Newbie At beach metal detecting

Dec 27, 2012
So I'm currently on the first day of vacation in myrtle beach, South Carolina. I have a Garrett at pro and pinpointed and I've been learning to continually ground balance but I've been doing much better in the dry sand. Only have found a quarter and 2 pennies and a bunch of trash so far but with lots of people around. I've read a lot about the "water line" but it's constantly changing so is it just where ever it is at the time? I also have a question about people that use the at pro on the beach, do you get signals in the wet sand and then they like disappear? I will get a 4 inch signal then dig and then it says 8 or 10 inches then I will get like nothing. Just confused a little right now and looking for some help to hopefully find some rings 🤓. I'm actually at the surfside pier if anybody could give me some places to go specifically around there also. Hoping to go real early tomorrow before everybody tomorrow. Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

expl0rer

Oct 22, 2016
Orange County
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to use the ATpro until I moved to the coast. After tons of research and many false hits I came the conclusion that it wasn't a great machine for salt water. Since you're on vacation I assume you're just looking to get by. I would recommend sticking to the dry sand with that machine.

OP
OP
levijohnsonhunter
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah I'm from Indiana so I don't see salt often. I will probably stick to the dry sand. Glad I'm not the only one with false readings [emoji28]

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, typical of single frequency machines. Take it out of Pro mode and turn down the sensitivity until it's stable. You'll lose depth, but, it should be usable.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the beach today and my machine has a "wet sand" mode. Even with that, it was kind of hard making out the coins at the water line. Got about $2.00 in change. No gold. Lots of machines have trouble with the salt. I have found more good stuff in the dry sand than in the water. However, I don't go more than a few inches deep. I can cover a LOT of dry ground to their few hundred feet of water. Water recovery is tough.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, turn down the sensitivity and that should help with the falseing. last time I hunted Myrtle beach I had more luck in front of the dunes in the dry sand. Lots of coins and a really nice vintage silver ring with a huge cabochon stone. I wouldn't just ignore the waterline though. especially at low tide. Go slow and listen carefully. Even with the falseing one can usually tell its a good signal. Good luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In September I got a HUGE gold and diamond ring just above the high tide mark, and early January got another diamond ring in the very high sand. Don't overlook where people are exiting the beach. The lose a lot of stuff getting on and off the beach also.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The water line refers to the ocean's edge, wherever that happens to be at that moment.

This time of year, dry sand is generally the place to be as there have generally not been enough hot "depositor days" to seed the wet sand. From the tide forecast, you will see ongoing sanded-in wet sand conditions for at least a few days. If I were in Myrtle Beach now, I would hit the dry sand, concentrating on where the beach chairs/umbrellas/ sunbathers are and any high traffic areas, such as beach exits or established walking lanes. Covering a lot of ground is the key, and a screened detector such as the AT Pro is an excellent choice. Early morning is a good time to hunt, before the chairs/umbrellas go out.

But the AT Pro is difficult to use on wet sand ocean beaches because of falsing/ forced low sensitivity. If you have a day with some wave erosion, it may be worth trying wet sand where you have seen lots of people in the water. Otherwise I would stay in the dry sand, and have fun!

Charles

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can hunt wet sand with an ATP but you have to really know the machine and constantly fiddle with it. I'd concur on sticking to the dry sand for an ATP.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And bring along a "test target" to get the "feel" of how it rings up.

OP
OP
levijohnsonhunter
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys, more people in the sand would mean more stuff probably which makes sense. People are starting swim a lot now tho. What is so called "wave erosion"? And how would I spot or know what to look for? I'll probably stick to the dry tho sense it's easier to dig anyways

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erosion can take many forms, from major cuts to minor changes in the color of the sand. Knowing the beach you're on is the best method in determining if there has been any erosion. At a "new-to-you" beach, look for low areas, and those with shell or cobble layers. Naturally, holes and troughs need to be checked too. If the beach looks smooth and unremarkable, run a zig zag pattern from seawall or dune base, down into the surf to see if there is a pattern of targets. If you find one, run circles around those targets and/or hunt parallel to the water following that target layer down the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread