Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got in the water today for a couple hours, and fanned out a fake cob.
photo-514.JPG
photo-513.JPG
Living in the keys theres always a chance of finding a real cob, so everytime this happens I nearly have a heart attack under water. This one is a pretty good fake one and it took a minute to figure out what was up, but after 30 - 60 seconds I had realized it was a no go!! Im about 1 for 1 fake versus real. Everytime I dig a real one I end up digging a fake one. Guess im do for a real one next. Also got a silver and garnet earring, a 55 D wheat penny, a small silver link, and another fake loose diamond photo-512.JPG
photo-509.JPG
Also got the usual clad and a sweet 72 ford ranchero for my kid.
photo-510.JPG
photo-511.JPG
Got some confirmation on a spot where I was told 100+ real cobs were found in the past so im going for the real ones as soon as I can get to that spot. time to get serious again and try to find some real ones.

Upvote 0

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Cz-21 cz-3d cz-5 whites classic 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have had a heart attack fanning that on the bottom. I spent 2 hours in the water today as well, and my finds looks identical to yours including a toy car, Mine looked like some foreign vehicle. I would really love to go to the keys one day and do some hunting.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found any such thing, how do you fella's tell fake from real?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the weight on this one felt close, but the finish was not what it should be like if it were in the water that long. Now maybe it fell out of a modern day setting and has only been relost a couple days, so lets look at the symbols and characters. A little to big, not quite exactly how they should look but pretty close if you haven't seen , owned, and examined a real one before. On further examination its not silver. And the real nail in the coffin, a casting line or seam running all the way around the edge of the coin. The seam on this one was faint but visible. Even though this one is pretty good, I had my doubts right away because of where I found it, no where even close to a wreck site. Within 1 minute I knew for sure it was fake. Even though it was a little blackened with a little rubing and cleaning I could tell it wasnt silver. Dont think that I didnt stop to check these things again and again every 10 minutes or so hopeing to see somthing that would change my mind. I kept rubbing it wishing it would change into a real one but it never did. Oh well next one will be real !! I hope !!

If im really not sure I can post it here for the experts to examine. Or let one of a number experts check it out down here. Plus ive learned my stuff pretty well after finding some real ones down here. photo-286.JPG this one is my avatar and very similar to the fake one

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart, experience shows in your post, thank you. One thing I am sure of, when you first found it, must of caught your breath for a moment. And I understand only too well the rubbing and wishing it were real type of thing. You have found the real thing before, and hope and am sure you will again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread