TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Noaa Tide Predictions. They are spot on for SoCal.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...your question has taught me more about tides than I ever knew. I never realized how much different tides could be at points only a few miles away. I now use the NOAA tide predicter but I've found that they are accurate only at the exact location being monitored.

Here is an example: Three monitoring stations approximately 3 mile apart differ on tide times by up to 15 minutes. In addition two monitoring locations within 1 mile of each other (one ocean side the other bay side) differ by 30 minutes.

For accuracy you need to always use the closest NOAA monitoring station. As you change locations you should change monitor station information as well.

Anyway, you're right...the online tide charts can be way off! Thanks for asking...now I know. :) Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Golden oaks

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Yes T-toes there is a difference. We live along the intercoastal waterway and about 3 direct miles from the measured tide. Our tide is about 1 hour behind on the posted times.

I am now trying to find an accurate tide table to measure the smallest distance between high & low tides. From what I have been watching, it seems that the shorter tide will work a small portion of beach harder and cause more erosion.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Try Tides - USA - WillyWeather the have the most interpolated tides for beaches I have seen on any site.

One river a mile inland that has a tide one hour behind the beach at the river's mouth. While the tides 30 miles either side of the beach differ by only a half an hour. Another two beaches two miles apart by car have tides 3 hours different.

Also you must also be careful about the times as some sites list local time - daylight / standard times, while others only list standard times.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using Wtides and it's online, and it has been very good for me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I USE WILLYWEATHER ALOT - THIS ONE CAN BE GOOD TOO
Tide Charts | USHarbors
YOU CAN PRINT OUT EACH MONTH FOR AREAS YOU WANT - FORMAT IS EASY TO READ

upstatejay

Oct 6, 2008
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
ATPro
With all good replies also remember this, Weather will also effect the tides. Strong winds one way or the other can push the tide time up or back. From Table 8-Tide Prediction Accuracy of the 2017 NOAA tide predictions "Baltimore -Winds Greatly affect the times of high and low tides, owning to the large shallow bay and small tidal ranges. Gulf of Mexico locations-Water level is difficult to predict because the Gulf, being large, relatively shallow, and with a small tidal range, is greatly influenced by weather conditions."
In addition any deep dredging in an area, like ship channels for instance, can also effect tides and currents.
Happy hunting!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Tide charts give you a general idea, by using several combination of sites you get the best results. A couple I use...
And thanks Mr. Casper for WWeather
Ocean City Tide Times, MD 21842 - WillyWeather

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/

OBN0017.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking thread, old fashioned way, lol.
Here's the one I saved, from tides.info......
it's set to Hollywood, I know Ft Laud and Miami are an hour + or - .

Tides.INFO

I also check the water the old fashioned way, once I get there, with my eyes. :tard: :laughing7: :tongue3:

seaham358

Greenie
Apr 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use several free Apps on my iPhone. Rise, Tides and tides near me...
I used to go to the websites, apps make it so easy..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread