Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
the spanish used a hinged belt buckle on some uniforms that served to secure a strap that connected two matching halves of a set of body armor and was peen-riveted to its host. this type is very similar to other European forms of the period. boomer

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boomer said:
the spanish used a hinged belt buckle on some uniforms that served to secure a strap that connected two matching halves of a set of body armor and was peen-riveted to its host. this type is very similar to other European forms of the period. boomer
Bless your heart, Boomer! You have out-done yourself. Your explanation seems very logical and highly probable. Thank you very much!
DymonsNRust

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange Sea Serpent Embossing on St. Augustine Artifact

More on my obsession with this artifact...
After poring over it for the 500th time...I noticed on the left side of the large center rivet, is a worn, but still legible embossing of what appears to be a ship (galleon, caravel?) with a sea serpent entwined on the forward mast. You can make out a serpentine head, claws and spear pointed tail. There is also another serpent embossed above the same rivet (slightly upper right side) that appears to be swimming with squiggly humps through the ocean.
My question now, is, does anyone know if this sort of symbol or art is related to the Spanish sailors, Portuguese? Pirates? In the separate display square in my original photo, there is a small piece that fell off the larger one. An embossed ~ A.
Found about 10 - 15 miles north of St. Augustine. :?

Attachments

• 21st.jpg
    21st.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 29
  • breast plate IMG_20121005_151254.jpg
    breast plate IMG_20121005_151254.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 31
  • rsz_imag0029.jpg
    rsz_imag0029.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 33
  • get-attachment (4).jpg
    get-attachment (4).jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 29
D

DrewShade

spanish artifact

dymons...I live in the jacksonville, St.augustine area... I am looking for people to hunt with....If you are interested feel free to drop me a line.....Thanks geat find

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fun. The next time I am planning to go up that way I'll get in touch. Maybe we can get a couple of more Floridians interested?
DymonsNRust

Attachments

• pinpointer open.jpg
    pinpointer open.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 42
  • pinpointer bagged.jpg
    pinpointer bagged.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20131214-01747.jpg
    IMG-20131214-01747.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-20131214-01749.jpg
    IMG-20131214-01749.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 33

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
symbols

DymonsNRust, on a lot of spanish armor, the ones that pay for the voyage are a member of a family that has a coat of arms, would put there crest are family name on a part of the armor. the A may be part of the family name and the coiled dragon may be part of the family coat of arms. the dragon wrapped around the mast of the ship would be, that this group was protected by the family that the coat of arms represent. now the hard part finding the coat of arms. i'll check and maybe we will find something. by the way, i work out of jacksonville for csx railroad, 500 water st.. i travel a lot but we should find something. have you checked with the fort at augustine. boomer

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Boomer. I believe you are correct about the family crest/coat of arms. As my research progresses, I find there are others trying to identify coats of arms from Spainish wrecks. YES! The hard part is finding the family the crest belongs to. First, what ship (if indeed the piece came from a wreck or just lost on the beach in a struggle?), then what year, and to whom it may belong? That's the ultimate fascination for me TH for relics!
I live in Lake Co. (Yalaha) so I do not get up to St. Augustine as often as I'd like to.
I hope to get back up there before the end of February (great weather for hunting). I will bring the piece with me, and as you suggested, show it at the fort. Please keep in touch. You seem to be the 'Guru' in our group! LOL!
DymonsNRust
PS My Dad worked for CSX railroad before he retired. Art Anderson.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 27
  • First.jpg
    First.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 28

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Where

was the piece found in lake county or on the east/west coast, near a river or lake, this will help. i new an art anderson. they called him double A. it seems that everybody on the railroad has a nickname. boomer

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: JUNK!

Eddie said:
Thanks for the laugh! How anyone could turn that piece of xhit junk into a artifact & especially gold is the real mystery.
Hi Eddie. You're welcome (for the laugh)... however, I'm a bit confused :?...because, recently you posted an inquiry concerning the availability of this object for sale...? (and I quote):
Eddie
Forum: Shallow Water & Beach Posted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 00:04 Subject: OK
Very peculiar find. Would you be interested in selling it?
Thank you for your input.
It is quite obvious that you are indeed a GENTLEMAN
of vast experience and well formed, educated opinions.
I'm in awe!

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Where

boomer said:
was the piece found in lake county or on the east/west coast, near a river or lake, this will help. i new an art anderson. they called him double A. it seems that everybody on the railroad has a nickname. boomer
Thank you for your interest, Boomer.
The piece was found on east coast Guana River Beach
(ocean side) just above Pointe Vedre beach.
Are you familiar with the area?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
We have a hit

That piece of scrap that someone referred to may have something to do with the spanish first landing in florida. you may hold the one piece of the mystery. where did de leon land. you need to get in touch with the guana state park. But remember, they may take control of it. i would first do research on de leon than call the state park. also the news paper would be a nice touch. The second part may be that it was part of a uniform from the spanish march up the coast to attack the french fort here in jacksonville. And people say there are no treasure found stories.
I would have to give you 10 ad-a-boys for this one. boomer

A 1592 account by a Spanish historian has led present day historians to believe that Guana River was the site of Ponce de Leon's first landing in Florida. Its precise location is unknown.

the French established "la Caroline" in June 1564. Spanish forces arrived 15 months later. Marching north from their newly established beachhead (San Augustin) they captured la Caroline in September, 1565. Nothing remains of the original Fort de la Caroline;

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Boomer. I welcome constructive criticism and advice from someone as enthusiastic about this very interesting and rewarding hobby.
For a lot of us, (myself included) it's not just finding coins and jewelry in the dirt and sea, it's about discovering remnants of human history. Actually seeing these rare relics and fragments of real lives, lived long ago, verify and put flesh on the bones of history.
I am going to act on your advice and keep researching this piece until I am satisfied with it's origin. If you find anymore info - or know of an expert - Please keep in touch. DymonsNRust

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go pee in your own cornflakes.

I' m with you boomer.We need no small minded loudmouths here!It is what it is! Don't smash someone elses hopes just because they won't sell it to you!BEGONE!!!My thoughts...If your not happy,try another hobby.

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, for the vote of confidence guys. Scrap, junk or whatever, not the point here ... this is a fun and informative website with a lot of helpful, respectable people of all ages why not keep it that way?

OP
OP
DymonsNRust

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close-up photo of Ship & Serpent?

Here is a close-up photo of what appears to be a ship w/ serpent.
Albeit, it is vague and ill defined, but you are looking at tiny form no bigger than a 16th of an inch! Perhaps I just have a vivid imagination...but it helps sometime in this hobby! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread