What can you tell me about this Beach Hunter?

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I was wondering if you could give me any insight on this detector. It appears to be an older model that has been lightly used. It was for sale locally and I couldn't resist picking it up for $260.

The older reviews seem mixed. Is it worth keeping and are there any issues I need to keep an eye out for?

I see the newer Beach Hunters have a different coil and the control box may be a little different? Will the updated orange gasket fit this model if I pick one up?

IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG
IMG_3408.JPG
IMG_3409.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I found my answer, so correct me if I'm wrong. It appears that the only difference between this and the newer Beach Hunter 300 is the larger coil and everything else is the same...so the updated orange gasket should work no problem.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for one of those. Even if you end up sending it to White's for a factory upgrade, you still got a great deal! Tt

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for one of those. Even if you end up sending it to White's for a factory upgrade, you still got a great deal! Tt

Thanks...the upgrade is just the larger yellow coil right? I plan on ordering the orange gasket tonight and doing that myself.

Just put her back together ...going to let my son test it tomorrow when we go hunting.

IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITS COIL MIGHT BE BUOYANT - CHECK INTO THAT - YOU AMY HAVE TO GET WEIGHT FOR IT
I USED TO USE A WHITES PI PRO - ITS COIL WAS NEUTRAL BUOYANCY

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper thanks, I've been told the coil is a floater.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To cure floating, you can also drop a 3" slug of stainless steel down the inside of the lower shaft.

I would also unwrap the coil wire from the hand grip. Reason: as you swing the detector you will be putting a lot of pressure on the waterproof connector. This can lead to a premature failure. It is best to leave a loop like a trigger guard on a pistol and just hold onto the rubber grip and NOT the coil wire.

NICE find.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have same unit.
great for working beaches at water line
for in water add some weight close to the coil
you got a good deal on it

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the tips and insight, much appreciated.

I've been looking around and it seems some people have replaced their 9.5" coil with either the 300 or some other DFX compatible coil. What are your thoughts on that?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on ordering the orange gasket tonight and doing that myself.

Make sure to coat the o-ring with silicone grease = extra sealant and extended o-ring life.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure to coat the o-ring with silicone grease = extra sealant and extended o-ring life.

Yep roger...I sent an inquiry to Whites and asked them about updating the coil and they quoted me $240 plus shipping. I'm trying to decide if it's best to go that route with the newer 300 coil or purchase a DFX compatible coil and do it myself. Are the coils that come with the Beach Hunter 300 tuned specially for the machine or will any 12" DFX coil perform the same?

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this today on a local FB buy, sell trade group.....
View attachment 1449726

Hey thanks for posting that. Better deal than what I got mine for. I was wondering how to check the seals underneath my knobs and wasn't sure how they were attached. It looks like they are just pressed on.

IMG_3435.JPG

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some upgrades and finished her up last night.

IMG_3480.JPG

Mounted the control box upside down so the discrimination lights are visible during use without having to look under my arm. It also places the knobs to the right making it easier to adjust. Headphones now come out from the top vs the bottom.
IMG_3482.JPG

The gasket took longer than installing the coil, but I figured out using the tip of a zip tie to run along the seam helps to seat the gasket to the top part of the control box while top & bottom are sandwiched together. (sounds more complicated than it really is).
IMG_3481.JPG

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job jadocs! Looks like you're all set!

Thanks Rusty, I spent a few hours hunting with her today and she works great. Very deep when in all metal. No problems GB either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread