The Search For A New Action Cam

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm in the market for a new action cam setup, something with good audio, so I jump online and type in "action camera". HOLY CRAP! This market appears to have exploded in recent years. Sooooo.....hoping to gather some feedback from actual users of these various options. HELP! :laughing7:

PS: Need at least 1080, a variety of mounting options, good battery life, and with a little ingenuity I want to be able to have good audio both inside and outside the headphones. And saving some $$$ is always a priority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good battery life can be subjective and you didn't mention budget- theres some ridiculously priced cams out there.
I think the most important thing for outside use is a mike (or maybe something over the mike) that cuts down the wind noise.

I use a Swann that meets your criteria, but youre probably looking for something a bit more hi end if I read you correctly. I only use it for personal documentation when I don't want to get my cell phone near salt water. It was about $100 and has lots of mounting options and a waterproof case.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago I used the Tachyon XC series and very satisfied but now they are no longer produced. I just started using the Garmin Virb elite, Good battery life, 2.5 hours easy, plus xtra batteries run about 15.oo each, rechargeable. All will capture your audio if you have them mounted to the ear cup, which is a must for us excalibur users. Video quality is very good but once uploaded to youtube it does seem to degrade some. Several diff ops on video quality, 1080 down to 640. Price is about 119 on ebay if you shop around and wait. And they are water resistant for 30 minutes under, also cool is it has GPS tracking. Found I use that very little but interesting to check your tracks once and awhile. Comes with the software for that..called BaseCamp. Only bad I have seen it is a little slow on the commands, a easy to do slide to record button..takes about 10 seconds for it to start recording. Water proof case is about 40.oo extra but not needed unless your diving. So far I've captured a few golds on outings and interest how quick I forgot what really happened.

Screen capture
RD31.jpg

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I'm in the market for a new action cam setup, something with good audio, so I jump online and type in "action camera". HOLY CRAP! This market appears to have exploded in recent years. Sooooo.....hoping to gather some feedback from actual users of these various options. HELP! :laughing7:

PS: Need at least 1080, a variety of mounting options, good battery life, and with a little ingenuity I want to be able to have good audio both inside and outside the headphones. And saving some $$$ is always a priority.

Just received my new GoPro Hero 5, works great. Will record from 460-4k..
And you don't need a waterproof housing like before. I have got water intrusion in my Hero 3 + and damaged it.
They are about $399.00, but there is a trade up program with gopro,If you send in a old one you get up to $100 off.
Does not matter if its damaged or not working.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got Akaso EK7000

60 quid with a zillion accesories...LOVE IT!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKASO-EK70...8&qid=1496075728&sr=8-1&keywords=akaso+ek7000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread