PP mode VS Disc mode video

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting in PP mode for long time, much deeper in PP than discriminate...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking that the lack of shallow/fresh targets is that other detectorists have preceded you. What surprises me is that you are seeing significant target depth in clay. I would have thought that a heavy clay layer would drastically slow down the rate of sink. Could swimmers be stomping the targets deeper?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume he was using an Excal in disc, but, otherwise set up like yours? Same coil and same settings?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same exact setup right down to the stock 8" coils. I started off with the larger 12x15 SEF but had to make the change to the smaller coil due to so many spots of deteriorating irons/metals (not the same thing as identifiable individual iron/metal targets, more like areas with very high ground mineralization.) These spots will cause your detector to act as if its encountering frequent sources of EMI but it's actually spotty areas with high ground mineralization. Switching to smaller coil helps to combat this.

You run into this sort of thing a lot up here, beaches that are fairly clean for the most part but many of them do contain scattered areas of bottom with "a lot" of deteriorating metals, i.e, rust halos, grains and tiny pieces of metals, that sort of thing. In disc mode, even with the small coil it will drive the Excal nuts, PP allowing for much smoother running. However, even with the large coil in PP it can still drive the machine nuts.

As for the depth of the targets, I'm constantly amazed at how deep some of those targets are in that hard clay, even walked some of them off because they were simply too difficult to retrieve with the scoop I was using (preparing to correct that issue as soon as I can locate the materials....:laughing7:)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the video Big Scoop....So many variables it's hard to compare the two for it to come out fair. I do think PP is the better of the two but best for each person to learn both.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video Big Scoop....So many variables it's hard to compare the two for it to come out fair. I do think PP is the better of the two but best for each person to learn both.

That's it, learn both modes intimately as both have their decided advantages at times. I'm constantly switching from one to the other, the only real way to get maximum performance and information out the the machine (the remote switch is priceless!) I've learned "boatloads" since moving back to Indiana and forcing myself to use the Excal in all the various environments and conditions. Would love to get back to those beaches in Florida and take all of this new knowledge with me. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread