pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I want to do some ocean beach (sand) detecting and wondering about a decent quality, yet lightweight scoop.. Planning on doing the wet sand as well as the dry. Is there a single scoop that'll work well in wet and dry, or am I needing a couple different ones?

What are your scoop recommendations?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've the Stealth 920iX, but that's a very costly and kinda heavy scoop. But it should last my lifetime.

I forgot it when I hit the water about a month ago and borrowed Indian Steve's old 6" scoop - scoop forever with that before finding a target.

Another member here was asking the same question, and then purchased a Stavr scoop - but hasn't received it yet for a review:

sand scoop - STAVRscoop Stainless Steel SAND SCOOP, for Beach and Water Metal Detecting Hunting

There are others available here and there, but those are the two I'm most familiar with. Kellyco sells scoops as well. I did purchase a hand scoop from them for my cousin, but haven't been down to visit him yet and see how it works.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read the Sunspot Stealth warranty before you decide.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I will rat Steve out a little.

I went out with him one day and for some reason decided not to go in the water. He was still using that 6" scoop I mentioned above. My Stealth was brand new so I suggested Steve use it as I wasn't going to get in the water anyway.

After that hunt, Steve immediately ordered a 920iX Stealth, and that 6" became the loaner I borrowed :)

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Stavr Moonstrik 6 and quite like it.

Heavy is relative to your strength, and the amount of wet sand you dig up.

My opinion would be to not waste your time on a small mouth scoop if you are going to do water detecting, as DSA pointed out "you will be digging for ever".

The type of floor bottom will make difference as to your choice, so think of what you will be digging in first.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunspot Stealth either the 920iX or 720i.

As far as weight, it depends on the handle. I have the CF and can tell you it is very light. Last weekend a couple of people who were using T-Rex's wanted to try it and couldn't believe how light it was.

The 920 is wider but shallower and the 720 is narrower but deeper.

Lifetime warranty even on the CF handle.

IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like this guy

HEXAGON -10 Beach Sand Scoop Metal Detector Hunting Tool Stainless Steel by COOB | eBay
[quite a few other models too]

Ukraine but he is legit, great scoops and far cheaper than similar domestic models.
Stealth makes great scoops, but not everyone wants to drop $100's on a scoop.

I usually use one scoop for the water and another for sand, not because one sifts better than the other but my water scoop is a beast and I'd prefer not to lug it on land, so I use a lighter one in dry sand.
With the large wood handle and some foam wrap it actually floats, so is no problem in water. I use a tether and it just follows me around until I need it.

Mushy sand [and some muck/clay in the water] tends not to sift at all no matter what scoop you use, if I'm close to water I'll retrieve the target and shake it out in the water.
If water is a ways away I'll find the target then dump the scoop out and locate it by trial and error, or with a pinpointer.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this guy

HEXAGON -10 Beach Sand Scoop Metal Detector Hunting Tool Stainless Steel by COOB | eBay
[quite a few other models too]

Ukraine but he is legit, great scoops and far cheaper than similar domestic models.
Stealth makes great scoops, but not everyone wants to drop $100's on a scoop.

I usually use one scoop for the water and another for sand, not because one sifts better than the other but my water scoop is a beast and I'd prefer not to lug it on land, so I use a lighter one in dry sand.
With the large wood handle and some foam wrap it actually floats, so is no problem in water. I use a tether and it just follows me around until I need it.

Mushy sand [and some muck/clay in the water] tends not to sift at all no matter what scoop you use, if I'm close to water I'll retrieve the target and shake it out in the water.
If water is a ways away I'll find the target then dump the scoop out and locate it by trial and error, or with a pinpointer.

Yep I do it the exact same way.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Stavr Moonstrik as mentioned, and a new 720i that I forgot I had purchased??

I also have a super light and super easy to make homemade sand scoop. I use that one on very dry sand.

Metal Detecting Toys.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not going in the water...RTG 6 inch aluminum is a great scoop...lightweight, well made and good price....in the water I only use my Stealth but if Im only hunting wet sand then its my RTG.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as weight, it depends on the handle. I have the CF and can tell you it is very light. Last weekend a couple of people who were using T-Rex's wanted to try it and couldn't believe how light it was.

View attachment 1454541
View attachment 1454542
Which one do you like the most?...I have the 720 and love it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1454541
View attachment 1454542

Plus 1

I have the 720i and love it. I prefer my stealth deep and narrow.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use Stealth Scoops.:headbang:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know non posters that have had troubles with stealth scoops and seen some here too
usually breaking handles it seems - in a soft sand area with little shells and rocks/coral
they might be ideal - but without a floating sifter to dump into - I would be working 2-3 harder
to retrieve targets up here where I hunt spots with rocks and shells - I cant imagine trying to pry up rocks as
big as your head with one of those
but whatever works for you
- I have smaller back ups - which ive never had to use - have taken my 2 piece
on many trips with out a problem - this handle will never break - don't think ive ever seen anyone with a RTG
ever have a problem

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just purchased the Stealth 920 and have used it 3-4 times. Can't believe I hunted all these years without one.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reilly's Treasured Gold (RTG) Aluminum scoop is the way to go. Inexpensive, light, tough as nails.

Attachments

• a16.jpg
    a16.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 112

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one do you like the most?...I have the 720 and love it.

That's tough because it depends on the conditions and depth of targets. For deeper targets in the water it would be the 720 I think.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DONT SEE WHY YOU WOULD EVER NEED ANOTHER TERRY - BUT IF YOU DO - THINK ABOUT HAVING THEM PUT A SHARP STAINLESS LIP ON IT
CUTS THRU SEA GRASS AND HARD BOTTOM EVEN BETTER :icon_thumright:

Reilly's Treasured Gold (RTG) Aluminum scoop is the way to go. Inexpensive, light, tough as nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread