Oh Happy Day Tomorrow! Picking up New Toy!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Road trip!! Halfway up the state. Going to pick up a new toy to help with my adventures.

Since I have 5 underwater metal detectors I don't need another.

I have 14 scuba tanks to last me for a few dives.

What was I missing?

My own air compressor! Mako 8.6 CFM with 6 storage tanks. A fire department had one with 308 hours on it. Decided I couldn't pass the critter up as the dive shop that was in this town closed the year before last.

Only one issue is it has a 3 phase 7.5hp electric motor. I will have to change that to a single phase. Cost is 750.00 for a brand new one. However the for the price I got the compressor for and the 6 tanks I could justify a new motor. 3 hour drive each way, I will have pictures up tomorrow. All hoses and wiring are included. Now I won't have to lug all my tanks around and if everything goes as planned, I will be able to fill them in the back of my Avalanche without having to drag them out.

Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to check out the cost difference vs a new motor but you could get a phase convertor to run the existing motor on single phase.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that is a big Motor!! 7.5 is going to be a heavy guy. I remember replacing a 5 hp on my 80 gal and it took two of us. Better get some help and don't hurt that back!! Be Safe and Good Luck!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22126.gif DIVE SHOPS ALL OVER HERE BEEN CLOSING UP - REASON I WAS USING A HOOKAH THAN TANKS WITH MY SNUBA
JUST SO HAPPENS - NEVER KNEW - MY GAL IS A LETTER CARRIER AND SHE HAS HAD A PLACE THAT FILLS MAINLY FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
AND HELIUM TANKS - I ASKED HER TO ASK THEM IF THEY CAN DO SCUBA TANKS AND THEY SAID "SURE CAN"
I CAN GET THEM DONE FOR $5 A TANK - DONT THINK THATS THAT BAD - I ONLY HAVE 3
ONLY THING IS - I TALK WITH A HIGH PITCHED VOICE WHEN I GET OUT OF THE WATER

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just got home tonight with my new treasure.

Now to get it on the porch, motor changed and hooked up with the storage tanks under the porch. Fun fun fun!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Got it on the porch. 3 phase motor is out of it and ready to put in a single phase 7.5 horse.

Then need to put it in the corner, wire it, put the storage tanks on a cart under the porch. Run air lines, gauges, on off switch and tank fill whip and I will be ready to go.

I am thinking of having it serviced and gone over with the air filters checked and repacked. Might cost a few more dollars but it would be for my safety.

I also am thinking of filling paint ball tanks for people. Not air tanks due to liability but people playing with paint balls shouldn't be a problem. Might recoup some of my money also.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...you have big toys! That's awesome! It's fun just thinking about it. Thanks for sharing your adventure! Tt

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck with your new equipment. :skullflag:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice toy! I would go ahead and have it checked while you have the chance before you start relying on it. Even though you got it from an FD and assume they would have the proper maintenance on it, assumption is the mother of all screw-ups and could end up with something just a little off. I would rather have it checked, pay now and be sure it was working right, but then again, you might just know once you have it all together. Neat idea about filling the paintball tanks, make a bit on the side and at least make sure that the up-keep, etc. is paid for. Enjoy!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice toy! I would go ahead and have it checked while you have the chance before you start relying on it. Even though you got it from an FD and assume they would have the proper maintenance on it, assumption is the mother of all screw-ups and could end up with something just a little off. I would rather have it checked, pay now and be sure it was working right, but then again, you might just know once you have it all together. Neat idea about filling the paintball tanks, make a bit on the side and at least make sure that the up-keep, etc. is paid for. Enjoy!:icon_thumright:

TOTALLY AGREE. I have a certified service tech coming out to replace filters, oil, perform maintenance and check hoses on it. I would never trust my life with something NOT checked and certified. He will be taking an air sample and have it certified also. You can never be complacent with safety. New motor will be here this week. I have to get it in and run power to this critter before he comes out to do the maintenance on it. He will be here next week. That is going to cost almost 500.00 more but what is my life worth? With all new parts this critter should last a very long time.

Thanks for the post. A BIG reminder to any others that might want to go this route and fill their own tanks.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Congrats on your equipment addition!
Glad your always "safe", now get out there and find the goodies! [emoji106]

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and hope everything works the way it's supposed to when you get the motor in and get it checked out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread