Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reddington Crosswaters.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use waders love them i hunted all winter just make shure you have a sharp knife handy case you get swamped practice getting out of them if you fall in a hole or get hit buy a roag wave you can get pulled under or down stream quickly

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I'm in NH and use two different styles for our weather conditions. Orvis makes a heavy rubber style with boot bottoms with outer felt bottoms. Work great for slippery rocks in rivers and swimming holes. Also use lighter sock foot waders with water boots for spring/fall. If you really get into it, get a dry suit. Use it all winter in the ocean. Happy Hunting

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use waders and have found that the ultralites work best for me. They are warm enough for most cold water hunting and easy to transport and get into. I make sure they fit snugly around the chest and I use my trash pouch belt as an extra seal in the event I slip and momentarily go under water. I also use shoulder length rubber gloves so that my hands aren't exposed to the cold water. Hope this helps, Tt

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I no longer do.
Useful item though.
Wear a wader belt.
You may perhaps practice filling them or falling with them on in the water( with help with you.) You'll appreciate a snug belt after....
Over confidence or distraction can equal incoming water.
A boot hanger can be made or bought to dry them.
Store out of sunlight.
Check for pinholes if/ when they leak by lowering a light into them.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful, I've use them from time to time. Quick and easy and always with a belt and PFD. Think mine a lite weight Hodgeman but one size up so I can dress as needed. I do like the boot foot better, felt bottoms if you can get them.

TreasureHawk

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Do not use waders. I prefer hiring illegal aliens and they carry me as I detect. Keep nice and dry that way.:laughing7:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Which every way you go, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, one manufacture's cut will be different from another. This is particularly true of boot size, height under your arm pit and in front and back. A belt is a must, I use a 2 inch wide treasure pouch belt in a very snug setting. The recommendation for a test dunking with another person's help is a great idea so you will know what it will feel like if you should ever slip and fall. In a river it is very possible...to slip on the rocks, in the salt water...a rouge wave can knock you down. BE SAFE.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in NH and use two different styles for our weather conditions. Orvis makes a heavy rubber style with boot bottoms with outer felt bottoms. Work great for slippery rocks in rivers and swimming holes. Also use lighter sock foot waders with water boots for spring/fall. If you really get into it, get a dry suit. Use it all winter in the ocean. Happy Hunting

I agree with 1KBlueTuber although I use Cabela's booted chest waders. Dry suit when it's colder and wetsuit if I'm going submerged in warmer weather. Gander Mountain and others make what they call trappers gauntlets or trapper's gloves - very long gloves coming up to the top of the bicep. If you get them, get the ones with a strap which goes across your back to hold the gloves up. Otherwise, they keep slipping down and can be a real pain in the um... elbow!
HH
dts

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Drysuits can be expensive and are as bad as waders for leaking, unfortunately, most in the zipper area. Then if you really want to hunt cold water it cost even more just to stay warm, dryglove setup is close to 150 dollars. Waders and some trapper gloves are the best way if your not a fulltime hunter.

OBN.jpg

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Don't buy online unless you have tried them on with the socks you would be wearing. I wear two pairs of wool socks. Like WaterWalker said, all manufacturers fit different. I like the ones that go the highest on your chest with wide/padded shoulder straps. Keep the receipt ! They take a beating when used for metal detecting, check for leaks and the rubber drying out and cracking before the warranty is over. Have a plan for the worst, get a sharp knife and attach it to the chest pocket or straps incase you fill them with water. Good luck, I hate wading, but that's where the good stuff is !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Ma.hunter - years ago a few guys drowned wearing waders - had a friend that went under and almost died too
I wear wet suits - in winters I wear a heavier wet suit (I get tired before I get cold)
- summers I just wear a wet suit kayak dive jacket
few articles I wrote here talk about what to wear
other stories might give you other water hunting ideas
others may just inspire you
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I have just got a pair from Cabela's stocking foot and I wear a pair of Crocks with them, some of the boot foot waders have a steel shank in them. As for safety have a look on YouTube, there are a few Australian video's showing what to do if you get water in.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waders

Well I lived in R.I most of my life, and I use to use the neoprene waders, and I could wear thermals under my clothes and I use to hunt all winter including snow storms and I use to wear wool socks on my feet to keep the feet warm, HH

OP
OP
F

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys thnx for the great info,,,,many of these things I didn't think of,,,looks like i will be getting new knife to put on the wadders :),,,thnx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread