Current: Equinox 800, Makro Gold Racer, Fisher CZ-20, various Tesoro's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently bought the unit for snorkeling in shallow water or anywhere i cant snorkel with a full size unit. The detecor works very well underwater, it is stable at max sens as it is a PI machine. At max sens it will air test at 3.75" on a nickel, dime,quarter. On a large ring it will airtest at 5", med gold ring 4", soda can size object 12". In wet sand depth is the same. I prefer this over the vibratector 740 as it is a bit deeper. Only con is, the battery is built in Li-Po thst does not seem to be easily replaceable after 3 years it will need replacing. Also plugging in the charger is cumbersome and non- intuitive. Besides this it is well built and works very well for shallow targets, so pick firm underwater sand to detect in.

OP
OP
flysar

flysar

Mar 8, 2013
WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review. I'd be using it at snorkel depths in freshwater streams primarily. Easy and light to throw in a pack so if I don't use it on a hike no big deal.
I think I'll at least drive a couple hrs and look at one, probably buy it.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review. I'd be using it at snorkel depths in freshwater streams primarily. Easy and light to throw in a pack so if I don't use it on a hike no big deal.
I think I'll at least drive a couple hrs and look at one, probably buy it.

For $169 its a great buy especially if you have plenty of beaches nearby or water holes where a full detector is cumbersome or prohibited. Most people don't even know its a detector, looks like a cute long toy shovel lol.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give here a report on the Scuba Dector next month. I leave in 2 weeks from now and staying abroad at a crowded beach for almost a month. I will give the Scuba Dector a good test drive and give my report later.

OP
OP
flysar

flysar

Mar 8, 2013
WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give here a report on the Scuba Dector next month. I leave in 2 weeks from now and staying abroad at a crowded beach for almost a month. I will give the Scuba Dector a good test drive and give my report later.

That's great, I'll be looking for it!

OP
OP
flysar

flysar

Mar 8, 2013
WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to look at a Scuba Tector on the 20th so I thought I'd bump this to the top to see if there are any recent reports.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought one, tried it out, returned it. Bought a vibra tector 740, returned it (have had and use vibra probes when diving often, prefer them over any other diving/waterproof pinpointers). The deteknix had at least twice the depth/range as the 740, maybe 3 times more. The deteknix would be handier if it used 9 volt batteries, charging is kinda hinky and a pain with the cord usb adapter. Ordered another deteknix scuba tector, but couldn't get myself to keep it, again, returned. The modes on the deteknix were easy to mess up with the buttons and if it gets put into diving mode, its a pain to deal with. I can see it useful for niche places, just not for me around my spots at this time.

Last edited:

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much! I will be looking for your evaluation.

Charles

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Scuba Tector works great. I went out for the first time with mine last week to a local swim beach. I really like it. 20156011_1727390617560026_4521731564207439216_n.jpg

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just back from my vacation. Some good news and some bad news from the scuba dector. The positive is that it works. Found over 400 coins in the water, most of them worthless roebels from Russian tourist but it was fun. Didn't find any gold but when you are using this detector while snorkeling you're detecting depth is about 1-1.5 meter. This is not the depth people loose gold and other good stuff. I did find 2 silver rings. The depth of this thing is good and you know most of the time if you're object is big, a coin or something else.There is a difference in sound. Maybe not everybody will hear it but as a Tesoro user im used to only rely on my ears. The battery life is also good. I used it about 6 hours before i started to reload.
Now the bad news. Reloading the battery is like hell. It's almost impossible to connect the usb cable to the inside connection without dammiging this connection. 3 days before the end of my vacation the detector start giving problems. The depth was only just 3-4 cm and when i tried to switch it of and back on it started to give an alarm or did other stuff it shouldn't. Over and out for the detector and now i have to send it back. It's still under warranty, let's see how good or bad the Deteknix warranty is. I keep you informed about that.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concerning the charging cable. When I received the detector, it was already connected and stored under the black cap. There is really no need to ever disconnect the cable. Just charge it and store it within the cap and it is ready for next charge. I disconnected it once and as long as you make sure the connection matches, I had no problem making the connection, even with my nubs (fingers). So I suggest just leaving it connected. Concerning customer service. After using the Scuba Tector for the first time, after about 1/2 hour, I starting receiving a phantom beep which would repeat every 6 seconds. I turned the detector off and back on. After about another 10-15 minutes, it would start with the false signal again, every 6 seconds. I called Deteknix and they said they had not encountered this issue up to this point, but would immediately send me a shipping label via email so I could send it back for a replacement. They did and I shipped it back. Hopefully I don't have the same issue, because I really love this detector. So far, Deteknix has been very responsive to my issue. Here are pics of the second time I took it out. 20403615_493545207658216_1877119221_n.jpg 20401361_493545220991548_896919007_n.jpg

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: Deteknix just called and said they checked out my detector. They said the issue with the beep was that it is the "lost detector" signal. If you set the detector down or lose it, it will give a beep/vibration, either to allow you to find it or as a reminder to turn it off. They said that is what the signal was. To get it to stop, they said just detect an object and that will reset it. I will do that when I get it back and start using it again.

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just back from my vacation. Some good news and some bad news from the scuba dector. The positive is that it works. Found over 400 coins in the water, most of them worthless roebels from Russian tourist but it was fun. Didn't find any gold but when you are using this detector while snorkeling you're detecting depth is about 1-1.5 meter. This is not the depth people loose gold and other good stuff. I did find 2 silver rings. The depth of this thing is good and you know most of the time if you're object is big, a coin or something else.There is a difference in sound. Maybe not everybody will hear it but as a Tesoro user im used to only rely on my ears. The battery life is also good. I used it about 6 hours before i started to reload.
Now the bad news. Reloading the battery is like hell. It's almost impossible to connect the usb cable to the inside connection without dammiging this connection. 3 days before the end of my vacation the detector start giving problems. The depth was only just 3-4 cm and when i tried to switch it of and back on it started to give an alarm or did other stuff it shouldn't. Over and out for the detector and now i have to send it back. It's still under warranty, let's see how good or bad the Deteknix warranty is. I keep you informed about that.

Hi Peter, see many people comment about charging. How long does it run before recharge needed?

And 2nd point see many comments on is snorkel depth limit. There is a way around that without SCUBA. I have done a lot of hookah diving for dredging, but motor and pump is too heavy for hiking. There is a new way. Not quite on market. It is the Nomad from Brownies which is the biggest salt water dive hookah company. They KickStartered the Nomad, it did not make it (I signed up for one) but they will build it anyway. This is backpack sized unit that runs on batteries and weighs less that 20 pounds, and you can dive 30 feet down with it. I am thinking of combining an underwater detector with the Nomad when availible for crevicing. Hence ended up on this thread. Issue on time is can you dive 4 hours without recharge on Tector? Do not see time on ads for them.

On Nomad just pop in rechargeable std lithium batteries. I pocket full of batteries and you can go pretty much all day. Suggest keeping an eye on Brownies as they just announced a deep dive electric (SeaLion, think 75 feet) that is quite small but not quite hikable, it will be out in May and they have more units in the oven. Am thinking combo of underwater detector and these small units from Brownies good for rivers and beach. You can hike with 100% of what you need. Here is video on Nomad at bottom of this page https://diveblu3.com/introducing-blu3/ Plus they say 3 systems, there will be one even smaller which for river folks may be ideal. Although see a girl skateboarding with 30 foot one (Nomad) so it's quite portable.

Cheers

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
being it is pulse, does this unit have any discrimination ? Saw a review that says it does not see ferrous at all, which find hard to believe, but is that the case?

Found a video that says 10 hours, wow more than enough, have folks here got their to last that long?

Last edited:

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ready to try my new toy in Cancun June 1! Report to follow. So far, impressed by air tests.
2FA6DDDA-DDC8-4C11-B5E4-8F6F4C75A66D.jpeg

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
has any one air test one to see what its max range is ??? like a car , plane or a ship ....some ww2 wrecks are under the sand where am at

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How did it work for you on your Cancun trip?
The water was rough where we were staying. It did respond to targets, but it was impossible to recover them. I was expecting to use it snorkeling, but our plans changed and didn’t get the opportunity. This machine would work great under the right conditions.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just back from a months vacation at the beach. Unfortunaly it's the same story like last year. I only used the detector for one day before it went crazy. I used every trick out the book to get it working normally but nothing. I even called my dealer 4000 km further for online advice but nothing worked. Last year it worked 14 days before it broke down. I sended it back to my dealer for repair and wen it came back it seems to work normally again and i didn't used it untill the next vacation that was now. It's a pitty beause the detector works well and got my a lott of coins. I will send it back again for repair but i think i will take another extra detector on my next vacation in cause one brakes down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread