first month as a green FL resident back in the early 2000's. Snorkeling/freediving off the beach in Naples I went tooling around into 15 to 20 ft of very clear water about 100 yards or more out... could barely see the palm tops if I propelled myself up high enough..

Out of nowhere a large school of fairly large baitfish envelops me, not touching me and swimming around past me so fast I could feel the water churn around my body. I thought it was very cool. Half a minute or longer they were back and it happened again from behind me that time. Totally cool! Awesome! Yep, they came back multiple times, just buzzing my body with millions of fins. Each occurrence had less time between them and I was having the time of my life vertically suspendedand enjoying life... until I saw a larger-than-man size shark swim within 4 feet mouth wide open in hot pursuit!

I was so scared I just started swiming away as fast as I could into the Gulf - the wrong way! I nearly got lost trying to determine the direction of land and the rip current was picking up making it difficult to swim towards land. I eventually made it back to shore over a mile south of where I started. I had no real idea what I had experienced at that point.

The following Monday I laughingly tell a FL born co-worker about it and also how bad I hated the rip current. Well he's not laughing. Guess I was within 4 feet of accidentally getting eaten by being in the center of a feeding. Tells me if I'd have been in the sharks path as it cut the school I'd have never made it out alive. THEN IT SUNK INTO MY HEAD!

We don't swim with the fishes anymore.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Casper, Here is one of a shark after he went for a break from his post only to realize when he got back OBN had been there and took the treasure he was protecting.

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm never in the water at night. I feel safe enough during the day , up to my neck or snorkeling , but you'll never catch me in the water in the dark !

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I swam the beach in the FL Keys at night once. The GF would not get in and watched from the shore. I was chasing horseshoe crabs and playing in the glowing water from the plankton. She screams shark! From chest deep I nearly walked on water when I saw the dark mass slowly swim within 8 feet of me - stalking me closer and closer. Turned out to be a harmless manatee. :tongue3:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I water hunt Volusia county beaches almost every day. A couple of years ago a large dark shadow approached me in about chest deep water about mid-day. I recall holding my coil out to block it and lost my footing and fell backwards. I made this weird beta-male sound as I cried out "Noooooooo!" Glad nobody was around to see that pathetic display. :laughing7:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
BLACK TIPS ARE USUALLY TERRITORIAL - I HAD ONE FOLLOW ME FOR A AWHILE TILL I PULLED HIM TO FAR OFF HIS REEF AND HE TURNED BACK - I HAVE A PIC OF HIM SOMEWHERE (FLIPED ONTO MY BACK AND SHOT PHOTO OF HIM BOUT 5 YRDS BEHIND ME
ALSO WAS SWIMMING/ SNORKELING IN FLA. AND HAD 3 10 FT BULLS GO RIGHT UNDER ME - I COULD HAVE TOUCHED THEM
I JUST STOPPED KICKING AND MOVING MY HANDS AND LET THEM SWIM ON BY
I USED TO HUNT CT. WATERS FOR LIKE 10YRS WITH MY PI - GOT MANY DOWN THERE TO BUY PIs CAUSE I WAS PULLING GOLD IN THE 2 FT
RANGE WITH IT - NEVER HEARD OF AN ATTACK DOWN THERE

In Connecticut, the danger of being attacked is NOT due to sharks, unless that's the name of a new street gang. There is a serious danger of being attacked, however, thanks to Gov. Malloys "Second Chance Society".
Stay safe out there.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread