Best scoop for Knee to waist deep wading???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, that is like asking what is best detector, your going to get different opinions. I use the beach brute, I like it as it has a wide and deep mouth, I nicknamed it my "backhoe". You can get them from KellyCo and other locations. I got mine used off of EBay. ($90)

Another good one I saw being used at beach is made by Nuttall Enterprises. I saw it at Daytona Beach and it appears to be very well made and a good design Here is a link .

http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/StoreFront

Your going to pay for a good one, they are not cheap, but they cost no more then the several cheap ones you will buy and break. I broke my first one, bought a "Zeke Scoop", then got the beach brute and my "Zeke" scoop is my backup now. I don't think Zeke is making them any longer.

Good luck and good hunting.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
whats scoop is the best, what kind hunting your doing , like metal detecting whats the best water detector, everyone has one they like the best, the all S.S. one are very heavy, but will hold up in all type of hunting, hard pack sand, muck, dirt and stones digging, some has large opening and other small. also is most your hunting going to be in fresh water or salt, hunting for new lost items or hunting places that are old and the items are deep. new lost items i go with a lighter weight scoop. deeper older places i go with the better built scoop. i think most of us that water hunt have one then one scoop of the places they hunt, my scoop is 6.5 pounds, i use most the time in salt water and older lakes. when i hunt the newer swimming area . for new lost items i use the much lighter weight scoop. i say look around ask people like your doing, see whats on the market, size shape, kind of handle woood, S.S., then pick one. if you dont like you can always sell it here.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 642
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 629

glory-days

Greenie
Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites IDX Pro
Recently bought the one from Nuttal Enterprises. Very very rugged. Like all SS Scoops it is on the heavy side but so far I love it. HH, Glory-Days

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine weighs just over 6 lbs, and it is like having a backhoe, which is why i nicknamed it "My Backhoe". It can dig a deep hole fairly quickly when needed.

I did like the looks of the Nuttall and the hunter who had it loved it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used many different scoops and have settled on the one by Sunspot products. It's not cheap, but you will only need to buy one for a life time. Larger SS basket and wood handle for floating upright. This is mainly a water scoop and for land you might want the screen type for sifting. I have never broken a handle either.

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 546
  • STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 534

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman said:
I've used many different scoops and have settled on the one by Sunspot products. It's not cheap, but you will only need to buy one for a life time. Larger SS basket and wood handle for floating upright. This is mainly a water scoop and for land you might want the screen type for sifting. I have never broken a handle either.
How heavy is that Sandman? I bet its a lot lighter than the Nutall, with the wood handle causing floatation.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Stealth weighs about 6 pounds, the web site doesn't say either. http://www.sunspotedm.com/beachscoops/thescoop.html

Some of the older ones have smaller holes up front and have the rounded bottom. Being wide like it is it saves time on when you might be off a couple inches on the "pinpoint".

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best one out there for the money is the scoop from www.nuttallenterprises.com

It would take a backhoe and a semi truck together to cause it any damage.

The first scoop I had was aluminum and after the first time out it looked like a pretzel.

My second scoop was another stainless model with a rounded lip that just didn't want to dig in where I put it. It just wouldn't cooperate. Expensive and didn't work well.

My third, the Nuttal, worked just how it should. Just placing it in the wet sand it starts to go down naturally. It is worth every cent.

Thanks.

JP

KENNE-BILL

Greenie
Mar 20, 2005
Aiea, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800 & 1000, White's Dual Field, PI Pro & TDI BH, Aquasearch V.1, Tarsacci MDT 8000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a scoop from "Scoops Unlimited", I've had it for about 1-1/2 years now and it's still just about the way it was new. I use the "heavy duty" model - http://www.scoopsunlimited.com/.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Ended up getting the Nutall Enterprises scoop

It's on order - I should get it later this week. I also received my straight shaft for the Excalibur today.

I hope to hit a swimming lagoon later this week!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread