Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SantaMonicaBeach_Prohibitions.jpg

How long do you figure before they realize that they actually permit something that's fun.......
#@%$#$%% goobermint!

Upvote 0

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that in Tennessee. Because I live in California and hunt Huntington Beach all the time and have never seen that.

OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, not TN; I just ran across it on the web and assumed it was CA but cant say for sure.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Possibly an outdated Santa Monica sign. I hunt H.B. Too and have never seen such a sign.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Champ, I see nothing there that says "metal detecting allowed". It simply telling you things that are prohibited. Hmmm, so here's what you need to do: Go to Santa Monica city hall and ask permission (can't be too safe after all). Give them a contract to sign. Be sure to use words like "dig", "take/remove", "lawsuit", "legal" and "indian bone" during your request . So that they have the full implications of your request. Then report back to the forum on whether it's allowed or not.

Also I see from the list of prohibitions that you might be S.O.L. anyhow. It forbids nudity (undressing). We know that you detect in the nude, so I guess this precludes you from the git-go :(

OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Champ, I see nothing there that says "metal detecting allowed". It simply telling you things that are prohibited. Hmmm, so here's what you need to do: Go to Santa Monica city hall and ask permission (can't be too safe after all). Give them a contract to sign. Be sure to use words like "dig", "take/remove", "lawsuit", "legal" and "indian bone" during your request . So that they have the full implications of your request. Then report back to the forum on whether it's allowed or not.

Also I see from the list of prohibitions that you might be S.O.L. anyhow. It forbids nudity (undressing). We know that you detect in the nude, so I guess this precludes you from the git-go :(

I was waiting on you to join this thread, Tom. And you sure didn't disappoint! :icon_thumright::thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess I'm missing the point. There's nothing about metal detecting on there and all of the prohibitions seem pretty much common sense.

I've never encountered any sort of resistance to my metal detecting at the Southern California beaches.

During some very rough ocean I've been advised to work the dry sand only. Pretty thankful for that...I was being carried away by a rogue wave at the time!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I guess I'm missing the point. ....

I think Champ was poking fun at the legal versus not legal aspect of md'ing/public places. Some folks consider the absence of prohibition to be satisfactory. While others worry that perhaps someone could still gripe on other grounds. Hence our duty to ask to make sure.

So you won't need to "look over your shoulders". Or perhaps: Simply because it's not on the wooden sign, *still* doesn't mean there's not something written down at city hall (in the same way you don't see murder forbidden on the sign). Thus, .... ask to be sure.

.... I've never encountered any sort of resistance to my metal detecting at the Southern California beaches. ...

To which *most* would say that : "That means it must be ok". Right ? Because *certainly* if something were wrong, someone would have said something to you by now. Eh ? But what if you've "just been lucky" all these years ? After all: People get away with speeding and don't get tickets. Right ? Hence it's your duty to ask. And once you receive the "no" (because your question landed on the desk of a purist archie), then then guess what? : You've "received resistance". Right ? :tongue3: :BangHead:

OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, please don't take this too seriously. It was more a commentary on goobermint's attempted control of every aspect of our lives. And I guess a commentary on how laws are sometimes necessary/warranted because SOME people are complete idiots that think only their selfish personal desires/wants matter.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, with a sign like that wouldn't it have been easier just to say "Have Fun and Enjoy Your Beaches" Then list what you could do??? I agree that it does look like an old sign but it also does not say no MDing so have at it! I agree that those probably as Champ said were the result of an overreach of the local government or their reaction to some groups complaints about something they didn't like, etc.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
".....and all of the prohibitions seem pretty much common sense."

I don't agree. If you can drag electronic equipment out and play during the day, why no drum set? That's BS!
It also says no dressing or undressing on the beach. Heaven forbid one might take off their sneakers or shirt...

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
".....It also says no dressing or undressing on the beach. Heaven forbid one might take off their sneakers or shirt...

Well you know what that means don't you ? It is your obligation to go to Santa Monica city folks and make sure that you can take your sneakers off. After all, it explicitly dis-allows "undressing". So you must make sure this doesn't include sneakers. After all, you wouldn't want to "get arrested", right ? You don't want a ticket, jail, or your sneakers confiscated. Right ? You don't want to be "looking over your shoulders", right ? You shouldn't "assume", right ? And just because everyone else does it, "doesn't make it right" right ? You don't want to give a black eye bad-name to all other sunbathers, do you ?

And once the city of Santa Monica gives you the green light to take your sneakers off, get them to put that in writing (so that you have something to show someone who objects). And don't content yourself with a lowly desk clerk giving you the green light. After all, what if they're not properly authorized to be making this decision ? Go to the top of the chain (mayor or whatever). Can't be too safe after all, eh ?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, please don't take this too seriously. It was more a commentary on goobermint's attempted control of every aspect of our lives.

But the sign says "...they have been adopted for your maximum enjoyment..."

Huntington Beach and Santa Monica Beach are 45 miles apart.

I used to do HB but usually got skunked with a handful of small change and beer caps.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...the result of an overreach of the local government or their reaction to some groups complaints about something they didn't like, etc.

You have to remember this is Commiefornia.

The gov't tries to control every aspect of your life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But wait, there's more....!

Isnt it nice how the selfimportantselfservingAhats look out for us:

tumblr_opwx5fCXkK1s6lzfwo1_1280.jpg

Apparently Australia has the same disease. But Metal Detecting and digging holes with metal implements is OK!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously??? No helmet, no run. No, it's a joke, who photoshopped this??? How dumb can you get. Wear a helmet, fall, protect your head, everything else is exposed to damage/breakage. Okay, what prompted this, Cheetahs running down the boardwalks and causing crashes and head injuries resulting??? Only thing I can think of that gets up that kind of speed without a bike of vehicle. Accidents happen, life happens, I could trip over my other foot, fall, break my neck and die tomorrow, helmet may not do a bit of good, but I would prefer it to be of my own choosing. Guess you're right, doesn't say no MDing, carry long metal rods with round ends to smack people with and sharp digging tools, dangerous, watch out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread